yconic - Parents' Income Information
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Parents' Income Information

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My dad works overseas so on his tax return form, it says $0. My mom is unemployed so on her tax return form, it says $0. Do I put $0 for both of them when filling out OSAP?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I haven't filled out OSAP yet, but on the bursary applications it said to put whatever it says on "line ___", which would in fact be $0.

But then it asked "If your parents' income is lower than $6,000 please explain how you are able to live day-to-day" or something along the lines of that.

That's where you could put it.

Does OSAP say something similar?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh I don't know. I was just doing the OSAP estimator and it asked me the same question so I was curious what to do when the real situation presented itself.

In any case, do you think they'll frown upon not mentioning my dad working overseas, instead saying I can live day to day normally through my grandmom's old age pension?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Daruki35 wrote
Oh I don't know. I was just doing the OSAP estimator and it asked me the same question so I was curious what to do when the real situation presented itself.

In any case, do you think they'll frown upon not mentioning my dad working overseas, instead saying I can live day to day normally through my grandmom's old age pension?

That could be under the "Terms of Service" or w/e they call it, you know the big long legal things people never read. I don't know what they would do if they found out- you'd be lucky if all they did was refuse to give you any more money, it could be worse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay, haha. My overall estimation was at nearly $9,000 if I put in my dad made $20,000 a year and my mom zero.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of finance2 finance2
On the parental section there is a part for taxable income and another part for non taxable income. Any income that is on a Canadian income tax would go under ' taxable'. Any money made elsewhere - such as your dad's - would go under the non taxable section.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
The first line of the OSAP definition of Gross Income is below. I think that pretty well sums it up. Not reporting it on your application is fraud.

"You must provide all taxable and non-taxable income from all sources, world-wide ... "

https://osap.gov.on.ca//dc/TCONT003106
Was this helpful? Yes 0