yconic - Official Waterloo Math/CA Thread
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Official Waterloo Math/CA Thread

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Lets get all prospective students as well as past applicants and current students into one program into this thread!

We can talk about why you want to go Math/CA as well as answer other questions people have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
224 replies

A photo of blackjack blackjack
yaah Math/CA! :D my first choice!
does anyone know if its possible to switch from Math/CA to FARM or some other math specialization (except DD or comp sci) in second year without having to do any extra terms? I don't know if I'm going to like accounting that much to be honest..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Its quite vague on the site but it might be possible.

"At any time prior to their 3A term, honours students in good standing within the Faculty will be eligible for admission to the plan of their choice, subject to the limitations below"
- http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/MATH-Admission-Specific-Honours-Academic-Plans

You will however have to take some courses as electives require for FARM first year - BUS courses
- http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/MATH-Math-or-Fin-Analysis-Risk-Mgt-Degree-Reqmnt
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks! I just emailed waterloo asking that. If I can't, I will probably apply to the general math program as well.

So is Math/CA your first choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A couple things... why don't you just also apply to FARM or general Math?

and atm it is, I've been changing things around lately : \
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
A couple things... why don't you just also apply to FARM or general Math?

and atm it is, I've been changing things around lately : \

The thing is that I don't want to go into the general math program and regret that I didn't do the Math/CA instead. So I think math/ca will always be my top choice. But yea I'm thinking of applying, I should get on that.

Well I hear Math/ca is good if you are dedicated in becoming an accountant. I'm not really that dedicated.. seeing my school didn't offer accounting x.x have you taken accounting/do you love it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why don't you just apply to both or all 3 ....

Math/CA is really good but you pretty much HAVE TO become a CA after or else there is no point. I've taken accounting and I like it although I'm more of finance guy but I see the value of a CA in a business/finance career.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you look at the courses you have to take from the CA side of Math/CA, if you don't like accounting you're gonna die from dry-ness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

alright listening to you and talking to my dad made me apply for FARM. I'm not gonna apply to mathematics since I'm probably gonna regret not going into math/ca or FARM if I go into mathematics.
Well thanks! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For Math/FARM, and general Mathematics, you can always switch out or into provided you have an 80 average. This applies for Double degree and all the other math programs as well. But for Math/CA you only have one shot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Why do you know you want to be a CA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't ... In fact I'm leaning towards the math or CS double degrees these days.

However, Math/CA is definitely a very solid program if you want a diverse set of business/finance skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lookatme lookatme
For me, I ultimately want to be an actuary. I understand that you major in actuarial science in second year provided you have a certain average. But can you also major in actuarial science in the Math/CA program? Would it be feasible to take those actuary exams when you're in the Math/CA program? Or should I just take the normal program?

I'm pretty confident that I would have the marks needed to get into that program, but I'm kind of confused whether or not I should go into the Math/CA program or the regular Honours math one.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You CAN specialize in actuarial science for the math half of Math/CA.

Math/CA is much harder to get into the than the honours math, (95 vs. 85)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lookatme wrote
For me, I ultimately want to be an actuary. I understand that you major in actuarial science in second year provided you have a certain average. But can you also major in actuarial science in the Math/CA program? Would it be feasible to take those actuary exams when you're in the Math/CA program? Or should I just take the normal program?

I'm pretty confident that I would have the marks needed to get into that program, but I'm kind of confused whether or not I should go into the Math/CA program or the regular Honours math one.

Thanks!

I think we're in a similar boat. If you can get in Math/CA I think you should since you can specialize into actuarial science, or you can just drop Math/CA completely into the Honours Math program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
Math/CA is ultimately heavily focused toward a CA designation. Even the co-op terms are manipulated so they occur during tax season. The math side adds flexibility by letting you choose between three specializations: Actuarial Science, Finance and Information Systems Management.

That being said, I do know of a few people in my year who plan to write ActSci exams.

Don't know if it still applies, but applying to Math/CA means that you'll be considered for FARM (regular, I think).

High school accounting courses are mostly bookkeeping - you don't need an accounting designation to do that. However, you can expect to take more courses similar to those to gain the necessary basic understanding of accounting. CAs typically start out doing tax and audit, but their business knowledge lets them enter many fields and about a third of CAs work in industry (as opposed to public practice at an accounting firm).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
My average right now is about a 94. The only thing is though, my math is really low, somewhere in the 80s. If my average is still well above 90, but have a low math mark, will waterloo care? Oh ya, i have plenty of ECs and leadershp activities, not too worried about that. What are my chances at Math/CA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
Your math mark and your math teacher's reference play a part in the admissions process. Work hard on getting that up - practice problems, tutoring, etc. Since Math/CA falls under the Faculty of Math, all the admissions processes are handled by the people who do the rest of the math admissions.

If you're not doing to well in math, maybe you should consider AFM-PA instead? Getting into Math/CA means you take math to Calc III, Linear Alg, 2nd-year stat courses and more... and all at the honours math level. It's definitely not easy math!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Exactly, people want Math/CA over AFM because they know its slightly harder to get into but most people don't realize that they don't want to pursue post-secondary mathematics at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Thanks for your reply! :)

But the thing is, it's not that I don't like math or I'm bad at it. I was getting around 96-98% from grade 9 math all the way to advanced functions and data. The only problem is my calculus mark and my calculus teacher right now. He's totally screwing me over. I'm still in shock that my math mark right now is in the 80s. Of all courses, I'd think math would bring my average up, but nope, not this year.

I just think if i'm going into math, i really should have a very high math mark. So i'm scared that math admissions is going to weigh my calc mark more than everything else. The only positive thing I think think about right now is that i have pretty decent math involvement at school, like tutoring and doing contests. Also i have pretty good connections with all my math teachers, except for my calc teacher cuz everyone hates him.

Please give me some advice! >< I love math, just that it's not reflected in my mark right now!! AHH!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well if you love math and the only reason your mark is low is because of your teacher, definitely go for it. and I guess get your advanced functions teacher for the teacher reference part.

If you have tons of ECs with a 94 average I think you'll be set.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
If you're set on it then, good luck!

You might consider filling in the text box on your supplementary application which allows you to note any issues concerning your marks that you'd like admissions to be aware of. Also, write the Euclid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Thanks everyone! :) I think that's what I will do...Hope everything works out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0