yconic - Opinions on business co-op at Laurier, UTSC, McMaster, Western and Brock?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Opinions on business co-op at Laurier, UTSC, McMaster, Western and Brock?

A photo of Vessi Vessi
[size=6]Hi guys,

So I was wondering which unis are the best unis for business co-op?

Right now I am planning on applying to Laurier BBA co-op and UTSC BBA co-op for sure and I'm wondering what your opinions are on McMaster BComm Internship (they only give co-op for MBA, I believe), Western BMOS co-op and Brock BBA co-op.

Not sure if this is relevant, but my future plan is to get my business degree and then apply to Teacher's College to become an elementary school teacher. I'm not going for concurrent education because in case I decide not to become a teacher, I still have a business degree, which opens more options for me in the future (I'm interested in management and co-ordinating since I enjoy organizing activities/events).

So yeah. What are your opinions on Laurier, UTSC, Mcmaster, Western and Brock? I'm planning on applying to only 4, so which would be the top 4 to apply to, and why? (Or if there are other schools with business co-op that are better, that would be awesome if you could let me know about them as well)

Thanks. (:[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of g93 g93
What are your marks like? If your marks are competitive for top programs, you could apply to schools such as Queen's, Ivey and Schulich. While they do not have co-op, you can still get internships in the summers. They are superb programs and your chances of getting an internship are probably just as high in the first two years as some of the schools you named. 3rd year and 4th year gives you a much better chance of getting an internship. At a top school, you can get jobs at brand name companies. This will give you an edge when applying to teacher's college, when applying for jobs as a teacher, for scholarships, and in case becoming a teacher does not work out for getting a business-related job. With the exception of Schulich these programs are expensive though.

Laurier BBA is probably the best school that you named. It's co-op program is quite good. It is not quite as good as the three schools I named, but if you can get into it's co-op program it is almost on that level. You still have a good shot of getting co-ops at brand name companies, which will look great on your resume and applications.

UTSC co-op is slightly underrated. You have a better chance of getting into the co-op program than Laurier. The co-op program is pretty good and you can still get great jobs. I personally would rank it lower than Laurier if I had to.

McMaster is alright, but by no means is it a top-tier school. There are internship opportunities but they are not abundant.

Brock BBA is a decent program, but is definitely the worst of the schools mentioned here. This does not mean success cannot be achieved from it, but it is not nearly close to being on the same level of the three schools I first named or Laurier.

Western BMOS is alright, and is similar to Brock. You might end up with slightly better success in the HR field, which is why I rank it higher than Brock.

Consider everything when applying and ultimately deciding. Cost, campus size, atmosphere, rez, social life, scholarships, city, etc. Choose the school that is right for you. If you like UTSC better than Laurier then choose it. If you really have an urge to go to Brock then by all means go. If you really don't care, how I described the program is probably the most common "ranking" you will see.

I didn't name Rotman btw because it is not quite as good as the first 3 named (somewhere on the same level as Laurier), and it is expensive and not everyone's cup of tea, and you didn't name it. If you like it, then apply. Also if you want to apply to schools out-of-province, I would suggest McGill and UBC if you have the marks (you will hear debates on the quality of these programs, ranging from about as good as Laurier and Rotman to as good or better than Queen's and Ivey).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Vessi Vessi
I'm actually taking a 5th year, so I'm not sure how the universities look at marks in terms of applying if you're a 5th year. My case is different though - I got sick during my last year of high school and was only allowed to take one course (doctor's orders). In that course (Writer's Craft), I received 90% in my final term and due to school policies I was unable to drop my other courses so I received 0%, 1% and 2% in those courses (the guidance office said that they would send a letter to the universities explaining my situation so they don't think the 0-2%'s on my report card are representative of my academic ability.

*Which is another question (unrelated to business) that I'm curious about - for those taking a 5th year, when the high schools send in the marks, do they send in the student's gr 11 marks as well as their gr 12 marks? Or only gr 11 or only gr 12? Because I'm fine with them seeing my grade 11 marks but I'm afraid my guidance office won't send the note explaining why I have 0-2%'s on my gr 12 report card (even though they said they will, they're a bit annoyed with me because it was very frustrating for them to understand why I wasn't allowed to take more than one course and basically had like 4 spares last year LOL) and that the universities will see the 0-2%'s and think I'm a slacker.*

But uhh yeah. For gr 12, I can't tell you an actual average since I only had one course but in that course I got a 90%. And my gr 11 average - first term: 83.6%, second: 86% and third: 88%.

I wans't planning on applying to Queen's or Schulich because the marks to get in are superhigh and I don't think I can compete with them. Also, they don't have co-op, like you said, but if I were to apply for Schulich, how exactly do I get an internship during the summer? I don't understand how internships work.

I was going to apply to Western but I looked at the tuition fees and I found something like $27k a year, which is crazy compared to Mac which I found was $31k for all four years.

Are there two Western business programs? You mentioned Ivey and then Western BMOS. I was searching up on their site and could only find the Ivey Business program which is way too expensive and competitive for me.

I was planning on visiting each of the campuses before deciding because I'd like to go to a university with a campus/atmosphere that I like. For example, I'm not applying in Ottawa because there is absolutely nothing in Ottawa and I refused to be bored in my hometown for the next four years of my life.

Laurier is my first choice, then probably UTSC, and I'm not sure which I should place next - Mac or Brock. I haven't heard about a lot of people going to either for Business. I heard Brock was only good for their accounting program though? I might place UTSC lower as well, because I want to go out of town for university (though my mom doesn't want to and is adamant on me staying in town.. but ultimately, it's my choice (I hope lol :P)).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Your school will send OUAC your Grade 11 and 12 marks. OUAC will send these to the universities.

They shouldn't care about the 0-2%'s (if you were applying to American schools that would be different). As long as your GC sends in a letter you will be more than fine. Or you could get your doctor to five you a letter and there is always a spot on applications for "special circumstances". They will understand, but as I said as long as you have Grade 12 marks that are good they shouldn't care.

If your average can be high 80's, you would have a shot at Queen's and Ivey depending on how good your ECs are.

Western has the BMOS program. They also have Ivey- which is two years (years 3 and 4 of undergrad). You can apply to Ivey from any school after 2nd year, or you can apply for Ivey AEO in high school. If you get AEO, you attend Western for 2 years and as long as you keep an 80 and keep up your ECs you get into Ivey. At Western you can take anything (provided you get into those programs)- most take BMOS. Ivey is ~14k per year if I remember correctly, Western will be ~6k.

Internships are essentially just applying for a job related to your studies- and you will want a paid internship ;)

So prior to the summer apply to a bunch of places (eg if you are in finance apply to TD Securities in Toronto, etc.) and hope you get a job. Essentially the same as co-op. Some schools will help you with this (some a lot more than others too).

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vessi Vessi
My average in gr 11 was high 80's but I'm not sure how much it may drop (or raise, hopefully LOL) in gr 12 since it's a lot more stressful and difficult than gr 11.

My extracurriculars are okay. I have some general member roles and some leadership roles but they're nothing spectacular:
Gr 9 - nothing
Gr 10 - Drama Production, Athletic Council General Member, Field Hockey Team, Flag Football Team
Gr 11 - Drama Production, Yearbook Committee Art Editor, Photography Club Executive, Field Hockey Team
Gr 12 - Drama Production, Mentors, Student Administrative Council (Publicity Chair)

I was also a part of Scouts (outside of school) for gr 9 and 10.

I only plan on joining Mentors for my 5th year though.

As for volunteer and work experience (because I was looking at the site online and it mentioned volunteer and work experience)
I also have volunteer experience - Hospitality Crew at Chinatown Festival, Customer Service at Salvation Army Recycling Operations, Cashier/Food Handler at my school's Snack Shack, Hospitality Crew at Waterfront Marathon, Teacher Assistant at a middle school, Tutor at an elementary school, Teacher at a church summer camp, and Customer Service at the Dragon Boat Festival. I also had a job at a daycare last summer and currently work at a different daycare (though it's run by the same company).

But I don't think I'll be able to get into Queens or Ivey though because I'll probably need a 90%+ average in order to be considered and even higher to compete with others and I'm positive my math mark will drag my average down.

So basically Western has their BMOS program and Ivey AEO program and they're both different things?

I still can't find the BMOS program on their site. @_@ I keep finding the Ivey Business program.

So internships are just that I get a job? What's the difference between an internship and just getting a job though? Like say (using your example), I could get a job at TD Securities during the summer and it wouldn't be an internship, just a normal job. What make a job an internship? Or is it like.. the school tells me I need to go find a job for an internship, I apply for a job and then tell the school about that and that's the internship? LOL. Does that make sense? Sorry I'm confusing. :P

And yeah, would you say Mac is better for business or Brock?

Thanks for all your help, by the way. I really appreciate it. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
You'll have a much better shot at landing a quality job via Schulich/Ivey/Queens internships compared to your listed schools even if you're in the coop programs there. Just sayin.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vessi Vessi
Those need crazy high marks in order to get in though. I don't think my marks will make it. @_@ My final average in gr 11 was only 88% and I'm positive it will drop in gr 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
You can get into Queens and Ivey with an 87. Schulich with a 90. Your grade 12 marks usually go up for most people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@Vessi wrote
Those need crazy high marks in order to get in though. I don't think my marks will make it. @_@ My final average in gr 11 was only 88% and I'm positive it will drop in gr 12.

