yconic - Ottawa vs York vs Mcmaster
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ottawa vs York vs Mcmaster

A photo of Yophuu Yophuu
Hi guys, I need a help for some suggestion..

I am international student who currently studying in high schol in Ontario. I have already got offer from ottawa university(Finance, co-op)with scholarship $4000x4, york university(BAS)with scholarship $1000x4,and McMaster (Business) scholarship $750x3. After I graduated I want to take designation.

questions:
1.for Ottawa University, can I change my program from Finance to Accounting if in OUAC I applied only for finance and I have got an offer for Finance. (cos actually I'm still not sure to take accounting or finance)

2. for that condition which University do u guys think I should go?
cos as an international student I dont know much about the good and bad about universities in Canada. Please also give me the reason why I should choose this one and not to chose others.

thx very much for ur help guys. I really appreciate that :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of KangJules KangJules
I've been admitted in both Ottawa and Mcmasters with scholarships as well. I'm pretty sure that i'll go to Ottawa for a few reasons:

They have higher reputation- I'm planning to live in the U.S or study there too in the future and any university of a capital city automatically gets some reputation in an outer country. For example they'll look at your C.V and Ottawa would stand out to them because they know it's Canada's capital city. Rather than let's say Carleton or McMasters, they wouldn't be sure what that university is.

Downtown- It's going to be fun living downtown, everything is convenient.

Building- I went from Montreal to Ottawa to take a tour in their telfer management school's building and it looks very nice, I loved it. It's a brand new chix building.

And of course, the pleasant scholarship offer :)

Hope this helps.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
1. I am sure you can do that if not in 1st year, then in 2nd by transferring from one program to another within university.

2. I would choose York, but only with assumption that you will get A+ average in the first year so you can transfer to Schulich School of Business, York University in the 2nd year to do BBA instead of the current degree. It is very hard to get into through delayed entry, but possible. You can read more about it here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yophuu Yophuu

@KangJules wrote
I've been admitted in both Ottawa and Mcmasters with scholarships as well. I'm pretty sure that i'll go to Ottawa for a few reasons:

They have higher reputation- I'm planning to live in the U.S or study there too in the future and any university of a capital city automatically gets some reputation in an outer country. For example they'll look at your C.V and Ottawa would stand out to them because they know it's Canada's capital city. Rather than let's say Carleton or McMasters, they wouldn't be sure what that university is.

Building- I went from Montreal to Ottawa to take a tour in their telfer management school's building and it looks very nice, I loved it. It's a brand new chix building.

Hope this helps.

*Ohh.. iciicc. thx. yeah I have seen the building using the virtual campus tour in OttawaU website, it is quite nice.

*in your opinion, how about the streaming? can I change from finance to accounting?

*for the scholarship, I heard somehow that it is a harder to maintain high mark in Ottawa University which means the scholarship can be canceled by university for the following years.

*oh yah.. another problem is.. I heard from my friends that the residence life in Ottawa is very noisy and she cannot study because of that. As a result she prefers to live off campus. As a first year student It is a bit hard for me to live off campus, but I also want a quite residence. do u have any suggestion for this?

thx:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yophuu Yophuu

@MINTOK wrote
1. I am sure you can do that if not in 1st year, then in 2nd by transferring from one program to another within university.

2. I would choose York, but only with assumption that you will get A+ average in the first year so you can transfer to Schulich School of Business, York University in the 2nd year to do BBA instead of the current degree. It is very hard to get into through delayed entry, but possible. You can read more about it here.

1. For other universities I am quite sure about that. But when I received the offer letter from Ottawa, they really specifically write.."u are accepted to commerce, finance option, co-op"
while in the offer letter I got from other universities they just write commerce.. they do not specifically write my streaming in the offer letter. so I am a bit worry about this.

2. at the first I also wanted to do the transfer to Schulich. But after I know it is really hard and I also know my limit.. I do not think it is my way. hehehe.
so, in case if I will not consider transferring to Schulich, do u still suggest me to go to York (BAS) or you would suggest me the other universities (McMaster, Ottawa)?

thx yo :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Yophuu wrote

@MINTOK wrote

1. For other universities I am quite sure about that. But when I received the offer letter from Ottawa, they really specifically write.."u are accepted to commerce, finance option, co-op"
while in the offer letter I got from other universities they just write commerce.. they do not specifically write my streaming in the offer letter. so I am a bit worry about this.

