yconic - Parental Pressure or You like Math/Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Parental Pressure or You like Math/Engineering?

A photo of Bowchickawowwow Bowchickawowwow
My dad wanted me to be an engineer and still does now. I'm good at math >95 so my dad thinks I should be, but I hate it. Plus, he's an eng so he's like I need one kid to be like me. I was wondering why you guys want to take math/engineering?

The funny thing is I want to be a doctor because I love interacting with people..but he's like being a doctor is not as good/stupid compared to eng/math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
37 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If he has a job in the engineering field / mathematics field (lolwut), ask him to compare his own salary to your family doctor's. Then he can make judgements like that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
Since elementary school I was good at math/sciences so I always told myself I'll become an engineer. And then I took grade 11 and 12 sciences and I realized I hated it, even though I was pretty good at it. But math, I actually LIKE going to class and I am also good at it, so I decided engineering was not right for me and decided to apply to math (but I know, theres really nothing to do with a math degree..)

I think everyone should find their interests and pursue it. My only fear in life is that I will not like my job and hate going to work everyday even if I make alot of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
My Dad wanted me to become an engineer, but I chose business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MatHildebrand MatHildebrand
You really shouldn't fall into parental pressure, it's a shame when teenagers with real potential in one field get pushed into another. Personally I enjoy problem solving, mathematics, and physics. Therefore I'm going to give engineering a shot! If it doesn't work out, well I'll try something else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolcostco lolcostco
My parents wanted me to be their little doctor-daughter. I said no. I wanna work with computers when I grow up. I wanna be a programmer or something. I've applied for Computer Engineer, but they still want me to be their little doctor.
They think that as a female, I'm at a disadvantage in the industry and I should just stick to biology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smandair smandair
Funnily enough, my parents would've preferred me not going into Engineering. I chose it because I like math and physics and there's not much else I enjoy.

If you go into something you hate, you're not going to do well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I think this topic is very relevant especially for 2nd generation kids from humble immigrant families.

To the OP, I'm in a similar situation, my dad really wanted me to do computer science or something technical - I think it's a little bias though because he never had the language/personality skills to pursue something else. I have solid grades and definitely have the abilities to do and excel in things like compsci/engineering but really don't have the passion.

I feel guilty every time I talk to him about these things though, I feel that I kind of have let him down. I still suggest to pursue your own heart though, you may fail and your parents may be right, but at least it was of your own decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
My dad was an engineer, my grandpa was an engineer, two of my uncles got university degrees in engineering, its in my blood. Honestly its the only thing I can see myself doing for the rest of my life, I love solving problems and using math in ways other people wouldnt, to solve the same problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
Also I was born in ukraine and just moved here when I was 4 so my parents were pretty gung ho about going into a math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Well, I've always spent too much time on the computer... My dad would always tell me it was a waste of time... But now I'm planning to go into CS. :P
My parents didn't pressure me into liking math or engineering. My dad's an engineer, but he never tried to get me into it - probably cause I'm a girl. Too bad, cause I think I would have enjoyed it. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Love programming and Software Design.
At first i did it because i had a passion for it, and soon enough money came along with it. I now have my own successful business making me money and im only 17 :D
Have a look @ http://kalinor.com
Im also working on a project to contribute to my school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote
At first i did it because i had a passion for it, and soon enough money came along with it. I now have my own successful business making me money and im only 17 :D

That's awesome. :o
Is it a one man thing? Or did you make the website and graphics too? And if you don't mind me asking, how much have you made from it?
+ How much time have you spent on it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@Stranger wrote

@iRamie wrote

Is it a one man thing? Or did you make the website and graphics too? And if you don't mind me asking, how much have you made from it?

Spend around 2 hours a day on it MAX. And on the weekends i spend a few hours and do some updates for players.
I make > $2k/month but i'm not going to state the exact amount, maybe you can find out from my prices or something LOL.
But over 100000 REAL accounts have been created and i have like 2000 daily players.
I made the graphics for it too, some of them were ripped from the game called "Runescape", which is somewhat illegal, but they let me go ;)

But im evolving it to becoming my own game and with a bit more advertising i can probably turn this into a company.
I just hate the fact that i spend time and learn stuff from it but universities don't get to see this :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@iRamie wrote

@Stranger wrote

@iRamie wrote

Spend around 2 hours a day on it MAX. And on the weekends i spend a few hours and do some updates for players.
I make > $2k/month but i'm not going to state the exact amount, maybe you can find out from my prices or something LOL.
But over 100000 REAL accounts have been created and i have like 2000 daily players.
I made the graphics for it too, some of them were ripped from the game called "Runescape", which is somewhat illegal, but they let me go ;)

But im evolving it to becoming my own game and with a bit more advertising i can probably turn this into a company.
I just hate the fact that i spend time and learn stuff from it but universities don't get to see this :(

ongratulations on your success thus far.

Universities will at least hear of it, as long as you include it in your supplementary application. Tell them to check it out. You can at least explain that you get x amount of visitors and make x dollars, etc. And talk about the system (I don't know much about that kind of stuff, but throw in computer-words)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I want to be a doctor, but my dad wants me to get to medical school through an engineering program, which seems like an unnecessarily hard task for me. But honestly, I like math and I enjoy physics and I think I'm pretty good at both of them...so I guess I will try to go into engineering for undergrad. If I can't get the marks, I'll just transfer out to an easier program. My parents are very lenient in that way :)
My mom just wants me to be a pharmacist like her, in fact she'd rather me be a pharmacist rather than a doctor because she thinks I won't have time for a family.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
My parents are both lawyers, so the pressure to go into engineering didn't really exist in my household. I just decided upon it myself based on my interest in math and science.

I feel sorry for people who are being forced into a program by parental pressure. It's hard to be happy doing something that has been chosen for you with no regard for what you want...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote

@Stranger wrote

@iRamie wrote

Wow, congrats. That's amazing. :colors: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Engineering is merely a stepping stone to a Business degree and a management position.

BUSINESS!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of premachb premachb
I'm pretty sure you've all heard this enough, but it's true.

If you don't like what your going into, DON'T DO IT. Seriously if you don't like where you going to end up your just gonna hate your career, and that's >30 years of your life right there.

Personally, I love all aspects of computer science, I like analyzing things and I like applying math to things, although I'm not amazing at math (90 in Adv Func, 83 in Calc), I know if I practice I'll get better, and that goes out to everyone, just because your not good at math, but you like engineering, don't be discouraged, you can get better at it.

A great quote by Will Smith (which I live by every day),

“The separation of talent and skill is one of the greatest misunderstood concepts for people who are trying to excel, who have dreams, who want to do things. Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@garyluk wrote
If he has a job in the engineering field / mathematics field (lolwut), ask him to compare his own salary to your family doctor's. Then he can make judgements like that

My dad's degree is in mechanical engineering. He is a consultant and makes more than doctors so he can make judgements. He thinks, since I'm a girl, I won't be able to have a family as a doctor which is pathetic because if I take over his company I'll be flying all over the world and away from my family. Anyways, its good to hear that u are going into it because you like math!

Great job to the guy or girl that created the game site. Very good job!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Just read that off a coaster in my house...

It even deals with proportionality, for all y'all math ppl out thar. :batman:

quality of life ∝ commitment to excellence
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Well my parents really never told me, until I was in grade 11 (still am) and it was (sort of) late to go back and choose the pre-requisites.

Dad has friends with sons that have graduated, currently studying, etc. software and comp. engineering..

Mom is just like, "do medical"

However, i wanna do Business, particularly because I like working with numbers (I am good at math) and like nothing more than working with money. It is really a task to test you, rather than something like engineering where you pretty much gotta be a bookworm for 4 years then get hired at a company to be at the same position as a hundred other engineers..and medical, I really dislike science (didn't even take one, should have taken physics though), but I can not see myself doing it, ESPECIALLY FOR THE NEXT 10-15 years!!

However, I am applying to computer science...but my main goal is Business ;) I hope that I get into my desired programs next year and enjoy what I do!

I wish you all the best of luck!!!! Do something you enjoy, don't take someone else's word for it to heart - but be good at it at the same time!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
It only seems that I'm being influenced by parental pressure, but its more so my own lack of disinterest towards the subjects. I'm still on the line as to what I'm aiming to study (grade 11), but I will probably try for a few engineering programs amongst a variety of others things. Was good at math when I was younger (95+), but I presume it was mostly due to enforced studying by my parents. I'm not horrible now, but I do wish I was better (~90). Anyway, after reading this thread it seems like a blessing that although I am constantly being influenced by my parents' opinion, they do give me the liberty of making my own decisions, and if I don't choose the career they want to see me in, they won't be exactly disappointed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
It only seems that I'm being influenced by parental pressure, but its more so my own lack of disinterest towards the subjects. I'm still on the line as to what I'm aiming to study (grade 11), but I will probably try for a few engineering programs amongst a variety of others things. Was good at math when I was younger (95+), but I presume it was mostly due to enforced studying by my parents. I'm not horrible now, but I do wish I was better (~90). Anyway, after reading this thread it seems like a blessing that although I am constantly being influenced by my parents' opinion, they do give me the liberty of making my own decisions, and if I don't choose the career they want to see me in, they won't be exactly disappointed.

Whatever I do my parents won't be disappointed, they've stated that a million times. But the thing is you'll feel like you've disappointed them. So, you feel like you are a disappointment in their eyes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I guess disappoint wasn't the right word. My parents are more like "I honestly don't care what you want to do, as long as you can take care of yourself after you're done with school, but I'd suggest engineering because its a solid and practical choice." I'm actually more interested in architecture because I've been doing art classes for over ten years and I really like it. Both my parents are in the business sector so they aren't exactly pressuring me to "be like them," in fact, they're actually pushing me away from business because they don't think I'm well suited, and I agree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0