yconic - OSAP Estimate... What????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OSAP Estimate... What????

A photo of irisf irisf
So I just finished with the online portion of my osap application and submitted it. I was hoping for a pretty large sum of money, but the estimate came out to $3,000?

My parents are both unemployed and we're so far in debt that they can't afford to help me, and the university that I was planning on attending is 3 hours away from home. The estimate covers a little over half of my tuition but I can't go unless osap gives me more money or my parents miraculously become middle class citizens over night? What do I do?

I think the reason that the osap estimate is so low is because my parents made a fair bit of money in the year that osap asked for income tax returns etc. They both lost their jobs this year, and before they had their jobs last year we almost had to declare bankruptcy... Is there some appeal I can make?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm no OSAP expert, as I am from Alberta not Ontario, but there may be some way you can explain an exceptional circumstance. However, perhaps you might just need to take a year off and then reapply with their current financial status. You could work and save up some money in the process. That may seem like the worst idea in the world, but I know so many people who did it and loved it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I actually had the same thing happen to me and I called OSAP about it.

What you have to do is go to the financial aid office at the university you will be attending and ask them to use an income estimate for the next tax year. So for 2011 income estimate to replace the reported 2010 income. You'll need documentation like previous tax returns or a way to show what they earn now or will earn.

They should work with you, they were really great to deal with so I recommend giving them a call.

Hope everything works out for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ever think of working?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@ARMY101 wrote
Ever think of working?

Working isn't typically going to cover all of the $20,000-$25,000 per year in expenses you have when you go away for school, sometimes loans are necessary.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hammyter Hammyter
i got 13,600 as estimate. mom is a homemaker and dad only makes close to 30k a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Ever think of working?

Working isn't typically going to cover all of the $20,000-$25,000 per year in expenses you have when you go away for school, sometimes loans are necessary.

$20-25,000?! Are you going to Harvard law?! I've made about $25,000 a year for the past 4 years, and that's been more than enough to cover tuition and live comfortably.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@ARMY101 wrote

@ktel wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Ever think of working?

$20-25,000?! Are you going to Harvard law?! I've made about $25,000 a year for the past 4 years, and that's been more than enough to cover tuition and live comfortably.

University costs $20,000-$25,000 a year if you are living away from home, especially in first year. Shortcutting further will make your lifestyle rather uncomfortable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@ktel wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Ever think of working?

University costs $20,000-$25,000 a year if you are living away from home, especially in first year. Shortcutting further will make your lifestyle rather uncomfortable.

Did you not just read what I said? I've been living away from home, in my own apartment, making my own food, paying for a car, and I've survived on making $20-25,000 a year, and I've even been able to save a substantial amount of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@irisf wrote
Is there some appeal I can make?

This might help:[url]https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/OSAPStarttoFinish/FullTimeStudents/Step7AmountofYourAid/TCONT003442.html[/url]

I think you have a stronger case for making an appeal, provided you are eligible for assessment, if you have supporting documents to verify your parents' unemployment and whatnot. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@ARMY101 wrote

@ktel wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Ever think of working?

My graduate school unit estimates it costs $17,000/year to live in Toronto. Add almost $8,000 in tuition and you have $25,000.

Rent is minimum $500/month, food $300/month, insurance and gas $250/month. $1050/month on basic essentials is $12,600. You are going to need some variable money. Add in tuition and books and you're easily over $20,000.

As a graduate student I become ineligible for funding if I work more than 10 hours a week. Say I am getting paid $12/hour working a typical student job, I can make about $4,500 during the school year. Hopefully I make more in the summer. My point is not everyone can make $20,000-$25,000 per year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0