yconic - Parenting Styles
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Parenting Styles

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/family-and-relationships/confessions-of-a-tiger-mom-why-chinese-parenting-is-best/article1864813/

How strict are your parents?

Mine are very strict, and I think that it has helped me in developing a strong work ethic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Mine were strict in my younger years, but by 12 or 13 they realized I was taking care of myself and really got involved in professional, organized activities so they could relax.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Hmmm..
I think I can speak for a lot of Asian people.. my parents are pretty strict, but only with certain things..
Grades being one of them, obviously. They always expect me to get the highest grades, which is impossible half the time.. so I get hell for that.
But they're pretty relaxed about everything else; I've never been grounded, I don't have a curfew, they don't restrict who I am and am not allowed to hang out with..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
My parents were not strict at all, and they didn't really believe in punishment (my brother and I were never once grounded). They just let us do our own thing. I really couldn't imagine parents who'd be less strict than mine. They never even forced us to eat our vegetables. And while you'd think we'd turn out being real ruffians, we're actually quite the opposite. Because we weren't raised within a rigid framework, I think we all turned out very open-minded and very capable of making our own decisions. And we're certainly not living a life of lies. My sister is a bartender, and she loves it. Maybe if my parents had pushed her harder, she'd have been a nurse, but she chose not to become a nurse because she didn't think she'd like it. My parents would rather have their children happy than be able to tell a stranger that their daughter is a nurse and their sons are both doctors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
They were strict about some things (ie. boys/dating) but not that strict about others. I never had a curfew, don't remember them ever telling me I couldn't go to a party/event, etc. Yes we had to eat healthy (pretty happy about that or I'd probably be obese right now if they had let me eat whatever I wanted as a kid), but they were always of the "do your best in school and that's enough" variety of parents. Luckily for them, I put enough pressure on myself academically for 2 sets of parents probably (knew I wanted to be a vet since I was 8 and knew I would need great marks for it). They've supported my decision to become a vet even though lots of my other family members/peers think I am wasting my potential by not becoming a doctor. My sister is less inclined academically (80s-low 90s student) and they still praise her when she gets an 85 in bio (science is not her forte, she's going into business).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of oxsunshine oxsunshine
I don't believe excellence or strong work ethics comes from parents being strict. Encouragement, care and support are very important in a person's success. A strong connection wih parents not always but in many cases allows a student to excel and feel a little less pressure. Also academic success relies a lot on a person themselves, how they choose to make their decisions, the courses they choose to take, the events they choose to take part of. Our parents are here to guide us with their experiences and knowledge so we can become more insightful in what we want to dow ith our future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@ARMY101 wrote
Mine were strict in my younger years, but by 12 or 13 they realized I was taking care of myself and really got involved in professional, organized activities so they could relax.

Same here. My parents were strict until I turned 13 and now they let me do whatever I want. I turned out okay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
My parents are only strict about school and academics. They aren't strict about curfews and such because they know I'm responsible enough to handle my self. My dad is very strict about school. Over the years I have seen it USELESS, I hate when parents yell at you about things you already KNOW and claim that you will thank the for it in the future. I owe everything to my parents, but not my academics, my fathers lectures are more bad than good, freaking stressful. They want me to get into university more than I do..holy cow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
My parents are only strict about school and academics. They aren't strict about curfews and such because they know I'm responsible enough to handle my self. My dad is very strict about school. Over the years I have seen it USELESS, I hate when parents yell at you about things you already KNOW and claim that you will thank the for it in the future. I owe everything to my parents, but not my academics, my fathers lectures are more bad than good, freaking stressful. They want me to get into university more than I do..holy cow.

My parents are the opposite. I don't think I've ever been told to do my homework/study and I still get marks in the mid-90s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VH VH
Being first gen canadian, meaning my parents weren't born here and immigrated here when they were adults, makes the gap between my perspective and theirs that much wider. I guess the fact that they're asian also contributes to the strict rules they make. On the positive side, i have good morals and a strong work ethic, but fun only comes in small glimpses and my attempts to push their boundaries have made me "rebellious" in their minds. So basically, it sucks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leahquin leahquin
My parents have very high expectations and are very protective. I live in a small town and I don't have a curfew because I'm not really allowed to go out much, especially out of town. They don't care that I don't do my homework because I still get high marks, so really, they care about the end results of everything, not what happens in between.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
My parents are REALLY strict, but I know a friend of mine's parents who let him drive in a freakin high way. He's 15.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adriennedunbar adriennedunbar
I only live with my mom... She was strict until we talked about it. She wanted me to learn from her mistakes but I convinced her that I have to learn from my own mistakes. I asked for a little more freedom in highschool so when I'm in post secondary I know how to act with freedom.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherryjcp cherryjcp
very strict... its because of where my parents come from sometimes being a girl i break down under all that pressure... i dont understand i know they really wants best but did they realize maybe if that is good for me? i dont know i just learnt to suck it up but inside i have suffered so much stress i think i might explode!!!! plus im a girl so boyfriends? heading out late? dont even think about it they have to like text and call every hour to know where i am
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kellsey kellsey
my parents were strict about certain things like dating and we didnt really get along but after we talked about everything we started to get along. my mom is like my best friend
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MoyenneFleur MoyenneFleur
My parents are considered strict, but they actually let me do what I want as long as I`m happy (and it is morally right)

before they were overly protective, but when I started hitting my teens and going out whenever I wanted to they had to learn to let go.

Now we all get along fine :cheese: (In fact, I learnt a lot from them but I also learnt they`re not perfect, neither am I haha)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yubyub93 yubyub93
My parents are REALLY strict. Especially my mom who wants to choose my friends for me. In my younger years, I listened, but now, I realize that she really shouldn't have a say in who I choose to be friends with. It doesn't affect her, it affects me. Perhaps it is because she is over-protective, but believe me, it just makes me want to rebel more. I had to break up with a boy friend TWICE out of my THREE times. One of them being a boy she absolutely adored, found out I was dating him, started hating him. -_- ohhhhhhhh goddddddddd.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg
My parents aren't that strict. My dad is never around, and my mom just lets me do whatever I want as long as I'm happy. In terms of academics, they don't even care enough to check my report cards. But I still do my best in school. I want to make my mom proud.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rabbit404 rabbit404
My mom can be a bit anxious, but I love both her and my dad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0