yconic - Paid Employment - Family Friends
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Paid Employment - Family Friends

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
Hi,

I was wondering - is paid employment with a company's whose head is friend with my family (hence how I got the job) not allowed to be considered as part of my supplementary application? Or is it ok to put it on there, it's paid employment I just wanted to know if I can put it on my activity list for Queen's/Schulich etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of noble11 noble11
It should be okay to put there. I personally have a job similar to your case, and a few of my friends are on the same boat we all put it. As long as its paid employement, ur good to go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
As long as you actually worked there and it isn't a lie, I don't see why even working for your own dad's company should be a problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist

@IanSharer wrote
As long as you actually worked there and it isn't a lie, I don't see why even working for your own dad's company should be a problem.

I'd put that but my parents run their own business so I don't think anyone would really take that or would they ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hmm, I would make sure to include all the information just in case. Leaving out little bits and pieces that make your message different is probably not the best idea.

Although I certainly think your situation is fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TruthfulTruist wrote

@IanSharer wrote

I'd put that but my parents run their own business so I don't think anyone would really take that or would they ?

I don't think it would hurt, just put that it is your parents' business, so then they can decide how big a factor it plays, instead of you not putting it or trying to pass it off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You still gain the same skills and spend the same amount of time working as compared to your parents hiring someone. Or if you work less because of favourable status with your boss/parents, then it'd be reflected in the '# of hours/week' field that you have to fill in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0