yconic - Options on the math side of UW/WLU Math/BBA Double Degree
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Options on the math side of UW/WLU Math/BBA Double Degree

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I understand for the Math/CA, the math side is quite limited and that you can choose to specialize in one of 3 or some streams.

I was just wondering, for the Math/BBA waterloo/laurier double degree, are you entitled to all the same options as the normal honours math kids? E.g. Actuarial science, mathematical finance etc. ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of North North
There are more options than the Math/CA program but you can't finish every major within the math faculty - but you can do most of them.

Math Majors you can do are:
- Mathematical Finance
- Pure Math
- Applied Math
- Act. Sci.
- Stats
- Combinatorics & Optimization
- Operations Research
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey North, thanks, I found it on the undergraduate calendar.

For anyone else interested, here is what Waterloo says.

Students in the double degree plan may elect to have one of the following Math Faculty departmental honours majors designated on their UW BMath diploma and transcript: Actuarial Science, Applied Mathematics, Combinatorics and Optimization, Mathematical Finance, Operations Research, Pure Mathematics, or Statistics. To be eligible for such a BMath major designation and the WLU BBA degree, students must satisfy all of the requirements for both the departmental major plan (including the minimum number of total math units) and the double degree plan (as specified above) except as provided for below.
(a) Students pursuing Actuarial Science are exempt from the following courses: ACTSC 371, ECON 101, 102, ENGL 119, and STAT 331. Additionally, students may take BUS 473W to replace AFM 472.
(b) Students pursuing Operations Research are exempt from the following courses: AFM 101, 102, 101, 102, MSCI 211, 311, 432, and STAT 331, 332.
(c) Students pursuing Statistics are exempt from the following courses: STAT 331 and 332.
(d) Students pursuing Mathematical Finance are exempt from the following courses: ACTSC 371, 372; AFM 101, 102, 131; ECON 101, 102; STAT 331, 443. Also, ECON 260W is an acceptable substitute for ECON 201.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Will wanting to specialize in a certain category of math force you to stay an extra term or something like that? I understand that there was such a case for Math/FARM and actuarial science but I don't remember the specifics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
http://www.ddclub.ca/math_majors.php

This site has almost everything you need regarding the DD program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks North!
Was this helpful? Yes 0