yconic - Part Time Job During Gr 12 Year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Part Time Job During Gr 12 Year?

A photo of coldplay coldplay
I think it's a smart idea to at least try. I took full IB and all of my classes were fairly difficult, no spares or options for me. I worked a retail job while doing quite a few ECs (planning a huge volleyball tournament, planning grad, rugby team, handball team, etc.). It did eventually become too stressful and I took a month off of my job, but had been working there a while so they didn't mind. My grades did NOT suffer as a result, likely because I took the time off when I needed it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I think it's a smart idea to at least try. I took full IB and all of my classes were fairly difficult, no spares or options for me. I worked a retail job while doing quite a few ECs (planning a huge volleyball tournament, planning grad, rugby team, handball team, etc.). It did eventually become too stressful and I took a month off of my job, but had been working there a while so they didn't mind. My grades did NOT suffer as a result, likely because I took the time off when I needed it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
*Sigh* This question has been posted plenty of times. Yes, you should have some sort of job, even if it means you're flipping burgers or making coffees on the weekends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I suggest you give it a try and keep the job for the month of September. However, if after a month you find it interfering with your school work, you might want to quit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdinunzio kdinunzio
Most employers, mine at least, note the importance of school in comparison to work. My boss is very lenient with letting me have certain days off every week and plenty of time off for exams. I still usually work around 20 hours a week on these conditions(with exception of exam weeks of course) I think it's definitley a good idea if you can handle both, especially if you have a boss who will work with you and around a school schedule which most will and expect to when hiring a student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bizgirl bizgirl
Yes, it's good to have a part-time job during you're last year to not only save-up money for school but it allows you to have more independence from your parents by not having to ask them to buy you things you want. You also gain valuable skills in the process as well as work experience. I actually recently got a job at McD's and I prepared my self by having spares for school that way I don't have to worry about not having enough time to do homework.
Was this helpful? Yes 0