yconic - Ottawa, McGill or Western (pros/cons)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ottawa, McGill or Western (pros/cons)

A photo of ccunning76 ccunning76
These are my three choices for university next year but I can't decide what to choose. I'm taking biomed at all three with intentions of med school afterwards. I'd also love to go away to residency but I don't know if it's worth the student loans I'd need:

Ottawa
PROS
- I can live at home for free
- Huge scholarship
- Easy GPA (?)
CONS
- Not as recognized
- Awful student rankings
- No residency
- Bad campus

McGill
PROS
- Great reputation
- Live in residency
- Great city
CONS
- No scholarships
- Student loans
- Hard to get high GPA

Western
PROS
- Pretty good rep.
- Residency
- Great campus
- Easy GPA (so I've heard).
- Great atmosphere
CONS
- Small scholarship
- Student loans
- Rich "snob" reputation

HELP =D ! and feel free to add any of your own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Go to Ottawa. I think it will be the best option for you. You will save a lot of money and achieve high marks at the same time. From there, you can apply to med school. The rep is not going to be a major disadvantage. That's just my 2c.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
If you want to stay in Canada for med school, go to Ottawa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Western. It has the most pros and the cons aren't the end of the world.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I would go with McGill any day, but that's because I have a love affair with it...

It also depends on your financial situation. I wouldn't go to Western personally because its program has mild reputation and its scholarships are less than Ottawa's.

In my opinion, if you're leaning towards a financially cheaper option, then it would be:
1) Ottawa
2) Western
3) McGill

In terms of international reputation...
1) McGill
2) Ottawa(people know Ottawa is the capital)
3) Western

Also I dislike Western(except for Richard Ivey) because it's a notorious party school. I've heard wild stories and while my perceptions may be generalized, it seems that most are brain dead party animals(ones who are not in the good programs like Richard Ivey or biomed) and that's just a bad influence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35 wrote
I would go with McGill any day, but that's because I have a love affair with it...

It also depends on your financial situation. I wouldn't go to Western personally because its program has mild reputation and its scholarships are less than Ottawa's.

In my opinion, if you're leaning towards a financially cheaper option, then it would be:
1) Ottawa
2) Western
3) McGill

1) McGill
3) Western

Also I dislike Western(except for Richard Ivey) because it's a notorious party school. I've heard wild stories and while my perceptions may be generalized, it seems that most are brain dead party animals(ones who are not in the good programs like Richard Ivey or biomed) and that's just a bad influence.

You dislike Western because you merely "heard" about their parties? Well. It's a different kettle of fish if you actually attended there but *sigh. What can I say?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rx Rx
whats wrong with you people?
ANYWHERE BUT OTTAWA.
They have the lowest student satisfaction rate in all of Canada, and they had that title consistently over the years.
If you insist on staying in Ottawa, go to Carleton.
You'll thank me later.

Otherwise, I would pick Western because its a solid school overall.
Lol Daruki, who cares if its a party school? Its your choice if you want to be part of it or not, and moderate partying is a good thing in uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ryan0716 ryan0716

@Daruki35 wrote

1) Ottawa
2) Western
3) McGill

1) McGill
3) Western

You're assumption that students in faculties other than Business and Science are party animals is extremely ignorant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@ryan0716 wrote
You're assumption that students in faculties other than Business and Science are party animals is extremely ignorant.

And how can you hate on Western for partying when you have a "love affair" with McGill?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Zion wrote

@ryan0716 wrote

And how can you hate on Western for partying when you have a "love affair" with McGill?

You got the wrong guy, unless you were just adding onto Ryan's post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@heesoup wrote

@Zion wrote

@ryan0716 wrote

You got the wrong guy, unless you were just adding onto Ryan's post.

I was adding. Hence "and".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@Daruki35 wrote

What else have you heard about Western under the rock you live under?

It really doesn't surprise me that people who choose schools based on their "party reputations" are the same morons who choose schools based on their so-called prestige and international reputation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0