yconic - OMG Is This a Joke??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OMG Is This a Joke??

A photo of ILovePeach ILovePeach
I am a visa student in grade 12 here. I just got an alternate offer from U of T -- Material Engineering
For U of T, I applied engineering:
1.Engineering Science
2.Mechanical Engineering
3.Material Engineering
4.Track One (I know it's dumb to put it here..)
5.Any program with space

My grade 12 scores are
Advanced Function: 95
Chemistry:95
Calculus:97
Geography:96
English:89
Data Management:99
Physics:96
Top 6 with mandatory subjects for engineering: 95.3

IElTS Overall band 8.0
with Listening:8.5
Reading:7.5
Writing:7.5
Speaking:7.5
I am not saying that I deserve engsci or what, but at least mechanical is fine
A classmate of mine got in EngSci with 93, 7.5for IELTS and almost the same extracurricular activities with me.
Is this suppose to be a joke? Biomedical Engineering is what I've been dreaming for a long time...
U of T.. I just wanna confirm the offer of mechanical engineering from Waterloo now.
Sooooooooo outraged :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
How well did you do in grade 11? A program like EngSci might look at that.

If you really think that it's a mistake, you could call them and tell them your situation, I don't see how you wouldn't get in. They've gotten things mixed up before in the past.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dynamics Dynamics
First semester of Materials is exactly the same as Mechanical. If you really want to take Mech, you can easily transfer into it. I suggest talking it over with the people at UofT though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
Wow, thats crazy, can't believe UT is rejecting students with those marks.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@shirlx wrote
How well did you do in grade 11? A program like EngSci might look at that.

If you really think that it's a mistake, you could call them and tell them your situation, I don't see how you wouldn't get in. They've gotten things mixed up before in the past.

The only mark I have for grade 11 is ENG3U.. 'cause I wasn't here until 1 year ago.
They had my transcript from China but those are fine...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Dynamics wrote
First semester of Materials is exactly the same as Mechanical. If you really want to take Mech, you can easily transfer into it. I suggest talking it over with the people at UofT though.

Thank you. That's what I figured... I decide to go to the admission office personally on Monday.
But there is no reason why I have to go to U of T though, Western, Waterloo and Mac are all good schools as well.
Just feel like looking for an explanation for 3rd choice alternate offer...
U of T makes me feel humiliated. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c1 c1
My friend was in exactly same situation last year. I am sure Waterloo even better For B.Sc. U of T is like secret society; you will have some chance to be accepted there latter. Did you get these marks at private school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@c1 wrote
My friend was in exactly same situation last year. I am sure Waterloo even better For B.Sc. U of T is like secret society; you will have some chance to be accepted there latter. Did you get these marks at private school?

++1, did you get them in private school? If yes, then it definitely looks suspicious to them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@c1 wrote

True.. But I am a student in private school, not a student in public school who goes to private school or summer school for certain courses.
And two of my classmates have received offers from U of T engineering science in early March.
Their average were 93 and 94 with IELTS of 7.5 in both cases.
It doesn't make sense to me that why would they accept 93 and 94 but suspect a 95 from exact the same school.:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c1 c1
ILovePeach

The best thing what you can do in this situation is to write them an official formal letter (maybe email will be better) and ask them about reconsideration.

I was denied by Waterloo, and then I asked them about reconsideration of my application. After two weeks of silence, they said that they reconsider my application if I will send to them a weird requirement (course descriptions from my non-Canadian school)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@c1 wrote
ILovePeach

The best thing what you can do in this situation is to write them an official formal letter (maybe email will be better) and ask them about reconsideration.

I was denied by Waterloo, and then I asked them about reconsideration of my application. After two weeks of silence, they said that they reconsider my application if I will send to them a weird requirement (course descriptions from my non-Canadian school)

What happened then? Did they admit you to your desired program?
I will go to the admission office tomorrow and ask them for reconsideration and explanation, but my councilor said chances are not good though. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c1 c1
ILovePeach

I am still waiting their new decision.

I will go to the admission office tomorrow and ask them for reconsideration and explanation

Don't ask about explanation, just about reconsideration and be polite and formal as much as possible.

I have a doubt about coming to them, but it is your decision. I'm not sure that they will give you a chance to speak with person(s) who made your decision. Therefore, you couldn't change anything in this way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

[quote=c1]

I have a doubt about coming to them, but it is your decision. I'm not sure that they will give you a chance to speak with person(s) who made your decision. Therefore, you couldn't change anything in this way.

No intention to fight with them, just ask nicely : ) I'll just tell them the truth that their EngSci offer is my first choice among all the other schools' offers.
Last year there was a guy in my school with 92 average but was REJECTED by U of T and he went there to find out why. Those officers told him that his GaoKao results are too bad to be accepted by U of T engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0