yconic - Ontario Student possibly attending UBC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ontario Student possibly attending UBC

A photo of MCLeBlanc MCLeBlanc
I applied to UBC Vancouver Campus and was looking at residences when it hit me. I'd love to have year round residence, but I'm not sure if that's possible for first year? I will be 19 by the start of the September semester, which seems to count for a lot. Was wondering if anyone has any experience here?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of JBlaney JBlaney
I live in a basement suite that's about a 10 minute bus ride from the campus, and it's cheap. Try searching for basement suites, etc in the Point Grey, Kitsilano areas of Vancouver.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
Is vanier and totem only for Sept - April?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of metro metro

@StudentAtStPats wrote

yes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm pretty sure you can pay a little extra and stay for the summer too, since there is summer school and all that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@metro wrote

@StudentAtStPats wrote

yes

So... in the summer, either you make friends and share rent in an apartment or you live on the streets... cool :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Most people go home for summer. If you want to stay for the summer, then know that most rental contracts, at least for houses/apartments around campuses, start May 1st. So if, like most university students, you plan on staying in a house/apartment after first year, then you'd be looking for places in your first year and have access to that place by May 1st (rez typically kicks you out by April 30th).

You're in grade 10, though... So don't be stressed that you haven't got it all figured out yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KatrinBlack KatrinBlack
This is a bit off topic but of interest to any students in British Columbia. By law, all young drivers must display a sign with the letter N on it showing they are New Drivers. This has been a point of news along the western coast as there have been a large number of young women being abducted and killed there. Area residents have been removing the signs to keep their young women safe. If charged, the fine is just over $100 and worth the increase in personal safety. I suggest all young women do not post the sign while in BC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KateDorotheou KateDorotheou
Im pretty sure there is a way to get year-round housing but it involves a lot of re-applying and there are no guarantees youll get in...I cant remember the details but I had to look up the same thing (Im also an Ontario student who made the jump to BC). It was all pretty vague and there were possibilities of not being allowed to stay the summer if the application didnt go through. I would just look for an appartment off-campus. A pretty long commute and probably expensive but guarantees you wont be kicked to the curb lol!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@KateDorotheou wrote
Im pretty sure there is a way to get year-round housing but it involves a lot of re-applying and there are no guarantees youll get in...I cant remember the details but I had to look up the same thing (Im also an Ontario student who made the jump to BC). It was all pretty vague and there were possibilities of not being allowed to stay the summer if the application didnt go through. I would just look for an appartment off-campus. A pretty long commute and probably expensive but guarantees you wont be kicked to the curb lol!

Not really.
It depends where you find the apartment.
If it's near the Kits/Point Grey/Broadway area, it's just one straight bus to UBC.. and about a 15-20 minute ride. You don't even need to walk once you get off the bus.. The campus is literally right in front of your eyes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin

@KatrinBlack wrote
This is a bit off topic but of interest to any students in British Columbia. By law, all young drivers must display a sign with the letter N on it showing they are New Drivers. This has been a point of news along the western coast as there have been a large number of young women being abducted and killed there. Area residents have been removing the signs to keep their young women safe. If charged, the fine is just over $100 and worth the increase in personal safety. I suggest all young women do not post the sign while in BC.

LOL

That information was from a news article posted a few weeks back regarding incidents that happened in the BC interior where they HAVE been mysterious abductions in the past along some highway I forget the name of.

As far as I know, this does not apply to the lower mainland(Vancouver and surrounding areas). I have never heard of such a thing here. Ultimately, whether you choose to display your sign is entirely up to you but you would be the minority.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@KatrinBlack wrote

Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0