yconic - Other than your Top 6 marks, do other marks matter?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Other than your Top 6 marks, do other marks matter?

A photo of DeanVermillion DeanVermillion
HEY THIS IS MY #101 POSTS ON THIS FORUM, LOOKS LIKE I HAVE BEEN ON SA FOR QUITE A LONG TIME LOL.

Anywayz, So I have a qualified top 6 average for business programs (in the 90s), this also included all the prerequisite courses. However my other courses, like physics and data management are not doing well, they range from mid to high 80s, mainly because I didn't pay attention in class and never completed any homework lol. However, my question is would this affect my admission to universities (business programs), or the chance of an early offer?

If given another chance to start over, I would definitely focus on those subjects and perform much better. Sigh.

I would appreciate some professional answers or statements made by other students, former applicants or just anybody who knows about this.

Thank you in advance! Need help on this!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I LIKE TYPIN IN CAPZ 2 LULZ IS FUN

IF DIS FISICKS IZ RLY LOW DEN UZ GUNNA SEE PRBLEMS, BUT IF IT AINT PREREQUISITE DEN DEY AINT BIN CARING

YOUS WATCH OUT FOR PREREQUISITES THO, CUZ THEM PEEPS WILL BE PUTTIN THEM ALL UP IN YO TOP 6 CALCULATIONZ.

THEY DONt THINK IT BE LIKE IT IS, BUT IT DO

PCE
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
... what just happened here?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite
Yes it does.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

BECAUSE I SAID SO!!11111
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@erudite wrote
BECAUSE I SAID SO!!11111

Oh come on, and by 80s, I meant mid to high 80s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
top 6, its pretty self explanatory man. all they care is your top 6 average, other than that, you just need to pass ur other classes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote
top 6, its pretty self explanatory man. all they care is your top 6 average, other than that, you just need to pass ur other classes

Thanks Joshki, you seem to know quite a lot, I trust you lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johneidude johneidude
Wow, it still boggles my mind that in order for local students to get into a good University, all they have to do is do well in 6 courses in grade 12. Its ridiculous how lax Canadian University admissions are. If they were more strict, like the ones in the US, where they took the average of all 4 years (with an emphasis on the last 2) and also put emphasis on the difficulty of the courses, as well as the EC's, maybe more than 3 Universities in Canada would be in the top 50 in the world, and they would be on a more level playing field with the top schools in the States.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johneidude wrote
Wow, it still boggles my mind that in order for local students to get into a good University, all they have to do is do well in 6 courses in grade 12. Its ridiculous how lax Canadian University admissions are. If they were more strict, like the ones in the US, where they took the average of all 4 years (with an emphasis on the last 2) and also put emphasis on the difficulty of the courses, as well as the EC's, maybe more than 3 Universities in Canada would be in the top 50 in the world, and they would be on a more level playing field with the top schools in the States.

Hey dude, so you are from the States lol, I was only born in the States, didn't know you guys had a system like this. Very interesting, because people (Canadian students)tend not to work hard in grade 9 and 10s, no one cares about school as 9th grader I guess lol. Personally, I have worked hard all the way from 8th grade to now, but physics is just not my thing I guess
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@DeanVermillion wrote

@johneidude wrote

Hey dude, so you are from the States lol, I was only born in the States, didn't know you guys had a system like this. Very interesting, because people (Canadian students)tend not to work hard in grade 9 and 10s, no one cares about school as 9th grader I guess lol. Personally, I have worked hard all the way from 8th grade to now, but physics is just not my thing I guess

I am not from the states, I am an International student. I just know how the US system works because I applied to a decent amount of US schools back a few years ago, and I also studied at a private school, and they emphasized how Ivy league schools would be looking at our application, and how they wanted well rounded students who did EC's. But, not just doing EC's, but doing like a focused type (so specialize in public speaking, or sports, and etc) rather than just doing a bunch of them for the sake of doing it. They also (well the top ones) look at all 4 years, (with an emphasis on the last 2) and look at the rigor of the course work. So if someone took AP/IB courses but had a GPA of 3.6, they would look at him/her more favorably than someone who took easy courses and had a 4.0.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johneidude wrote

@DeanVermillion wrote

@johneidude wrote

I am not from the states, I am an International student. I just know how the US system works because I applied to a decent amount of US schools back a few years ago, and I also studied at a private school, and they emphasized how Ivy league schools would be looking at our application, and how they wanted well rounded students who did EC's. But, not just doing EC's, but doing like a focused type (so specialize in public speaking, or sports, and etc) rather than just doing a bunch of them for the sake of doing it. They also (well the top ones) look at all 4 years, (with an emphasis on the last 2) and look at the rigor of the course work. So if someone took AP/IB courses but had a GPA of 3.6, they would look at him/her more favorably than someone who took easy courses and had a 4.0.

