yconic - Part time student?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Part time student?

A photo of Haru Haru
I have 3 courses this semester, but I'm thinking of dropping one, which means i'll be a "part time student". I'm not quite sure what this means. All i know is that I will have a lighter course load.

What i'm wondering is whether universities will care if i'm part time and whether this will have any effect on getting accepted? will it show up on my transcript? etc.

Or..maybe it all doesn't even matter!! :S i don't quite know
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
There are a lot of disadvantages of becoming a "part time student." A school is paid for every fulltime student they have - meaning if you become a part time one, the school no longer gets paid for you.

What this means is, you'll lose access to a lot of things like being able to attend certain school events, write certain contests and etc. I'm not sure of the other cons but I'm sure it could affect things like OSAP or etc.

However with all that being said, I don't think it will affect your University acceptances at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I didn't know it was possible to be a part time student in high school. It may affect any financial aid/scholarships you were planning on applying to/receiving. I'm pretty sure it would show up on your transcript. Whether or not it affects acceptances will probably depend on the program/admissions committee..some may not care, some may think you won't be able to handle a university courseload. I would suggest explaining any circumstances leading you to become a part time student if they allow you to in a supplementary form or something. Also, at some universities, part time students pick courses last (full time students get first choice).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@Haru wrote
I have 3 courses this semester, but I'm thinking of dropping one, which means i'll be a "part time student". I'm not quite sure what this means. All i know is that I will have a lighter course load.

What i'm wondering is whether universities will care if i'm part time and whether this will have any effect on getting accepted? will it show up on my transcript? etc.

Or..maybe it all doesn't even matter!! :S i don't quite know

I'm not sure that it matters at all for acceptances. One of my friends is a part-time student (in their 5th year) but was also one for a semester last year (in gr. 12). Aside from school funding I don't think it matters - though obviously you still need to have the credits to graduate. I myself was a part-time student for first semester and it didn't mess anything up with my Laurier acceptance (though I have already graduated)

On the funding thing, they guidance office may or may not let you drop to 2 courses because of this. I have heard of some people being unable to have only two courses.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
i guess it shouldn't be a problem since I have more than enough credits to graduate since last semester. THanks for the help guys! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Just ask your guidance counselleur.
Was this helpful? Yes 0