Set your mind and you can do it. With an 88 average you will get into mcmaster, brock, western without AEO status, and laurier. I think you can get into UTSC too...I looked at einfo and it says you require a mid 80 average. You can check out ryerson's program...i've heard it's decent.

P.S. im pretty sure BMOS doesn't have a co-op
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Viking21 wrote

Definitely does not. 100%

And to OP, my grade 12 marks were 6% higher than my grade 11 so you could surprise yourself
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
mos.uwo.ca. = BMOS link

Internships (straight from Wikipedia): Internship is a system of on-the-job training for white-collar jobs, similar to an apprenticeship. Interns are usually college or university students, but they can also be high school students or post graduate adults seeking skills for a new career; they may also be as young as middle school students in some areas. Student internships provide opportunities for students to gain experience in their field, determine if they have an interest in a particular career, create a network of contacts, or gain school credit. Internships provide employers with cheap or free labor for (typically) low-level tasks. Some interns find permanent, paid employment with the companies in which they interned. Their value to the company may be increased by the fact that they need little to no training.

So basically you're getting a job as a student in your field and you will receive some training/guidance. Internsips aren't mandatory, you could take the summer off and sleep, or travel. It's just a fancy word for what I described in that second last sentence.

A co-op is what you described. The school tells you to get a job (or internship basically) and you look for one. They usually help more during co-op to find you a jb. Often they will try and get you to settle for less-than-ideal jobs that can be passed off as co-op jobs. There might be some stuff you have to fill out while on co-op. Internships aren't affiliated with the school so you do none of this.

As immaculatedx said, at Queens Ivey and Schulich you will have a better chance of getting internships than you would co-op at the schools you mentioned, except maybe Laurier (Laurier likely gives you a better percentage, especially in 2nd year, but Queens Ivey Schulich will give you a better chance at "top" jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vessi Vessi

@immaculatedx wrote
You can get into Queens and Ivey with an 87. Schulich with a 90. Your grade 12 marks usually go up for most people.

Hopefully haha. I'm scared math will pull it down. :S

@Viking21 wrote
Set your mind and you can do it. With an 88 average you will get into mcmaster, brock, western without AEO status, and laurier. I think you can get into UTSC too...I looked at einfo and it says you require a mid 80 average. You can check out ryerson's program...i've heard it's decent.

Yeah I'm going to apply to UTSC for sure. Ryerson.. probably not. I googled and forums said that Mac's better than Ryerson? I dunno if that's true but if it is, and I'm definitely getting accepted to Mac, then I might as well go to Mac.

@Username81 wrote
Definitely does not. 100%

And to OP, my grade 12 marks were 6% higher than my grade 11 so you could surprise yourself

Hmm then I won't apply to Western BMOS. I'd like to have co-op, haha.

@g93 wrote
mos.uwo.ca. = BMOS link

Internships (straight from Wikipedia): Internship is a system of on-the-job training for white-collar jobs, similar to an apprenticeship. Interns are usually college or university students, but they can also be high school students or post graduate adults seeking skills for a new career; they may also be as young as middle school students in some areas. Student internships provide opportunities for students to gain experience in their field, determine if they have an interest in a particular career, create a network of contacts, or gain school credit. Internships provide employers with cheap or free labor for (typically) low-level tasks. Some interns find permanent, paid employment with the companies in which they interned. Their value to the company may be increased by the fact that they need little to no training.

So basically you're getting a job as a student in your field and you will receive some training/guidance. Internsips aren't mandatory, you could take the summer off and sleep, or travel. It's just a fancy word for what I described in that second last sentence.

A co-op is what you described. The school tells you to get a job (or internship basically) and you look for one. They usually help more during co-op to find you a jb. Often they will try and get you to settle for less-than-ideal jobs that can be passed off as co-op jobs. There might be some stuff you have to fill out while on co-op. Internships aren't affiliated with the school so you do none of this.

As immaculatedx said, at Queens Ivey and Schulich you will have a better chance of getting internships than you would co-op at the schools you mentioned, except maybe Laurier (Laurier likely gives you a better percentage, especially in 2nd year, but Queens Ivey Schulich will give you a better chance at "top" jobs.

Ohh, I see. So internships happen during the summer?

Because at Mac, I read something like you take 3 years of business, then take an entire year to do an internship and go back for a last year. But that's because they offer internships.

I'm assuming that at other schools (eg. Schulich, etc), you would be getting the internship during the summer on your own? Is it connected to the school in any way at all? Or is an internship just something you do on your own? :P

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Vessi wrote
Ohh, I see. So internships happen during the summer?

hey don't have to.

Internships for Canadian business schools just happen to be in the summer - because you have school during the year (with only a couple exceptions). This is fairly common for internships to be summer internships.

