yconic - Online Economics
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center



Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Online Economics

A photo of g93 g93
Has anyone taken economics online? How was it? How was the workload? Was it hard? How was the whole online thing?

Any help is welcomed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies
 
A photo of g93 g93
No one? Really?

Has anyone taken any online course? How was it? And can't you just cheat on tests? Or is it just open book? Mostly assignments?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

 
A photo of MedSchoolDream MedSchoolDream
Since nobody is replying..

I've taken an online course through TDSB. Online courses are for people who want to work at their own pace and get the work done at their own time. There is usually one assignment due every week. Sometimes the teachers are lenient and will let you hand in over-due assignments. Some assignments are really easy, and some require hard work and effort to do well in.

There are no tests online. Everything is done from assignments. However for most courses there are mid-term and final exams. These exams have to be written at a certain school. There is absolutely no way to cheat.

I haven't taken economics but I'm guessing it'll be an easy course. The course material and description doesn't really sound that hard. You can also get assistance from your "online peers" and your teacher if your having difficulty.

Overall, online school is a good experience, but it can get really boring at times - because its very different from your typical classroom environment. No, you don't have to be on the computer all day; just dedicate an hour a day to the assignments/work given.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

 
A photo of g93 g93

@MedSchoolDream wrote
Since nobody is replying..

I've taken an online course through TDSB. Online courses are for people who want to work at their own pace and get the work done at their own time. There is usually one assignment due every week. Sometimes the teachers are lenient and will let you hand in over-due assignments. Some assignments are really easy, and some require hard work and effort to do well in.

There are no tests online. Everything is done from assignments. However for most courses there are mid-term and final exams. These exams have to be written at a certain school. There is absolutely no way to cheat.

I haven't taken economics but I'm guessing it'll be an easy course. The course material and description doesn't really sound that hard. You can also get assistance from your "online peers" and your teacher.

Overall, online school is a good experience, but it can get really boring at times - because its very different from your typical classroom environment. No, you don't have to be on the computer all day, just dedicate an hour a day on the assignments/work given.


Thanks for the reply!

I have a spare next semester, so I would use that time for the course.

I have heard economics is easy, and someone on the old forum said that online economics was easy I think, I don't remember who. Thanks for your help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

 
A photo of MedSchoolDream MedSchoolDream

@g93 wrote

@MedSchoolDream wrote
Since nobody is replying..

I've taken an online course through TDSB. Online courses are for people who want to work at their own pace and get the work done at their own time. There is usually one assignment due every week. Sometimes the teachers are lenient and will let you hand in over-due assignments. Some assignments are really easy, and some require hard work and effort to do well in.

There are no tests online. Everything is done from assignments. However for most courses there are mid-term and final exams. These exams have to be written at a certain school. There is absolutely no way to cheat.

I haven't taken economics but I'm guessing it'll be an easy course. The course material and description doesn't really sound that hard. You can also get assistance from your "online peers" and your teacher.

Overall, online school is a good experience, but it can get really boring at times - because its very different from your typical classroom environment. No, you don't have to be on the computer all day, just dedicate an hour a day on the assignments/work given.


Thanks for the reply!

I have a spare next semester, so I would use that time for the course.

I have heard economics is easy, and someone on the old forum said that online economics was easy I think, I don't remember who. Thanks for your help.



That sounds like a good plan. Don't forget that online courses (and any course for that matter) can be really teacher-dependent. If it's an easy course, but you get a hard teacher, your screwed.

Don't let that deter you from taking an online course though. :P I'm sure, you'll do fine. GL!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

 
A photo of Mar Mar
Right now I am taking Economics 12 online. It is a very interesting course. I am doing quite well - 97%. I hate this course and love it at the same time. You just have to memorize important stuff (5%) and skip the rest (95%). There are a lot of assignments in this course but questions are very very interesting. I learned A LOT just by answering the questions.

I make my own life hard by memorizing everything what is written in textbook. I just want to secure myself and be ready to tackle any unexpected questions.
For example, I've spend 3 hours memorizing 50 pages about GDP when I could go online and learn almost the same identical information in less than 5-10 minutes.

Economics is a science. Therefore, you can use almost any book or online tutorials to learn economics. There are many online quizzes on the web. I guess this course will help me A LOT in my first year.

All my unit tests are MC and the questions are pretty straight forward. Since English is not my first language I find some questions hard but only because of the words I don't understand and MC answers which look almost identical to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

 
A photo of g93 g93

@Mar wrote
Right now I am taking Economics 12 online. It is a very interesting course. I am doing quite well - 97%. I hate this course and love it at the same time. You just have to memorize important stuff (5%) and skip the rest (95%). There are a lot of assignments in this course but questions are very very interesting. I learned A LOT just by answering the questions.

I make my own life hard by memorizing everything what is written in textbook. I just want to secure myself and be ready to tackle any unexpected questions.
For example, I've spend 3 hours memorizing 50 pages about GDP when I could go online and learn almost the same identical information in less than 5-10 minutes.

Economics is a science. Therefore, you can use almost any book or online tutorials to learn economics. There are many online quizzes on the web. I guess this course will help me A LOT in my first year.

All my unit tests are MC and the questions are pretty straight forward. Since English is not my first language I find some questions hard but only because of the words I don't understand and MC answers which look almost identical to me.



Thanks for the reply. I think online would be good for me, because I don't really pay too much attention to stuff, I just memorize the really important stuff. Like chem in Grade 11, I had decided early on that I hated chem, and wanted to go into business over engineering, so I didn't have any ambition for chem. I didn't write any notes down, didn't do any homework, skipped a few classes, and then before the test I would ask my friend about stuff, he'd tell me or I'd quick check the textbook or online, and managed to pull off a pretty decent mark, actually one of the btter in the class. This is typically how I do things for most classes, except I write notes, occasionally do homework, and do a little review.

You mentioned that because English is not your first language, you can have troubles with MC questions. Have you taken data? It seems like a course that you need to know English well to undesrtand what the question is asking. Figured it'd be hard for people who's first language isn't English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

 
A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
When is the last date to take an online course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

 
A photo of Zion Zion

@Mar wrote

Economics is a science.



A dismal one at that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0