yconic - OFFICIAL: UBC SAUDERS
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OFFICIAL: UBC SAUDERS

A photo of GameTime GameTime
UBC supplement is right around the corner...

For people applying what are your averages and your ec's...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
53 replies

A photo of Business1234 Business1234
lol ur fine...its sauders.. not ivey

im going in with 91% and 20+ ECs(choosing top ones for sauder)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I wish...Is sauders your first choice? If so what are your "top" ec's...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iLoveHouseMusic iLoveHouseMusic
I just found out that Sauders doesn't use provincial exams in admission calculations!!!
I hope I'll get in!

Math 12 - 99%
Physics 12 - 94%
Chemistry12 - 98%
English 12 - 81%

volunteering - 100 hours
work experience - 3 years
musical instrument - 4 years
I have life :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

They take the better of the two marks. If your provincial exams improve your overall mark, then they will take it...if not they will stick with the original class mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iLoveHouseMusic iLoveHouseMusic

@GameTime wrote
They take the better of the two marks. If your provincial exams improve your overall mark, then they will take it...if not they will stick with the original class mark.

YAAAP!!! I am so happy :) Come one everyone must go on Facebook and press "Like" button besides UBC name lol

Are they the only universities which take the better of the two mark?

By the way I like your ECs. Some of them are pretty good, especially food drive!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Business1234 Business1234
I have like 3 leadership positions...and 17 other activities such as rugby, tennis, art, etc.

1st choice.. ivey/queens
ubc is my back up
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
It is standard in BC now to take the higher mark, either blended or inclass. Outside of BC, this is not the case.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For a lot of universities outside of BC provincial exams are mandatory+they count towards your admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
These would actually both be misconceptions. I have found in searching, atleast to the schools I have applied to, that the provincial is optional and the higher of either the in class or the blended is taken, with the exception of English 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was positive that some schools require provincial exams. And two schools that were thrown around were Waterloo and McGill...but now I looked at them and I have come to the realization they don't require them.

Nice catch.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ghimire ghimire
yea your fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hotmustard121 hotmustard121
Any 2nd year transfers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
I'm a 2nd year transfer.
A Sauder dude came in the other day and explained that you needed breath and depth.

Basically saying that they like a large DIVERSE array of activities (not just volunteering- work experience in multiple sectors, different sports, etc.), and of course commitment (You have two ECs that you've been committed in for 4 years, and someone else has 5 ECs that went for just a few months each. They are going to take you because you show that you have balls).

He also mentioned that if Sauder were to admit on grades alone and without the supplemental, you would need a GPA of roughly 3.5. The core GPA matters considerably more. If you have a core GPA of 3.5 and an average supplemental, you should be fine. If your core GPA is a bit lower, then your supplemental better be superb.

They take roughly 1 out of 10 appliants for year 2. For high school students, it's 1 out of 16.

Oh yeah, anyone transfering, shoot me a PM. Itd be nice to get all of us together since we'd most likely be working on the same courses and maybe can even help each other out. I've done Macro + Micro + Calculus + Academic Writing in my last semester, so I probably can provide a bit on input on those.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Although that the 1 out of every 16 sounds horrendous...you also have to consider the fact that approximately only half of the applicants pass the minimum average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Damn. Not sure if I should take microecon again since I got 73 which is my lowest mark by far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hotmustard121 wrote
Damn. Not sure if I should take microecon again since I got 73 which is my lowest mark by far.

They look at BOTH your marks, so if you can do considerably better (at least 10% higher), by all means go for it. Otherwise if you don't have much hope then just focus on MACRO and Calculus, because:

Say you took it again and got 80%- 7% better. 7/4 = +1.75% to your core average... not too much. and they will notice that you took it twice so they may use that against you

and try to get a good prof for English, because it's an extremely subjective course. Get the wrong one and you will get destroyed. I got a bit over 90% in the other 3, but English killed the core GPA

@GameTime wrote
Although that the 1 out of every 16 sounds horrendous...you also have to consider the fact that approximately only half of the applicants pass the minimum average.

In that case, then it'll be 16% of the students who meet 84% (pulled from the Sauder site).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of echan59100 echan59100
I want to go to Queens, but Sauder is good too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've already taken the three other pre req courses and did quite a bit better. Do they really look at taking a course twice as negative?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hotmustard121 wrote
I've already taken the three other pre req courses and did quite a bit better. Do they really look at taking a course twice as negative?

Well, depends. If you were the admissions committee, and you have the following 2 applicants with a similar supplemental application:

Person A: Core average of 80.75%, who took each course once
Person B: Core average of 81%, who took a course twice
Which candidate would you take?

But, I heard taking once course twice isn't too bad- it's common. Note that to make a significant difference (i.e. be REALLY worth it to pay $300-400 to take that course again, as well as spend that additional time), you're going to have to get at least 6% or better (+1.50% to your core average). i.e. if you have that 73 of yours, ensure you can get 79+

I know I probably mentioned 10% in my last post, but then I'm not sure how much you value your money and time so it's difficult to give you an exact number. Point is, if you can do MUCH better, go for it. If you don't think you're going to do that much better, don't bother.

They take into consideration that if you retake a course you obviously know a lot of the material, hence easier to get a good mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote

In that case, then it'll be 16% of the students who meet 84% (pulled from the Sauder site).

I haven't been around to look at that. Link?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is that for transfers or first years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
1/16 =/ 16% admission rate
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@GameTime wrote

@forthewinwin wrote

I haven't been around to look at that. Link?

@VegaKrazmych wrote
1/16 =/ 16% admission rate

1/16 is 6%. That's how much of ALL Sauder 1st year applicants get in.

16% of those who make the cut-off, get in.

Near the bottom of this page, is where I got the numbers from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poachedsalmon poachedsalmon
forthewinwin you seem really knowledgeable haha :)
You've obviously done you're research, my question is how come you didn't make it last year :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyyli8 cyyli8
Any current Sauders Students able to comment on the quality of the program? Perhaps what you're majoring in? And do they have double specializations there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0