Interesting to know, so where are you studying now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@DeanVermillion wrote

@johneidude wrote

@DeanVermillion wrote

@johneidude wrote

UBC Sauder
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johneidude wrote

@DeanVermillion wrote

@johneidude wrote

@DeanVermillion wrote

@johneidude wrote

UBC Sauder

cool, west coast!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27

@johneidude wrote

Funny guy. I would say the opposite.. US schools don't even emphasize your high school grades at all. They want just A's coming from high school (of course more for real prestige programs). What they really care about is your SAT. I personally know multiple relatives who have gotten really good on their SAT's (which is not too hard), but fairly above average in high school, maybe a mid 80 or so. Last 2 years are taken into consideration, but many universities request to see all 4 in case of scholarships or some limited programs. Also, emphasis is put on more difficult courses - for Business, pretty much 2/3 maths are needed, 4U courses are needed and 2M at max..Waterloo weighs each course differently. And Business programs look at your EC's..some weigh them 50/50 with your marks, maybe even more. US is giving recent grads a tough time..only worth going to the top schools IMO. Canada has very few unis to begin with, 3 being in the top 50 is quite an accomplishment really (Lol), even tho we should have more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Finance27 wrote

@johneidude wrote

Funny guy. I would say the opposite.. US schools don't even emphasize your high school grades at all. They want just A's coming from high school (of course more for real prestige programs). What they really care about is your SAT. I personally know multiple relatives who have gotten really good on their SAT's (which is not too hard), but fairly above average in high school, maybe a mid 80 or so. Last 2 years are taken into consideration, but many universities request to see all 4 in case of scholarships or some limited programs. Also, emphasis is put on more difficult courses - for Business, pretty much 2/3 maths are needed, 4U courses are needed and 2M at max..Waterloo weighs each course differently. And Business programs look at your EC's..some weigh them 50/50 with your marks, maybe even more. US is giving recent grads a tough time..only worth going to the top schools IMO. Canada has very few unis to begin with, 3 being in the top 50 is quite an accomplishment really (Lol), even tho we should have more.

I am only talking about the top US schools (the top 20-30) since the US does have a lot of schools that are sub-par, but it also has a lot of schools that are amazing. They do put a lot of emphasis on the SAT, but they still put a lot of emphasis on your 4 years, and the difficulty of the courses. Using isolated incidents of relatives is not enough, a good SAT would help make up for average grades, but the US schools (the top ones) emphasize admissions where they look at everything, with an emphasis on the last 2 years. Doing well on the SAT is easy though imo, and the test is not representative of college level coursework, so I would say I dont understand why they put that much emphasis on it, but seeing as how so many public High Schools inflate their grades (both in the US and Canada), this I guess is a necessary evil. Realize that an A in school X does not necessarily equal to an A in school Y, the two schools can differ in how they grade and etc. The SAT tries to take this into account I think. But man, I hated taking the SAT, damn test is ridiculously long and tedious (4+ hours). The math section is a joke, and the reading sections are pointless (in the sense that they dont represent University level stuff at all).

I agree it is an accomplishment (3 in top 50), but we could do better. Not only could Canada have more schools in the top 50, but they could have the current top 50 higher up in those rankings. Making admissions harder is one step in that process, some other potential steps being limiting the in take of students, increasing tuition fees, and etc. As for Canadian schools, admissions into them are, I am sorry, but they are on the easy side, they should make it tougher to ensure that they get the best students, and then they should focus on those students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@johneidude wrote

@Finance27 wrote

@johneidude wrote

I am only talking about the top US schools (the top 20-30) since the US does have a lot of schools that are sub-par, but it also has a lot of schools that are amazing. They do put a lot of emphasis on the SAT, but they still put a lot of emphasis on your 4 years, and the difficulty of the courses. Using isolated incidents of relatives is not enough, a good SAT would help make up for average grades, but the US schools (the top ones) emphasize admissions where they look at everything, with an emphasis on the last 2 years. Doing well on the SAT is easy though imo, and the test is not representative of college level coursework, so I would say I dont understand why they put that much emphasis on it, but seeing as how so many public High Schools inflate their grades (both in the US and Canada), this I guess is a necessary evil. Realize that an A in school X does not necessarily equal to an A in school Y, the two schools can differ in how they grade and etc. The SAT tries to take this into account I think. But man, I hated taking the SAT, damn test is ridiculously long and tedious (4+ hours). The math section is a joke, and the reading sections are pointless (in the sense that they dont represent University level stuff at all).