Because at Mac, I read something like
@Vessi wrote
you take 3 years of business, then take an entire year to do an internship and go back for a last year. But that's because they offer internships.

o, Mac has the program set up so that if you qualify for an internship (there are a few criteria, which basically hedges on you getting a job related to your field that is legitimate). Mac will stretch the program around that one year internship. You don't have to do it. The school might not be of much help.

@Vessi wrote
I'm assuming that at other schools (eg. Schulich, etc), you would be getting the internship during the summer on your own? Is it connected to the school in any way at all? Or is an internship just something you do on your own? :P

No, it is not connected to the school. Internships are something that you will decide to try for. You could take the summer off and sleep. You could go travel South America. You could take courses during the summer. You could work at McDonald's, or at your family business. But if you want and go and try and get work experience in your field to help advance your career, you will go apply for internships. What the school might do is offer resume critiquing sessions, interview preparation sessions, and they will also have firms recruiting students (more common at top schools). For example Ivey has a pretty impressive job bank featuring many Wall Street banks. The top schools' internships opportunities will be similar to a great school's co-op (eg Laurier and Waterloo accounting), and better than schools such as Carleton and McMaster, especially in 3rd and 4th year. The school will not record that you are in an internship, they will not have any contact with the firm, etc. It's not the same as co-op in that way. They're the same but different.

If you are considering a top-tier school with internships vs a mid or low-tier school with co-op, the top-tier school is better.

If you are considering a low or mid tier school with internships vs a low or mid school with co-op, go for the co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vessi Vessi
Ohh I see. So is "internship" is basically a fancy word for "I got a job during the summer as ___ which relates to what I'm currently studying at university"? And then when applying for a job (assuming you don't go back to the place you interned) you would call it an internship instead of just that you had a job?

Like.. (sorry, I'm not sure if I'm explaining what I mean correctly) I'm currently working part-time at a daycare as a teacher assistant, but if I were to put it in a resume I wouldn't call it an internship, I'd just call it a job I had in the past.

But say I was working at a bank at the moment, I would still call it a part-time job. But if I were in uni at the moment, I could call it an internship? :S

How would it work after the summer ends though? Because university will take up a lot of time for studying, would most people quit it or say they would like to come back next summer? Or stay as part-time?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Vessi wrote
Ohh I see. So is "internship" is basically a fancy word for "I got a job during the summer as ___ which relates to what I'm currently studying at university"? And then when applying for a job (assuming you don't go back to the place you interned) you would call it an internship instead of just that you had a job?

Like.. (sorry, I'm not sure if I'm explaining what I mean correctly) I'm currently working part-time at a daycare as a teacher assistant, but if I were to put it in a resume I wouldn't call it an internship, I'd just call it a job I had in the past.

But say I was working at a bank at the moment, I would still call it a part-time job. But if I were in uni at the moment, I could call it an internship? :S

How would it work after the summer ends though? Because university will take up a lot of time for studying, would most people quit it or say they would like to come back next summer? Or stay as part-time?

That's the point with internships - you make it known to the firm that you are only there for the summer. Internship is a pretty recognizable term - you could put on your resume/cover letter that you are applying for a summer internship (if you don't have a specific position). Sometimes you will get the title of "Summer Intern" or just "intern" or "Accounting Intern". "Student" gets used similarly. For example where I work I am an "Accounting Student", but it could just as well be "Accounting Intern".

I'll sum it up: the term internship was meant to describe a specific student-position (as described in the Wikipedia quote) but it has almost become a term people like to throw around to sound better than it is. Who wants to say "I have a job" when you can say "I have an internship".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vessi Vessi
OHH okay. That helps a lot, thanks. :) Are companies more likely to hire you if you say you're applying as an intern?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Yes and no. Simply mentioning the term internship isn't going to land you a job, but you di want to make it known that you are applying as a student. They can probably figure it out, but making it clear certainly won't hurt. Don't disguise yourself as something you're not. The term internship is common enough that you can use that and/or student.

If there is a specific job position (eg Junior Staff Accountant) use that and not just internship- but make sure you point out that you are a student. Threre are many reasons why hiring students can be good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vessi Vessi
Ohh okay. That clears it up a lot. Thanks for your help and sorry for all my newb questions, haha. Do you mind if I pm you if I have any more questions in the future? (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Vessi wrote

es, but if you want to go for accounting, I'd say Brock's accounting program is better (really restricts your options though!)

And yea I would choose Mac over Ryerson as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Vessi wrote
Ohh okay. That clears it up a lot. Thanks for your help and sorry for all my newb questions, haha. Do you mind if I pm you if I have any more questions in the future? (:

Feel free.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vessi Vessi

@Username81 wrote

@Vessi wrote

es, but if you want to go for accounting, I'd say Brock's accounting program is better (really restricts your options though!)

And yea I would choose Mac over Ryerson as well.

Definitely not accounting haha. I want to go in for management. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0