yconic - Part time job vs. Work/study program
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Part time job vs. Work/study program

A photo of kaytotz kaytotz
As the title implies I am questioning whether to keep my current part time job during first year or quit to enter the work/study program.

PROS
Part time job
- more money
- may look better on resume? (If I stay during the school year then I will have worked there for a year and a half =stability)
- never have to work late (mall closes at 9pm)

Work/study
- on campus
- merges better with school schedule
- better job prospects/easier

CONS
part time job
- further away (30 mins by bus)
- have to work 20+ hours
- no relevant skills (it's just cashiering lol)

work/study
- salary cap (I think it's $1000/term)
- difficult to land jobs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've tried both. Granted, this wasn't at Waterloo, and this is limited to my own experience. For what it's worth, I think that the work-study program, if you qualify for it, makes it incredibly easy for anyone with a bit of job experience to get hired, and probably easier for anyone without to get hired too. It's especially useful if you want experience in a career or academic field that you want to enter after graduation, since a lot of departments have openings reserved for work-study students. The salary is lower than what part-time jobs typically offer, but I had such a fun time and flexible hours with my work-study job that I didn't mind working for minimum wage at all. (Plus, I got an amazing reference letter from my work-study employer afterward, which I'm pretty sure helped me land a spot in my first choice for grad school.)

I don't see how a part-time job will look better on a resume than a work-study job. Both are considered work experience. In fact, if your work-study job is more relevant to your field of study, it may even look better than a part-time job.

If you can find a way to do both, I highly recommend it. Best of luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Interesting input, Spengler. I know that a work-study position (if I can get a more academic oriented position) will look better, but I'm thinking mostly when I apply to co-op I might look unstable since I have switched jobs quite frequently prior to my current job. I would have to quit my present job, then do work/study, then a summer job, then work/study again until first co-op term.

And I definitely don't see doing both, especially for first year at least. Thanks again for the response!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SparklingBG SparklingBG
As someone who has done both at the same time, I would say they are both great experiences but PERSONALLY for myself, the work-study helped me more in the sense that i was able to find out about other positions oncampus with the position I already had,
2. it was easier for me to get connected with both students as well as staff on campus,
3. when I tried to apply to other jobs both on campus, I could always relate it back to my work-study position = more likely to get hired for them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@kaytotz wrote
I know that a work-study position (if I can get a more academic oriented position) will look better, but I'm thinking mostly when I apply to co-op I might look unstable since I have switched jobs quite frequently prior to my current job. I would have to quit my present job, then do work/study, then a summer job, then work/study again until first co-op term.

Personally, I don't think you should worry about appearing "unstable" on your resume at this point in your life. Certainly, I've never had that problem with my resume (I've job hopped quite a bit, but also kept at a couple jobs because they keep hiring me back). In fact, I would recommend you branch out a bit and develop as many skills as you can, or at least the ones that will benefit you in terms of getting a good co-op placement. In my experience, the more varied job experiences you have, the more you have to talk about when you market yourself to an employer during an interview.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, it turns out that I am able to completely cover my first year so I probably won't be eligible for the work/study program anyway ha

But thanks for the responses! I think I'm ultimately going to stick with my current job for at least the first semester than do varied on-campus jobs like residence/special events tour guides, etc and volunteering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
Keep in mind, not all student jobs at universities are work-study. A job like working at the library is often not considered work-study, so consider looking/applying for those jobs :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kseguin kseguin
I know I liked doing the work study program mainly because it was on campus and it worked with my schedule....like I had to walk 30 seconds to the main building of my school because my campus is extremely small...the only thing I didn`t like was the fact that there was 1000$ cap on each semester (because obviously as a student I need more money a semester than 1000$ to survive)....I can`t say about a part time job during university because I haven`t had one
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted