OSAP Repayment - early?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OSAP Repayment - early?

A photo of UoftConfused UoftConfused
Hey, I was wondering if payments to your loan can only be made once your graduate or are not a student anymore? I currently have around a 3500 loan and with the way things have been working out lately, I definitely can afford to pay it off, however I am not graduating (far from it- I'm in 1st year). I tried to look for this information on the OSAP website, but was unable to find it. I just think it'd be great to pay it off now rather than wait 3 years and have a much larger amount built up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, you can make a repayment any time you want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Warning though. My sister started paying back her OSAP after first year and they knocked back her next year OSAP amount by a landslide...I assume it is because they think you have the money. ??? Could be wrong though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Take the money and any loans they may give you in subsequent years and invest it. Gov't is giving it to you interest-free for 4 years. Put it in some conservative investment and under a TFSA account so no tax. Then once you graduate, pay it all off in one lump sum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ya. I am going the TFSA route. Put the OSAP in there and with the high interest, hopefully, be able to pay it off right away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0