yconic - Opinion on my teacher's marking
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Opinion on my teacher's marking

A photo of brady23 brady23
Here are two students marks on a biology test. It's divided into Knowledge (20 multiple choice, 6 short answers, 3 diagrams), Communication (3 short answers), and Making Connections which is more 3 application short answers. People always bs the last part, and someone random always gets the highest mark in Making Connections (which is like a 60%).

Student A:

Knowledge 49/55 (87%)
Communication 9/11 (82%)
Making Connections 3/9 (33%)

Student B:

Knowledge 36.5/55 (66%)
Communication 7/11 (64%)
Making Connections 5.5/9 (61%)

One of the biology teachers totals the mark out of 75, and that’s your test mark. So student A gets an 81% (61/75), student B gets a 65% on the test (49/75).

But my teacher uses a different system. The test is worth 9%. Knowledge is worth 3.2%, Communication is worth 3%, and Making Connections is worth 2.8%. Student A would get 69% on the test, student B gets a 64% on the test.

But just because student B can bs better than student A on making connections, their marks are on par.

Which teacher’s marking system is more fair? Even people with 90s in Knowledge and Communication will get like a 40 in Making Connections while someone with 60s in Knowledge and Communication will get a 60 in Making Connections.

Totalling the marks is a much better indicator of the student's performance on the test in my opinion. Even my math teacher said the teacher's system sucks. I'm fine with the system if the teacher made an effort to make it more fair (/30 for Knowledge, /30 for Communication, /20 for Making Connections).

And for tests they'll use the category method, but for an exam they just total the marks. Where's the logic in that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Teachers are supposed to input the 3 totals separately. My opinion is that the teacher who's doing the grand total should change to the other teacher's way of doing things. The point of grading according to categories is to ensure that the whole learner is assessed, not just a certain aspect of their knowledge.

I know that the grand totalling WILL result in higher marks, and the teacher who does the grand total is only doing it as a favour to the class. While it helps out their class, it doesn't help anyone else in the province competing for the same post-secondary programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of parachutes parachutes
my school does the same thing.
you can't really complain; that's just how the education system works around here.
just learn to bs better in the "making connections" section.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ohseedee Ohseedee
I agree with the others...the teacher is supposed to evaluate each category on its own - not lump it together into one sum. I can only assume that you are either Student A or Student B, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to post (unless you have lots of time to spare)...so my advice is to make sure you are good at all three categories. This way, you won't have to worry so much about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fxoqxc wrote
how do you manage to have complaints about both your chcemistry teacher AND your biology teacher.. what kind of school do you go to...... secondly, if it's about you then say it's about you. saying "student A" or "student B" doesn't help the cause. if it wasn't you i don't see why you would be making a thread about these kinds of things anyway. and even in your other thread you got overly defensive which i find weird because if it didn't have anything to do with you WHY do you care?

your biology teacher is right in separating the categories and weighting each category differently. that's how i've always been graded since grade 9 in every single course. i don't believe that "another teacher" totaled it out of 75 because that's not how teachers are supposed to give out marks. what did he put that into, all knowledge? where's he going to get application marks from? communication marks from?

as for "bsing" application questions, just because you think person B is "not smart" because he did poorly on knowledge doesn't mean he can't actually think in questions that require you to actually think, not recall facts. there's no such thing as "bsing" application. it's called application because you APPLY, not "bs". i'd even go ahead and say that application requires you to be actually intelligent and not just study 10 hours a day

regarding the exam thing, every teacher does that in my school too. the whole thing is just worth 30%. instead of asking a forum go ask the ministry of education. it's not your teachers that decided to give out marks this way after all

this isn't nearly as bad to my calculus teacher that gives no part marks on tests. he assumes that one can purposely make a mistake in the beginning of the problem to simplify the problem so he doesn't give part marks, even if the question is out of 10. i know someone that was getting 94% that got a 0 on the last question/10 because he made a diagram error in the beginning of the question on a vectors test, you don't see him complaining

sorry if i came out offensive but at this point it seems like you're ranting about all your teachers because they're not doing what you want them to do

I made a thread because I wanted other people's opinions and I know this will happen to me next semester because I have the same teacher. Your right, it doesn't affect me right now but I can't help but feel sorry for people who get zeros for tests when the teacher won't give them the time of day, if you have a problem with that well too bad.

I know she's right in separating categories, but all I'm saying is that I think the test should be more evenly divided. Some classes have communication out of 3 for a test. And the other teacher puts in knowledge, your communication is your written assignments, application is your project assignments, and thinking and inquiry is your labs.

THIS is how I've been graded since grade 9, but it was more like Knowledge - /30, Communication - /20 , Making Connections - /15 not Knowledge /55 Communication /10 Making Connections /8.

LOL our teacher tells us most of the time we won't know how to do making connections so BS and get as many part marks as you can. If you think person B who got a 61 in making connections, is smarter than person A because they beat them by 1.5 marks, fine your opinion.

But in the end, I guess smaller denominators work better, because the teacher gives bonus participation vouchers and my friend has like 15, so he can just use 6 to bring his 3/9 to 9/9 and his mark will skyrocket.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ba Ba Blue wrote
Teachers are supposed to input the 3 totals separately. My opinion is that the teacher who's doing the grand total should change to the other teacher's way of doing things. The point of grading according to categories is to ensure that the whole learner is assessed, not just a certain aspect of their knowledge.

I know that the grand totalling WILL result in higher marks, and the teacher who does the grand total is only doing it as a favour to the class. While it helps out their class, it doesn't help anyone else in the province competing for the same post-secondary programs.

The other teacher still uses the category system, except they make communication assignments like essays for communication, projects and design projects in application, and labs for inquiry.

The teacher even says it makes more sense to total up the tests because some units only have like 3 good application questions which is only worth 8 marks and he says that is not a good indicator of how well you can make connections, and he thinks application assignments are a better way of showing your understanding.

The teacher still uses the knowledge/communication/application category system.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@parachutes wrote
my school does the same thing.
you can't really complain; that's just how the education system works around here.
just learn to bs better in the "making connections" section.

Yeah your right. It's okay in the long term end though because participation gives you bonus marks for tests, and if you get like 15 participation bonus marks, imagine how much your application mark goes up by!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ohseedee wrote
I agree with the others...the teacher is supposed to evaluate each category on its own - not lump it together into one sum. I can only assume that you are either Student A or Student B, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to post (unless you have lots of time to spare)...so my advice is to make sure you are good at all three categories. This way, you won't have to worry so much about it.

But they'll still evaluate you on all four categories. The teacher said that they don't like putting Making Connections on the tests because he does find that it is a section that is about how good you can bs, and said that making connections to society and the environment through research projects is a much better indicator of applying your chemistry knowledge than 2 application questions on the test.

I tend to agree.

And I'm not student A or B, but I have bio next semester but this system only harms you for the short term, in the long term, if you use participation bonus marks (my friend has about 15), his application mark will go from 72% to 94%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted