yconic - OSAP + entrance scholarship?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OSAP + entrance scholarship?

A photo of kriispsmile kriispsmile
Hi, I'm going to be a first year in September and I am going to be receiving OSAP as well. I am getting about $8700, about $2000 grant and about (more than) $6700 a loan. But my tuition is $ 6500 and I will be getting a $2000 entrance scholarship (apparently in October/November).

However, I have some questions about osap.

1) How do we know how much you pay for the tuition in sept and january respectively with the osap money? (since I'm getting it in september and january). Is it like 65% for the first payment?

2) Do we report entrance scholarships to osap/school to deduct osap loan or can we keep the scholarship for ourselves?

3) What happens if there is a remainder of money from osap? In my case, $6700(loan) - $6500(tuition) = $200. Like can I use the $200 to assist my budget for textbooks?

Sorry for asking so much :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of supernerd707 supernerd707

@kriispsmile wrote
Hi, I'm going to be a first year in September and I am going to be receiving OSAP as well. I am getting about $8700, about $2000 grant and about (more than) $6700 a loan. But my tuition is $ 6500 and I will be getting a $2000 entrance scholarship (apparently in October/November).

1) How do we know how much you pay for the tuition in sept and january respectively with the osap money? (since I'm getting it in september and january). Is it like 65% for the first payment?

2) Do we report entrance scholarships to osap/school to deduct osap loan or can we keep the scholarship for ourselves?

3) What happens if there is a remainder of money from osap? In my case, $6700(loan) - $6500(tuition) = $200. Like can I use the $200 to assist my budget for textbooks?

1) Yeah, I believe they give you 60% in September and the remaining 40% in January. There will be a day at your university where they tell students who applied for osap to come in and pick up the money so that it can be deposited in the bank. Afterwards you just pay back the school through your banking system. You will do this in September and January, just figure out the date you have to pick it up.

2) Well when you applied for osap they ask you if you are expecting to receive any scholarships. You don't have to do anything beyond that. The entrance scholarship is provided by the school, so they are the ones that deal with it. I'm going to the university of Toronto so all I know is that entrance scholarship is automatically put into rosi (the website where you maintain your school info, I know for mac it is mugsi)in November. Talk to your school.

3) You get to keep the remainder of the money and can use it next year instead of reapplying if you have a lot left over. Yes you can use the money for textbooks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kriispsmile kriispsmile

@supernerd707 wrote

@kriispsmile wrote

1) Yeah, I believe they give you 60% in September and the remaining 40% in January. There will be a day at your university where they tell students who applied for osap to come in and pick up the money so that it can be deposited in the bank. Afterwards you just pay back the school through your banking system. You will do this in September and January, just figure out the date you have to pick it up.

2) Well when you applied for osap they ask you if you are expecting to receive any scholarships. You don't have to do anything beyond that. The entrance scholarship is provided by the school, so they are the ones that deal with it. I'm going to the university of Toronto so all I know is that entrance scholarship is automatically put into rosi (the website where you maintain your school info, I know for mac it is mugsi)in November. Talk to your school.

3) You get to keep the remainder of the money and can use it next year instead of reapplying if you have a lot left over. Yes you can use the money for textbooks.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm going to UofT as well, and I still don't get the entrance scholarship thing. I called the school a few times for explanation but they wouldn't really explain properly :/

If the scholarship is put into rosi, do you mean the account balance where it tells you how much you pay? So I guess it's not put into our bank accounts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Reported for spam. Please use the search function. See http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=179&p=7

Topic closed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@ARMY101 wrote
Reported for spam. Please use the search function. See http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=179&p=7

Topic closed.

how is this spam?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
He's not posting in the proper thread. Spam. So is your post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0