yconic - PARENTS FORCE me to go to MATH CA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

PARENTS FORCE me to go to MATH CA

A photo of JaniceTang JaniceTang
First off, why don't you want to go to Math/CA?

I think I may be able to help you better if you answer that :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
49 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
First off, why don't you want to go to Math/CA?

I think I may be able to help you better if you answer that :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
Are you sure you can't handle it? I heard, on another thread, that the workload isn't that bad for Math/CA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@JaniceTang wrote
I dont want to because I honestly feel that I'd do very horrible in it! I'm getting below a 90 in Calc and I try very hard, so it makes sense that I wouldnt do amazing in it. Also, it's too hard. I spoke to current students and faculty and they say that PA and Math CA students are treated fairly in terms of employment.
Basically, I just dont think I can handle it coz i dont think i'm that smart.

I know if it was my parents, they would likely want to see numbers. They would be difficult to get.

It's kind of hard to say since I don't know your parents, or what exactly you have explained to them so far, but I would inform them that you do not feel that you will do well in the math courses, and would really struggle. You not only would be unhappy, but you would have less time to focus on extra curricular activities and volunteering, less time to socialize with friends, less time to attend networking events, and would end up with a lower average. The lower average could result in you not getting into the MAcc program, which is what exempts you from the two CA exams, and provides you with the best UFE prep (not to mention a Masters degree). You could go into the diploma program to get your credit-hours, but who wants to go into a diploma program when you could go into the prestigious Master's program?

You could also try e-mailing Patty Mah or someone and ask for them to explain how you could show your parents that AFM is right for you. Patty Mah is busy right now, but I'm sure she'd be glad to help.

Also, did you get a Fellowship call?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
getting into math/CA is pretty impressive tho...doesnt the program only accept like 50 people?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loveshackles loveshackles

@Jack555 wrote
getting into math/CA is pretty impressive tho...doesnt the program only accept like 50 people?

Yes, but it's also hard as screw to keep your average up in. Math/CA will always have the people that get straight 90s, but most in that program have to work hard to excel in their linear algebra, computer science, and calculus courses. Most of my Math/CA friends say words along the lines of "yayyyy I passed linear algebra" or "phew at least I didn't fail calc!"

I'm not too math-oriented myself, so I never even applied for Math/CA, but if you have the choice between it and AFM-PA, and are unsure of your ability in math, go into AFM-PA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I'm not being forced but there's definitely a lot of pressure. Asian parents always like the program that is the hardest to get into :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

whoever is getting forced to go to any program should grow a pair of balls
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17

@bshanesky wrote
whoever is getting forced to go to any program should grow a pair of balls

i think OP is a girl lol. If you enjoy math AND if your good go math/ca, if not afmpa for sure..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Wait, are business student and janice tang the same person?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
gosh is everyone that got in to math/ca asian?
damn..

how did you guys get in with less than 90s in math...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@JaniceTang wrote
to thecookiemonster: what the heck, we're not the same person. that person was "pretending" to be me for some reason, I think he/she was mocking me and making a joke or something :S

thats so weird

Sorry :)

And now their post is deleted... :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48

@JaniceTang wrote
Yeah I did, and I just dont think it's fair that parents force their children to go into something they wish not to go into. I think that's very unethical, and it's my future not theirs, so shouldnt I get a say in it.

No body I know has parents who force them to go into something. I'm totally ok with them letting me to go into AFM-PA and NOT paying tuition, but they say I have to go there.
they're not very nice

Wow that's rough...I'm fortunate that my parents want me to do whatever makes me happy because like you said, it's our future not our parents.

Based on what you said, my advice to you is go into AFM-PA even if your parents say no. That may seem irrational but your parents are doing the same by forcing you into something you don't want to do. Your parents definitely mean well by trying to force you into the program but at the end of the day it's what you feel is right.

They may say something along the lines of 'why did you apply if you don't want to go', but in actuality, a lot of people apply to places that aren't their first choice.

In some cultures (not saying yours but I know in my friend's), status means a lot. Getting into the most competitive program is something my friend's parents tend to flaunt around even though he's not happy. It's honestly extremely immature.

Good luck! Lets us know how it goes:)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
honestly if i were you, i would quietly decline math/CA on OUAC and then have no choice but to go to AFM-PA. i would not put myself through 4 years of impossible math if i didnt like it.

or get someone that works at waterloo to speak to your parents over the phone and explain that employers treat math/ca and afm the same (if that is the case)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of whatchusaying whatchusaying
just tell them you're going to get kicked out because your marks will be too low if you take math/ca :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JaniceTang wrote
thanks for the suggestions, but I cannot secretly decline cuz I dunno, if I did without telling em, more extremely bad things might happen to me LOL.
I need advice: what can I do to MAKE them not force me to go into there? I honestly tried very hard talking to them but they're NOT listening at all.

what would YOU do?

Tell them that if they can't accept your decision they should deal with you going into a program that your heart and mind isn't fully invested in, and so the results will not be as good as if you went into AFM-PA. If they don't understand this then your parents are more backwards than the early cavemen. Being able to discern what program will allow you to flourish is part of being human, and if your parents want to take that away from you that's pretty sad. Talk, argue, shout. Do whatever it takes if you think you're making the right choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Go on OUAC and decline the Math/CA offer and then accept the AMFPA offer. Simple. The only thing you have to worry about is the aftermath that will last for a few weeks or so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@i300 wrote
Go on OUAC and decline the Math/CA offer and then accept the AMFPA offer. Simple. The only thing you have to worry about is the aftermath that will last for a few weeks or so.

lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@i300 wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0