2. at the first I also wanted to do the transfer to Schulich. But after I know it is really hard and I also know my limit.. I do not think it is my way. hehehe.
so, in case if I will not consider transferring to Schulich, do u still suggest me to go to York (BAS) or you would suggest me the other universities (McMaster, Ottawa)?

Then you should really consider your goals and what kind of environment you would like to live/study in. If you are planning to work abroad after university, uOttawa might be a very good option since people would easily recognize the name. However, being at York might be good because you can build a good network in Toronto. This decision is yours. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KangJules KangJules

@Yophuu wrote

@KangJules wrote

Hope this helps.

*Ohh.. iciicc. thx. yeah I have seen the building using the virtual campus tour in OttawaU website, it is quite nice.

*in your opinion, how about the streaming? can I change from finance to accounting?

*for the scholarship, I heard somehow that it is a harder to maintain high mark in Ottawa University which means the scholarship can be canceled by university for the following years.

*oh yah.. another problem is.. I heard from my friends that the residence life in Ottawa is very noisy and she cannot study because of that. As a result she prefers to live off campus. As a first year student It is a bit hard for me to live off campus, but I also want a quite residence. do u have any suggestion for this?

Since it's your first year, the courses should be the same (you might need to do some more research on this though I might be wrong) so yes you should be able to switch. Usually the first year should be called Management which gives every student a broad perspective on the field of business. After that during the upcoming second year, students will be in a better position to choose which specialization they would like to be in (finance, accounting, marketing)

I heard a lot of rumors going around saying that Ottawa recruits good students by offering them scholarships but then asking to maintain an A-. A lot of students will then fail to meet those standards but stay in Ottawa, benefiting them.

I agree with that. When I went to visit the residences, there were a lot of parties going on and people were really loud. I suggest you to try out the residence because you might get a good roomate and also you have perks such as having a lounge in each floor with a pool table and t.v. That will facilitate the connections you'll have with every individuals on the floor; in other words you'll make a lot of new friends.

Or, if you really despise living in residence because of whatever reason, you can always choose to live independently in an appartment, share an appartment with a roomate, find people that's renting a room in their house (just an hour ago I found an advertisement of a house for rent with about 5 rooms of ottawa U students) or finally, the best option in my opinion would be to take the Hyman soloway residence apartment style building which can take 2-4 people. Search it on google for more info.

Hope this hepls
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yophuu Yophuu

@MINTOK wrote

@Yophuu wrote

@MINTOK wrote

Then you should really consider your goals and what kind of environment you would like to live/study in. If you are planning to work abroad after university, uOttawa might be a very good option since people would easily recognize the name. However, being at York might be good because you can build a good network in Toronto. This decision is yours. :)

Actually I am planning to work here after I graduated. Okay thanks for your suggestion :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yophuu Yophuu

@KangJules wrote

@Yophuu wrote

@KangJules wrote

Hope this helps.

Since it's your first year, the courses should be the same (you might need to do some more research on this though I might be wrong) so yes you should be able to switch. Usually the first year should be called Management which gives every student a broad perspective on the field of business. After that during the upcoming second year, students will be in a better position to choose which specialization they would like to be in (finance, accounting, marketing)

I heard a lot of rumors going around saying that Ottawa recruits good students by offering them scholarships but then asking to maintain an A-. A lot of students will then fail to meet those standards but stay in Ottawa, benefiting them.

I agree with that. When I went to visit the residences, there were a lot of parties going on and people were really loud. I suggest you to try out the residence because you might get a good roomate and also you have perks such as having a lounge in each floor with a pool table and t.v. That will facilitate the connections you'll have with every individuals on the floor; in other words you'll make a lot of new friends.

Or, if you really despise living in residence because of whatever reason, you can always choose to live independently in an appartment, share an appartment with a roomate, find people that's renting a room in their house (just an hour ago I found an advertisement of a house for rent with about 5 rooms of ottawa U students) or finally, the best option in my opinion would be to take the Hyman soloway residence apartment style building which can take 2-4 people. Search it on google for more info.

Hope this hepls

okay. I will ask them directly about the streaming.thx.

so is the rumors about the scholarship and maintaining a good mark is true?

yeah.. I know how important it is to live in residence in the first year. But I am really cannot stand with that noisy environment. Isn't the Hyman soloway apartment style is for the upper year students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0