yconic - parents..
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

parents..

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
My parents are friken anooying. Do your parents give you the uni talk? Like every topic twists and finds its way to school. Tired of this s##t!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
36 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
My parents pretty much let me handle everything to do with school decisions/applications, they know I've got everything sorted out. They do ask how I'm doing in school, when I'm submitting my applications, if I've applied for scholarships etc though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I could have spent the last five and a half years not actually at university and my parents would never have known.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I could have spent the last five and a half years not actually at university and my parents would never have known.

LOL. That sounds funny.

My parents annoy me constantly with "ARE YOU GOING TO UOFT?!" and the "YOU BETTER NOT LEAVE US BECAUSE THE WORLD IS DANGEROUS". That was last year actually. This year I've been avoiding the university talk. My dad thinks I'm only applying to UofT. My mom thinks I'm only applying to Waterloo and UofT. I'm too afraid to tell them of my final choices. =( If I do go to UofT, they think I'm going to stay home but I might find an apartment elsewhere with a friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@leviaidan wrote

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

LOL. That sounds funny.

My parents annoy me constantly with "ARE YOU GOING TO UOFT?!" and the "YOU BETTER NOT LEAVE US BECAUSE THE WORLD IS DANGEROUS". That was last year actually. This year I've been avoiding the university talk. My dad thinks I'm only applying to UofT. My mom thinks I'm only applying to Waterloo and UofT. I'm too afraid to tell them of my final choices. =( If I do go to UofT, they think I'm going to stay home but I might find an apartment elsewhere with a friend.

U of T is a fantastic school. I guess the upside to doing the apartment share would be that you could easily go home if you run out of something or need help :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
My parents don't really care. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
Meh, as long as I'm happy, they're happy :) They do want me to work hard though (of course).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My parents ask me about school but I talk about it more than they do. I'm the one who talks about uni the most out of my group of friends. I do talk about other things other than school, but uni is always on my mind. What can I say, I'm excited. Especially considering I'm from a small town, I want to be in a big city already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
My parents are friken anooying. Do your parents give you the uni talk? Like every topic twists and finds its way to school. Tired of this s##t!

I don't know about your parents' speeches, but you should really go to university soon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TallWaffle TallWaffle
Hah, my parents keep on telling me to stay home, stay in Toronto.
They don't know that I've already applied to a few that are outside of Toronto.. like Waterloo.. >_>
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TallWaffle wrote
Hah, my parents keep on telling me to stay home, stay in Toronto.
They don't know that I've already applied to a few that are outside of Toronto.. like Waterloo.. >_>

Rebel :rambo: :viking: :pirat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
My borther actually keeps encouraging me to go to York because I won't have to live on rez, but when I say I'd rather go to Brock, he accuses me of "Trying to be indapendant." by go to a school where I would have to live on rez.....its annoying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joannalailai joannalailai
Sometimes my parents think they're helping me by constantly reminding me, but it doesn't actually help! Haha you just have to be patient and listen or at least pretend to listen! Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan

@gassergasser wrote
My borther actually keeps encouraging me to go to York because I won't have to live on rez, but when I say I'd rather go to Brock, he accuses me of "Trying to be indapendant." by go to a school where I would have to live on rez.....its annoying.

I get that except it's my parents and they want me to go to UofT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg
My parents don't even care, and they're Asian!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Blargg wrote

Troll.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jluu19 jluu19

@Blargg wrote

I expected the opposite there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ami1471 Ami1471
My mom's really supportive, which beats my dad, but sometimes I could do without the reminders. School and activities bring enough stress that I don't always want next year to be a constant on my mind. It just stresses me out more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
No, they don't bother me about it at all. They know that I'll take care of it, and if they try to play too large of a role in my life, they will be playing no role in it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thanan1 thanan1
My parents are very supportive, but they are very forceful when it comes for grades. I wish it was easier to get 95% +.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annamaria annamaria
Best advice i can give... tell them enough to make them feel like they are involved but at the end of the day your parents dont know you they way YOU know you...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Larissa Larissa
My parents have supported me all the way and what ever the school i want to go to they will be happy for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AM AM
My dad is lying to me and saying that him and my mom didn't save enough money for me to go away to school, so I'll have to live at home and walk to the college five minutes from my house. Which is BS.

Basically my dad doesn't want me going away, and my mom doesn't either, but she will be easier to win over than my dad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Funny, my Mother has always stressed all this school sh*t to me and currently my classes are 1 1/2 hour away and we're having a fight over whether I should rent a room nearby or waste time on both ends driving me back and forth and trying to face books for 12 hours in a row nonstop without rest.

Of course she opts for the latter and is too stubborn to budge.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sciencegeek sciencegeek
If I went to UFT, I would save thousands of dollars on living/food expenses becuase I would only need to take one bus to/from school. However, I need a break from m family. I love them to death but I need my own space. I want to go to McMasters and live offcampus with some freinds. I have a feeling this wont go over well with my parents...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kugui Kugui
Whenever it comes up, my parents usually ask why I don't go to McMaster since it's so close to me, and I have to explain that it doesn't have the program I want, again xd. And they're scared of me boarding in Toronto XD. But I know they'll be happy if I get into the school I want, even though it's a bit farther away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0