yconic - OSAP and bad credit
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OSAP and bad credit

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I am currently attending the Adult High School in Ottawa. I actually dropped out of high school several years back for a number of reasons. Nonetheless, I am doing quite well in my university preparatory classes.

Unfortunately, my credit had taken a hit after I lost my job about a year ago. I would even say my credit is probably bad. However, I have managed to pay off two credit cards and some other bills in that time. I am slowing paying off my last credit card. Which I may add, should be paid off by the time I make my application to OSAY next year.
I am currently living with my mother. I am a fulltime student. My mother is on disability and has absolutely nothing to contribute to education. I also have no father. Subsequently, I am not getting a dime from my family

Will I get denied OSAP?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Your credit rating does play a part in whether or not you'll receive OSAP. Your bank should be able to tell you what your rating is on an A, B, C, or D level. I don't know where OSAP's cut off is, but they do look at your credit rating, since, after all, they're giving you $20,000 or so on loan for a few years.

Use the aid estimator (https://osap.gov.on.ca/AidEstimatorWeb/enterapp/enter.xhtml?lang=en) to enter your relevant family information. You can enter your mother being on disability and your father not being around and that will definitely affect your loan amount.
Was this helpful? Yes 0