yconic - Ontario High Schools
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ontario High Schools

A photo of waazup waazup
Hi, I have a question.

Is it possible to go to your high school while living outside the boundary? As in, there is a peel school nearer than your desired one but you do not want to go there. If you change your address with the school to your new one, will you be forced out of the school? I heard they don't do it to senior kids (11 and 12s). Is it still possible even after talking to the VP or principal and if you are one good kid?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well I don't live in the east,
but over here in BC we can still go to a school even if we're out of the boundary.
Should talk to your school principal or office about it and clarify.
Pretty sure you can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@waazup wrote
Hi, I have a question.

Is it possible to go to your high school while living outside the boundary? As in, there is a peel school nearer than your desired one but you do not want to go there. If you change your address with the school to your new one, will you be forced out of the school? I heard they don't do it to senior kids (11 and 12s). Is it still possible even after talking to the VP or principal and if you are one good kid?

Thanks.

I live in London, and if you want to go to another school and not your feeder school, then you have to apply in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
I dont wanna talk to the VP's or principal because then it might get suspicious and cause them to investigate my case and find out later.. this is my dillema

I am also 80% sure that they will not kick me out as I am one of the top students in my grade and if I also have a huge concern, etc. But you never know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
I have no idea if this is how it works in your district or not, but where I live you can only go to a school that you're not zoned for if that school has a specialized program that isn't available at your local school or in "special circumstances".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shomzie322 Shomzie322
in peel, it only is allowed for specialized programs of which most if not all need to applied for in advance. I am and always hv a been a peel district school board student and i was attending the sci tech program at tomken road in mississauga but was liing in scarborough for a while which even that is pushing it. generaly, if u dont wanna go to ur home school, apply for a program at another school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
but I only want to go to my current school - NO OTHER SCHOOL is an option for me.

Can i just keep my old address. the only thing they send in the mail is university acceptances, right? Anything important, since these can be seen online?? Plus I can just probably drop by and pick them up.

What about phone #. Anything important needed here to call you for? - but I can get it changed anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@waazup wrote
but I only want to go to my current school - NO OTHER SCHOOL is an option for me.

Can i just keep my old address. the only thing they send in the mail is university acceptances, right? Anything important, since these can be seen online?? Plus I can just probably drop by and pick them up.

What about phone #. Anything important needed here to call you for? - but I can get it changed anyway.

A lot of people do that, like.. they keep the same address as their old house just to stay at a school.
I think it's okay as long as the new tenants living in your old house are okay with it.
I changed my address but used the same home phone as my old house even though I changed it as well.
Don't want annoying calls from the school going to my house - especially if I miss class for some reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fearlessforever fearlessforever
DO NOT TALK TO YOUR VP OR LET THE SCHOOL KNOW :)
I'm in grade 12 and moved out of the boundary a year ago and have been attending the same highschool in ONT :)
i didnt notify the school and kept the same address.
When applying to university keep your home address the same as your old one but change your MAILING address to your new adress :)
I have been receiving all my uni letters to my new house :) and your highschool doesnt find out! And for phone number, my school never had the right number from the start so it was no big :)

GOODLUCK!
ps. if you let your school know they will NOT let you stay :p
happened to a friend!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu
apply for cross boundary... that's what most people at my school who travel 1 hour everyday do...

and it also helps to investigate the schools' policies because each school have their own policy (as some are WAY too overpopulated, e.g. mine, and some are underpopulated, e.g. my neighbouring school who no one wants to go to)...

mostly, if you have a high average, strong social/community tie to the school they won't kick you out... (Its like bail lol... if you have money and strong community tie you get bail :P)

then again... you can just stay there and lie about it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@fearlessforever wrote
DO NOT TALK TO YOUR VP OR LET THE SCHOOL KNOW :)
I'm in grade 12 and moved out of the boundary a year ago and have been attending the same highschool in ONT :)
i didnt notify the school and kept the same address.
When applying to university keep your home address the same as your old one but change your MAILING address to your new adress :)
I have been receiving all my uni letters to my new house :) and your highschool doesnt find out! And for phone number, my school never had the right number from the start so it was no big :)

GOODLUCK!
ps. if you let your school know they will NOT let you stay :p
happened to a friend!

OMG DUDE I LOVE YOUU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You answered my main question I had and ONLY concern I had regarding those uni addresses...SO RELIEVED now that I found out you can change your mailing address!

Thanks SO much man!!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0