yconic - Ontario Attendance Policy
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ontario Attendance Policy

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
Since getting accepted in early April, I have been doing some serious slacking. Our school has a 5 period day, I have lunch 4th and spare 3rd. 3rd period starts around 10:40, and I have developed a habit our of leaving at this time, and missing whatever class I have 5th period. In addition to this I have slept in several times and missed first period. I think this may total to 15 or so absences in 2 of my classes. I have read that in some states, 8 unexcused absences results in you failing the course (which seems stupid). I am a good student in class and get good grades, and my teachers dont seem to hold anything against me. Do I have anything to worry about here? Am I gonna get informed last minute that I have failed a class because of attendance? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Are you from the U.S.? I ask cause you said "states" but your topic says ontario.

My school doesn't do the automatic fail thing just because you skipped classes. In fact, last year in grade 11, I skipped about 30 days worth of classes in one semestre and I still got a 90. This is in Ontario, by the way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
I've been doing the same thing. As has everyone else in my grade. The teachers sent out an email that said this year was the worst attendance of a grade 12 class in the schools history (lol), and they said they're invoking "old school board rules" where if you have 20 unauthorized school absences they have the authority to revoke your credit even if you're passing. I'm in the Peel District School Board.

So according to them, this "rule" was already in place, just no one followed it. It could be a bluff, but who knows, they emailed that email to all the teachers and had staff meetings about it.

I'd contact your administration and ask for exact rules if i was you. However know this, the school still wants people to graduate and they will give you fair warning if you're not going to get your credits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Don't worry. It's always been more of an empty threat to get people to attend class. I've yet to hear of anyone, who otherwise did well in a course, get nailed for poor attendance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Whew...Thank god, I can keep on skipping. And I am in Ontario by the way, it was just that the only examples i could find were from the states.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Doorhandle wrote
Whew...Thank god, I can keep on skipping.

LMAO!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mwfm2011 mwfm2011
my ___ teacher told me that If I miss any more classes I will not be getting my credit either..
mind you I am getting a high 80 in that class...

she can go %%%% herself ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mwfm2011 wrote
my ___ teacher told me that If I miss any more classes I will not be getting my credit either..
mind you I am getting a high 80 in that class...

she can go %%%% herself ;)

None of my teachers have even mentioned anything to me, but I feel like they are quietly bottling their rage...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I skip whenever we aren't doing anything important. If my teachers want to schedule blocks where we aren't working, then I'm going to stay home and do nothing rather than sit there and chat.

I've never been called on it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@VegaKrazmych wrote
I skip whenever we aren't doing anything important. If my teachers want to schedule blocks where we aren't working, then I'm going to stay home and do nothing rather than sit there and chat.

I've never been called on it.

I basically skip whenever I feel even remotely tired or as you said, if we arent doing anything (between 2 and 4 classes a week). Unfortunately, my English teacher is very caring and always thinks I am deathly ill, so she asks a lot of questions...My economics teacher is hopefully just giving up on me, he isnt asking too many questions. Feels good. Most of my friends are trying to maintain all their marks, even though their offers allow them to drop their averages by like 10%, I just dont get it. I am going to try to get as close to my 75% average condition as I can, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
UBC requires us to keep a 67% average (for our 4 provincially examinable courses) and I go to like one class a day. It's great. Even if I get 50% in two of the "important" courses I have this semester, I'm still going to be well over the conditional requirement. Needless to say, I'm getting soooo lazy.

The UBC Admissions team even posted a blog post stating "YES BELIEVE IT ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS PASS AND MAINTAIN A 67" or something along those lines because no one can believe it haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0