yconic - OSAP Amount really low this time?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OSAP Amount really low this time?

A photo of mohawk2010 mohawk2010
I'm about to start my second year at college in September, however OSAP is only offering $1500 assistance this year, as opposed to the $5000 last year. Unfortunately $1500 isn't even enough to cover a single semester.

I'm just wondering if this is normal for the assistance to drop so much? Not to mention this is about a $7000 difference from the aid estimator.

Here's my situation:
- I'm currently living with my grandmother, who is a retiree.
- My mom separated from my Dad last year and is currently living out in a different province altogether.
- My dad moved in with my grandmother as well once they (my mom and dad) split and sold the house and he has a tonne of debt.
- He opened his own business last year which has yet to become profitable to a sum of more than a few hundred dollars monthly.
- My dad has 3 children dependents, 2 of which are in post secondary (including myself).
- He also posted a total income of $0 for 2010.
- I have been looking for a job since April and I haven't worked since January. I only have a couple hundred dollars left in my savings. I have had a few job interviews, but no success yet and I'm still waiting to hear back from one.

So basically it's looking like I'm halfway screwed here. Even if I continue to work through the school year OSAP doesn't like it when students make more than $100 a week or something crappy like that. Even if I ended up spending no money, how am I supposed to cover any bills outside of school tuition?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mohawk2010 wrote
Even if I continue to work through the school year OSAP doesn't like it when students make more than $100 a week or something crappy like that.

What? Who told you that? I work full time and I get ample funding.

Even if I ended up spending no money, how am I supposed to cover any bills outside of school tuition?

Have you considered working? :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ You are so unhelpful...

To the OP, you should try to contact OSAP and see if you can appeal your funding amount or see if something went wrong with your application
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@ARMY101 wrote

@mohawk2010 wrote
Even if I continue to work through the school year OSAP doesn't like it when students make more than $100 a week or something crappy like that.

Even if I ended up spending no money, how am I supposed to cover any bills outside of school tuition?

Have you considered working? :scratch:

Can you read?

OP, it must be some sort of mistake if your income is practically $0, I can't see how they only give you $1500. You should contact them and figure out what's happening.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mohawk2010 mohawk2010

@ARMY101 wrote

@mohawk2010 wrote

I was told a couple times by OSAP councilors that the OSAP funding would start being cut down if you make more than $100 or work more than 10 hours a week. I can't remember which. That was last year so I don't know if it's changed at all since then or if they had it wrong to begin with. I'm not even going to justify your second question with a response.

Thanks to Nyx and ktel for your input. I talked to some people at OSAP and it looks like I might be getting a few extra dollars coming my way. Turns out it's not quite as low as I had originally thought because since I have a CO-OP semester in between my two in-school semesters that I have to re-apply for OSAP during my second semester? I don't really understand why, but that's how it looks to be. Between the bit of extra money, plus work, I should be okay.

Thanks everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0