I agree it is an accomplishment (3 in top 50), but we could do better. Not only could Canada have more schools in the top 50, but they could have the current top 50 higher up in those rankings. Making admissions harder is one step in that process, some other potential steps being limiting the in take of students, increasing tuition fees, and etc. As for Canadian schools, admissions into them are, I am sorry, but they are on the easy side, they should make it tougher to ensure that they get the best students, and then they should focus on those students.

I only really read the last part of you wrote, so I'm sorry if my argument makes no sense. I agree that while top Canadian schools are easier to get into than top American schools, increasing tuition fees and limiting enrollment goes against the point of having a publicly funded education system imo. The great part of going to school in Canada is the cheap tuition fees and accessibility for the great (top 50) education you can get. The only state schools that are really reputable in the States (comparable to the Ivies/MIT/Stanford etc.) are Michigan and California (I'm just reading the Times rankings). The rest are all private and have ridiculous tuition fees and are extremely exclusive. That just goes against the whole idea of a public university imo, which is cheap, accessible higher education.
Maybe having private universities in Canada would work, but it's impossible to compete against the top American universities at this point imo.
Also, I wrote this at 4am so sorry if my argument is (very) poorly worded.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Windsongs4 wrote

HIS INITIAL POST WAS IN ALL CAPS AND TYPIN LIKE LOLS AND ENDINGZ WORD WITH Z'S

SO I REPLIED THE SAME WAY HE BIN POSTING

but then he edited his post and wrote it normally
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@johneidude wrote

@Finance27 wrote

@johneidude wrote

What you're focusing on is the publicly funded vs private university debate. That's a whole different argument. That has very little to do with admissions, other than that the private schools are able to be more exclusive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hm...I always thought that Canadian universities make it easy to get into so that they can collect more tuition money. Raising tuition fees would be a terrible idea because most people already have difficulty trying to pay their fees.
I think we should have standardized exams (same eng4u, mhf4u, mcv4u exams) throughout ontario at least. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@karan8624 wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

HIS INITIAL POST WAS IN ALL CAPS AND TYPIN LIKE LOLS AND ENDINGZ WORD WITH Z'S

SO I REPLIED THE SAME WAY HE BIN POSTING

but then he edited his post and wrote it normally

lol k :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@erudite wrote
Hm...I always thought that Canadian universities make it easy to get into so that they can collect more tuition money. Raising tuition fees would be a terrible idea because most people already have difficulty trying to pay their fees.
I think we should have standardized exams (same eng4u, mhf4u, mcv4u exams) throughout ontario at least. :/

I agree with johnidude - the uni admission system is wayy too easy.

erudite: that is a big reason (for tuition oney). I`ve read books on the public education system, and indeed because these unis are not private like the US, they need governmental endowments- however these do not make up for all their expenses, so they really on student tuition to cover around 50% of their operating costs -and often still going into deficit. FOr example queens in 2010 was at a 6 mill deficit (which gov had to support- i think) Also, if you guys have noticed, the entrance scholarships (and many other kind of scholarships), if renewable, will only give you 1/4 of the money in first year, and the rest is conditional upon maintaining a set avg. -thats because many students drop after first year, and they dont want to give you all that money :P Also- they often have the lowest money given to you in the first year (*for example, 2,000$ in yr. 1, and 3,000$ every subsequent year).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
Harvard is harder to get into than Schulich. Most likely true. But other universities = same difficulty as Canada, both of which are relatively EASY to get into! Almost everyone out of my high school is going to A university, with 70s, 80s, and 90s. Top prestigious programs? Very few..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pawnee Pawnee
The Canadian system certainly seems to be more casual in a number of ways. But isn't it harder to do well in Canadian schools than in American? That's what I've heard, but I could be wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0