yconic - Other than UoT and Waterloo, what are the best universities for engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Other than UoT and Waterloo, what are the best universities for engineering?

A photo of blockblock455 blockblock455
Specifically software engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
I honestly do not believe that the location of the undergrad degree matters, however, if you are interested in entering the industry straight out of university than location may matter. I am only saying this because as long as the program is accredited you are fine, what employers really want is to see your interest in the field, and the extra-cirricular and volunteer work you have done.(YES Don't think your done with highschool LOL, well volunteering is optional when your older, but its always a good, selfless act of kindness.) Anyways, Back to your question, for software engineering, I am not too sure, but you should consider McGill, McMaster(It has Co-op i believe), and if you are looking for a new university, UOIT. It does have a software engineering program and the school is almost a decade old(Not sure) but its new compared to all the others.

On a Side Note, can you or someone else on this forum explain to me the difference between obtaining a computer science degree and a software engineering degree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@sascer520 wrote
On a Side Note, can you or someone else on this forum explain to me the difference between obtaining a computer science degree and a software engineering degree?

It depends on the school, but in the end, they both compete for mostly the same jobs. It's just that software engineers have to take engineering courses, and therefore have less flexibility when it comes to their degree. Computer science majors get more electives, can (sometimes) specialize in different stuff, and generally do more theoretical stuff as opposed to a soft ware engineer who might do more concrete work (also depends on the school/program).
In general though, they both compete for the same jobs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
^- 1+
Was this helpful? Yes 0