yconic - OSAP trouble..help, need advice
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OSAP trouble..help, need advice

A photo of IzzyG IzzyG

OK so I'm a complete idiot, a horrible, irresponsible student. It's December and I never picked up my OSAP certificate due to many many personal issues. The thing is I never wanted to start University now. I felt I was not prepared for such responsibilities-academic and financial wise, and as well as the social aspect of it. So I found no motivation to go do the things I needed to do. That and I felt out of place and so uncomfortable. I only went to school so my parents would not disown me. I kept on telling myself that I was going to drop out, take a semester off and all but never did. I just barely got through the semester. Now my tuition isn't paid for and I'm not sure what will happen and I'm just so lost.

I know that it's all my fault and I don't deserve to be in such an institution- I go to Carleton. But I am seriously concerned about this and I just don't know what to do. Has anyone been in this kind of situation? And if so how did you get through it?
Any advice on what I should do? Will my funding-OSAP be revoked? Will I go on probation or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of IzzyG IzzyG
Great, wow. No replies yet.
This is seriously stressing me out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
There are two perspectives here:

From OSAP's perspective, you didn't need to pick up your OSAP in September. You can just go in January and they'll give you your full loan amount, instead of the two installments like they would have done if you went in September AND in January.

From Carleton's perspective, they don't have money. And they need your money. They'll probably refuse to release your grades if you don't pay your tuition by a certain date, and you'll also have a fair amount of late fees occurring on your account for not paying.

The Solution?
Get your OSAP in January and pay Carleton. Let this be a lesson to keep your crap together and stay on the ball. Whatever life throws at you, get over it and keep your responsibilities.

If this is your parents forcing you to do something you don't want to do, stand up to them and do what you want. If all your fees are paid off and you're done the year, take some time off to reconsider what you want to do, then do something you want to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@IzzyG wrote
Great, wow. No replies yet.
This is seriously stressing me out.

Relax. It's the holiday season and you only waited about 40 minutes. I'm here and I can help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IzzyG IzzyG
Thank you so much.
This whole thing has been driving me bananas and...ugh just thank you for the insight and advice.

Happy holidays

Cheers!
Was this helpful? Yes 0