yconic - Ottawa U (Health Science) Vs. Queen's (Science-Life Sci)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ottawa U (Health Science) Vs. Queen's (Science-Life Sci)

A photo of LukasK94 LukasK94
Hello,

I am currently a high school student within the province of Ontario, Canada. I have been accepted into 2/3 post-secondary programs that I have applied for this year. My submission for McMaster Health Sci is still pending; however, I am not holding my breath. After my undergraduate degree, I look to pursue medical school (Yes, I am another one of those students).

Now, I understand any type of degree can apply to Canadian Medical schools (Correct me if I may be wrong). The ultimate goal is to maintain a high GPA + along with creating a unique portfolio which defines you as an individual. With this being stated, will Ottawa U's Health Science or Queen's Science (branching off into life science) be any more advantageous than one another? Again, I may be incorrect, but I believe Queen's Life Sci will be a more rigorous course in comparison? However, Ottawa's Health Science involves some science, but also takes an alternative approach with classes like psychology, etc.

Will both of these programs ensure prerequisites are met? Additionally, I do not believe Ottawa U Health Sci comes with mandatory first year physics/calculus. I am currently enrolled in both courses at my high school. Will the lack of these courses at Ottawa be an issue after I receive my degree and seek acceptance into medical school?

In advanced, thank you for all those who take the time to read/reply. I sincerely appreciate any assistance. Some of these questions may be difficult to answer first hand, however, any advice will not go unwelcomed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@LukasK94 wrote
Hello,

I am currently a high school student within the province of Ontario, Canada. I have been accepted into 2/3 post-secondary programs that I have applied for this year. My submission for McMaster Health Sci is still pending; however, I am not holding my breath. After my undergraduate degree, I look to pursue medical school (Yes, I am another one of those students).

Now, I understand any type of degree can apply to Canadian Medical schools (Correct me if I may be wrong). The ultimate goal is to maintain a high GPA + along with creating a unique portfolio which defines you as an individual. With this being stated, will Ottawa U's Health Science or Queen's Science (branching off into life science) be any more advantageous than one another? Again, I may be incorrect, but I believe Queen's Life Sci will be a more rigorous course in comparison? However, Ottawa's Health Science involves some science, but also takes an alternative approach with classes like psychology, etc.

Will both of these programs ensure prerequisites are met? Additionally, I do not believe Ottawa U Health Sci comes with mandatory first year physics/calculus. I am currently enrolled in both courses at my high school. Will the lack of these courses at Ottawa be an issue after I receive my degree and seek acceptance into medical school?

In advanced, thank you for all those who take the time to read/reply. I sincerely appreciate any assistance. Some of these questions may be difficult to answer first hand, however, any advice will not go unwelcomed.

Yes, you can be any degree to apply for med school.
I got accepted at University of Ottawa too but for Bio Med. I am looking into the school seriously now since I realized Physics (hate it with passion) is not a compulsory subject at all in any year though Calculus is in the 1st year.

I have been told by someone who is in the 3rd year Biomed that the program does prepare you well for med school plus another thing that I am beginning to like about this program is you can apply for coop in Biomed after your 2nd year so basically you have 2 years to figure out if Med school is what you really want and I do believe you have more electives in Health Science than in Biomed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0