yconic - Paleontology...?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Paleontology...?

A photo of Mikelie Mikelie
HEY! Paleontology.... hows the career standings? I'm a high school student living in Alberta so Drumheller is a definite option. I don't mind going to be a prof at University when field work dries up, but how much does it pay? I know its not much, but I don't care as long as I love my job. Any ball park figures? Anyone have a friend in paleontology? Do they like it? ANY advice or tips are appreciated!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
hey! we have similar interests :) and i've done some research on career options and working at a museum or being an archivist is also an option if my whole discover-something-amazing-in-some-random-desert-or-something dream doesn't come true lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nicolee Nicolee
Their earnings are generally
$40,000 to $120,000 a year for professors
$25,000 to $100,000 a year or more for museum paleontologists
$35,000 to $60,000 a year or more for other paleontologists
Salaries vary depending on the nature of the work

They would work for universities, museums, governments, and companies. Professors work long hours. Other paleontologists have more regular schedules. You may travel to remote locations to look for fossils.
I would look into the universities you are applying to to see if you can study abroad one year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sbruggem sbruggem
I am also quite interested in this field as I am a 4th year Earth Surface Science (Geology) student. I was wondering what schools in Canada offer a Masters program in Paleontology and what it would entail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@Nicolee wrote
Their earnings are generally
$40,000 to $120,000 a year for professors
$25,000 to $100,000 a year or more for museum paleontologists
$35,000 to $60,000 a year or more for other paleontologists
Salaries vary depending on the nature of the work

They would work for universities, museums, governments, and companies. Professors work long hours. Other paleontologists have more regular schedules. You may travel to remote locations to look for fossils.
I would look into the universities you are applying to to see if you can study abroad one year.

Those salaries are frighteningly varied, even within the same profession.
Was this helpful? Yes 0