yconic - Ontario Students get 30% off tuition scam
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ontario Students get 30% off tuition scam

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Ontario students,

Were you excited by Dalton McGuinty's Liberal government promise to give you 30 percent off your tuition?

What great savings, right? As a university student you'd get up to $1600 back; for college: $700.

But wait! They just forgot to mention one small thing:

- Graduate students are not applicable
- Mature students are not applicable
- Part-time students are not applicable

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1115343--older-students-not-eligible-for-ontario-tuition-rebate?bn=1

AND, what's worse, this comes at the cost of cancelling THREE grant programs. They're cancelling the Textbook and Technology Grant, a Trust fund, and the Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top to pay for this ridiculous boondoggle.

What a disgrace.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Konn2011 Konn2011
To add to the above, you are also out of luck if you qualify for at least $1,600 of Ontario Access grant.

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/PostsecondaryEducation/Tuition/FAQ/index.htm

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I was quite disappointed to find out that graduate students or mature students can't apply. I think they're the ones who would most need this. But just because it doesn't help you, doesn't mean it won't help a LOT of others
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I was quite disappointed to find out that graduate students or mature students can't apply. I think they're the ones who would most need this. But just because it doesn't help you, doesn't mean it won't help a LOT of others

Sure, it'll help a few students, but at the expense of EVERY other student who was receiving the three grants/scholarships now cancelled. It's ridiculous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan
When they say you need to be in satisfactory academic standing what kind of GPA would you need?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan
When they say you need to be in satisfactory academic standing what kind of GPA would you need?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of napinhei napinhei
I've been trying to read about this 30% off tuition thing and there is something about it I don't understand. Maybe one of you can help me...

So, I graduated from high school in 2009 and am looking to start university this coming Fall. That means I just scrape under the deadline and qualify for the rebate for my first year, right? Now, does that mean I can only claim the rebate for my first year, but not the years that follow since I will have been out of high school for four years once I reach second year, OR do I still qualify for the rebate every year afterwards because I started university before I was four years out of high school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@napinhei wrote
I've been trying to read about this 30% off tuition thing and there is something about it I don't understand. Maybe one of you can help me...

So, I graduated from high school in 2009 and am looking to start university this coming Fall. That means I just scrape under the deadline and qualify for the rebate for my first year, right? Now, does that mean I can only claim the rebate for my first year, but not the years that follow since I will have been out of high school for four years once I reach second year, OR do I still qualify for the rebate every year afterwards because I started university before I was four years out of high school?

Looks like you would only qualify for your first year of university, afterwards you would be classified a "mature student"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rtremb rtremb
I read that if students were already receiving the Queen Elizabeth Reaching for the Top Scholarship they would continue to receive it (for 3 years) but that there would be no more new ones starting in Sept. 2012.
It is a shame this substantial scholarship is being cancelled since it is my understanding it went to students in need who had high grades - a reward for academic excellence that was going to people who might otherwise not be able to afford to go to school. The $1,600.00 per year pales in comparison.
Link to the article I read:
http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/nr/12.01/bg0105.html

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jessicadonnan wrote

You need to pass your courses. If you fail one you're placed on probation. Fail another one and your OSAP is cut off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@napinhei wrote

Call OSAP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
This is just another reason why I am doubting going to university after high school. Not only that, what about those students from high school who don't know what they really want to do when they are older, and switch out of their program.(i.e Engineering to Commerce; Do they still apply for the scholarship?) In addition, I am not sure if you can answer this, but in my case, I am still a bit confused. I am applying to engineering,compsci, and accounting. All of those because I have no clue what I am wanting and going to do in life. I plan on most likely going into an engineering program.

Here is the problem: Engineering at UW; UofT, and other schools is quite expensive. I am talking $ 10 000 for first year tuition. Around there. I'm serious. Check Waterloo and UofT's site. So 30% of that would be $3000. So $3000 off right? But then it says you can receive up to $1600 off. I don't get that. Is that the limit for university students. If it is, I don't know what I'm going to.

Out of curiosity, did you know what you wanted to study and do in life when you entered university? The reason why I am asking is I still don't have a clue of what I am want to do in life, and study in university. There is so many other factors, like tuition, residence, work experience through Co-op, which university to attend. And I can't answer the "Well, so what are your interest question?" because well frankly its hard to answer it. The answer to that question can't always direct an individual towards a degree that is employable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
Is any undergraduate degree alone employable these days?
Don't want to be a downer, but now employers are looking for an undergraduate degree + internships and work experience or a graduate degree etc.

Anyway, I do understand where you a coming from. I still have no clue what I want to be or what I want to study next year for university. It's scary, because not a lot of us are trust fund kids to begin with, so we feel pressured to pick something and stick to it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
To respond to your post sascer520:

The 30% off is not actually 30% off. It's up to $1600. So that's all you'll get back, doesn't matter how much your tuition is.

I'm doing my Master's degree now and I still really have no idea what I want to do in life. I sure as hell didn't know when I entered university..
Was this helpful? Yes 0