yconic - Other than academics, what other things should you do to be ready for university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Other than academics, what other things should you do to be ready for university?

A photo of brady23 brady23
Financially, I know you should be prepared by applying to scholarships, bursaries, RESPs, etc.

Responsibility wise, you should be prepared (good time management skills, organization skills, self regulation skills, etc)

But what other ways can you show that you are ready for university?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Physically, definitely hahaa.
I found now that I'm in university, I'm a lot lazier than I was last year in high school.
I guess it depends from person to person, but I find that I devote all my spare time to studying that I don't have much time left to myself for cooking a proper meal or exercising as much as I used to. :(
Don't let that freshmen 15 hit you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Get ready to not be sober for the next 4 years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Xiaohaha wrote
Get ready to not be sober for the next 4 years.

False
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 456ooo456 456ooo456
i think the main thing, although you've already mentioned it, is good time management skills. this is much easier said than done. in university, there is absolutely no room whatsoever for slacking off, and only a lucky few can pull off decent marks if they do so. you can't procrastinate. it's not like high school where it's easy to catch up if you fall a little behind. there's a lot to cover in a short amount of time, so even missing one lecture is a big deal. just be prepared to work hard and study a bit everyday, the night before finals cramming that gives easy A's is high school is not possible here. i ruined my first semester at university by slacking off, and i see that had i just put a bit more effort into studying, i would have easily been able to do much, much better. i learned the hard way - although better late than never. good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
Great question, and thank you to the above poster.

I completely support it, and I really need to also follow it. My time management skills are horrible.

Using your time wisely, #1 thing in the world. Time is money. Don't waste it. I do a lot of wasting, no lie. I constantly have things going on, they're so little yet I give them too much time. I "wish" I could study in my "spare" time. I barely have time to actually chill out and watch Youtube or something, although I do it a LOT.

Nonetheless, I will definitely work hard to use my time wisely. Thanks once again to the above poster. It is much easier said than done!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23
Thanks guys. You were helpful a lot.

My teacher asked us to make a list of 5 things that you need to do to be prepared for university, and I only have four:

1) time management and other soft skills
2) financial support (scholarships, RESPs, etc.)
3) have good marks of prerequisites for university programs (obvious)
4) plan your future so you don't waste time in university (know what your goal is)

I need a fifth one. Any ideas?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted