yconic - OSSAP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

OSSAP

A photo of stephaniie stephaniie
I am looking into applying to university this fall and my main concern in the money and how much its going to cost. For people who are currently enrolled in OSSAP how does it exactly work? What if you have a part time job, does that affetc how much money you receive?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of AshleyLynne AshleyLynne
Above all it really depends on how much money your parents make. They don't care whether your parents are helping u pay for school or not, just their income. Im not even sure if they ask you if u have a job or not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
The OSAP website has the answer to most of your questions. Go check out the aid calculator and fill in the appropriate values for your income, your parent's income, etc. That will give you an estimate.

They require that you estimate your earnings and also provide any changes in income. They also need your parents' income information from their previous tax returns.

Of course, the more money you and your parents make, the more that should be going towards your education.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sythis Sythis
sometimes its not even worth applying so be sure to look up other ways to get the money for school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sythis wrote
sometimes its not even worth applying so be sure to look up other ways to get the money for school

:scratch:

OSAP is interest-free money that doesn't have to be paid back until after you're done school. Doesn't get any better than that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jacobtreeslayer Jacobtreeslayer
so if your parents make a lot of money but aren't willing to cough up any for your education, you still won't get much out of OSAP because they assume that your parents should be contributing more of their money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jacobtreeslayer wrote
so if your parents make a lot of money but aren't willing to cough up any for your education, you still won't get much out of OSAP because they assume that your parents should be contributing more of their money.

Right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of haileybouckhuyt haileybouckhuyt
Im just going to start going to university and im a little scared about using OSSAP i dont really know how to go about it . can someone explain
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@haileybouckhuyt wrote
Im just going to start going to university and im a little scared about using OSSAP i dont really know how to go about it . can someone explain

1. It's OSAP.

2. OSAP's website does a great job explaining what it does and how you'll be getting and paying back your money. If you have specific questions, and them again and I'll answer them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KathleenE KathleenE
University is a lot of money, some schools and programs are deregulated (meaning they can charge double what a regular student pays). OSAP helps but only if you qualify. I personally don't (based on parents income) even though my parent's dont fund my education. I am forced to work full-time in the summer and part-time during the school year to fund my education.

Check out OSAPs website for more information as to whether you qualify or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrandonMarkBernard18 BrandonMarkBernard18
I have a couple questions about OSAP.

1) My dad is currently unemployed but he has a lot in his savings. However he'd rather me get money elsewhere first then whatever else i need he will provide. My question is does OSAP only look at income or also lifestyle because based on how we live versus our income it would seem a bit suspicious.
2) Also is it possible to pay off all your debt in one shot when your done university. For example if my dad doesn't want me in debt and decides to pay it all off is it possible?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BrandonMarkBernard18 wrote
1) My dad is currently unemployed but he has a lot in his savings. However he'd rather me get money elsewhere first then whatever else i need he will provide. My question is does OSAP only look at income or also lifestyle because based on how we live versus our income it would seem a bit suspicious.

They will look at all monetary accounts that your parents hold.

2) Also is it possible to pay off all your debt in one shot when your done university. For example if my dad doesn't want me in debt and decides to pay it all off is it possible?

Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0