yconic - OMG!@!@!@! Do Universities take ICS4U Seriously?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OMG!@!@!@! Do Universities take ICS4U Seriously?

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Finished my exams and i got 99% in ICS4U as my final mark. It can really bring up my average, because my other three are like an average of 83 (All above 80 though).
But when you include ics in the top 4 the total will be around an 87 average.

PLEASEEE TELL ME WATERLOO WILL COUNT IT AS MY TOP 6. Do they specifically focus on my Adv Functions, Chem, and English mark? I BOMBEDD THOSE EXAMS, they were all above 85 before i wrote the exam.

The CS marks in my school aren't inflated either, Class AVG is like high 70s. I like computer science/software engineering with a passion and will continue to do so. I put in a lot of effort in the course and in return i got a good mark.

ASDASDGASHERUABIWH5UIAW39HBAWI9HVT9AWEHVTIAWS

I CANT EVEN SLEEP IM CRYING RIGHT NOW :'(((((((((((
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Yeah it's a real course so why wouldn't they count it? lol
No use losing sleep over it now, just go drink your troubles away and sleep tight :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@iliketurtles wrote
Yeah it's a real course so why wouldn't they count it? lol
No use losing sleep over it now, just go drink your troubles away and sleep tight :)

Its so under-rated, people think its like a free average booster and they can get like 90 without even trying...

Some schools are just so behind with respect to the cirriculum its become a joke :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well it really is at some schools...like mine :P I got 95 this past semester in ICS 3U1 and I did nothing, so I'm gonna guess ICS 4U1 isn't too difficult either at my school :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Yeah of course, sleep easy now :) Engineering has 5 per reqs right so ICS4U can be your 6th top mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mhz mhz
They'll take it seriously, lol. I already got accepted to Computer Science at Waterloo and my ICS3U mark was 97 (Didn't hand in one assignment that I didn't even know existed), probably going to get 100 in ICS4U. Comes naturally to us I guess :P

Waterloo has a really good CS program and will respect that mark. (In my opinion it's in the top 3 with MIT and Stanford)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@mhz wrote
They'll take it seriously, lol. I already got accepted to Computer Science at Waterloo and my ICS3U mark was 97 (Didn't hand in one assignment that I didn't even know existed), probably going to get 100 in ICS4U. Comes naturally to us I guess :P

Waterloo has a really good CS program and will respect that mark. (In my opinion it's in the top 3 with MIT and Stanford)

from what i've seen in the rankings; u of t CS > waterloo CS

:p

I hope i get in man, i got 84 in english and 82 in adv functions (I know its low)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@iRamie wrote

@mhz wrote

I hope i get in man, i got 84 in english and 82 in adv functions (I know its low)

is that a typo?...i think you meant u of t CS < waterloo CS

Waterloo is well known for anything math related...they are ranked higher than u of t for mathematics. Plus I think Waterloo has co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I guess the ICS4U difficulty ranges greatly from different schools... I heard there isn't a set curriculum. Anyways, your mark is very impressive considering your class average. My class average for ICS4U is somewhere around the high-70s to low-80s, with the highest mark in my class being a 95. Personally I'm not really fond of the subject, nor am I good at it. I finished with a mid-80.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Viking21 wrote

@iRamie wrote

@mhz wrote

is that a typo?...i think you meant u of t CS < waterloo CS

Waterloo is well known for anything math related...they are ranked higher than u of t for mathematics. Plus I think Waterloo has co-op.

I would honestly say they are pretty much on par. U of T has a better international status than Waterloo, but Waterloo also has co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just my personal opinion, but I would rather U of T math/cs > Waterloo math/cs (without co-op). With co-op I'd do the opposite...just my preference though :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
ICS4U is listed as a "U" course, so of course they'll consider it in your top 6 marks! It also makes a lot of sense to look at your CompSci mark when you're applying to a computer science program...

LOL actually, I'd say ICS4M (back in my day) was the hardest course I ever took in high school, because it was the one course where I had to think through problems for hours a week and invest long periods of time on projects.

Hope you get into Waterloo! Personally, I'd say the Waterloo co-op system works better for CompSci's than U of T's equivalent, the Professional Experience Year (because computers are everywhere, and you can try your hand at multiple sectors in industry).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
Waterloo SE might take it into consideration. Otherwise it will just be another grade in your top 6. What they focus on the most (UW SE/CS, UofT CS) is your calculus and advanced functions marks and your english mark somewhat. So make sure you do really well in those.
Was this helpful? Yes 0