yconic - Persuade my parents to allow me to go Queens
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Persuade my parents to allow me to go Queens

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey Guys.

So I just went to the Queens campus with my family, and my parents are still not convinced that it is a great campus with a great commerce program.

I want you guys to write well thoughtout detailed posts so my parents can see that Queens is one of the best for Commerce.

They believe that if you work hard at any University, you can still get a successful job at any firm.

Anyways please post all info on why queens commerce is one of the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of caesar caesar
Queen's Commerce is not the best. There is no "best" business school.

If you work hard, you'll be successful in whatever program you come out of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kalbii Kalbii
Just grow a pair and accept your queen's offer and reject everything else. Problem solved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
tell them it's a one-time opportunity
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
^You need to learn how to read because he simply stated that QC is ONE of the best, which is true in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Bossofbosses wrote
^You need to learn how to read because he simply stated that QC is ONE of the best, which is true in Canada.

He said both (one of the best and the best)

iKam, there is plenty of praise for QC on this forum. Compile it all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caesar caesar

@Bossofbosses wrote

@iKam22 wrote
Anyways please post all info on why queens commerce is the best.

Ahem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I read enough but I wanted everyones general opinion in one thread so its easier to track.

And seriously, when someone asks for help dont go "grow a pair" or give irrelevant info.

Its a forum where we help each other and answer questions, not pretend were funny and cool and post just to raise our post count.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@iKam22 wrote

They believe that if you work hard at any University, you can still get a successful job at any firm.

i would say this is actually true.

The best way is to let ur parents do THEIR research!! they wont believe it until THEY know it is one of the best program in the country.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kalbii Kalbii
Irrelevant lol. Have fun getting your parents dictating your life. Seriously, its about time to start making your own decisions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I already know Im going to queens, i just want them to feel comfortable with me going.

You guys are so negative. like gtfo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Don't worry about it buddy. I've had parents with a similar mentality like that. I love them to death and they are extremely supportive, but stubborn. But after you've made your choice, they will slowly learn to accept it, and especially with you away from them for such extended periods of time, they will have ALOT of time to think about your decision and cherish the moments you have back at home with them.

I found once I left, not only did I grow, but my parents grew as well and we have a much stronger bond than our bond that was already very strong before.

So go with your gut and, I know it's cheezy, but your heart too and go to where you want to go. They're your parents, and deep down they care for you, and deep down, respect your decision. Just make take some time for you to realize that and for them to admit it....

And as for finances, life's short... if you're capable of getting in Queen's, no matter where you go, as long as you keep your mentality, you can be successful. So an extra 80k (plus interest if you need a loan) over 80 more years is minute to the potential and opportunities you can get from going to Queen's and experiencing life outside of home. You hopefully only go through undergraduate once, so if you don't take the chances to leave home, live in rez, be responsible for yourself at such a young age, etc. you never will. ONE GOAL IN LIFE = take as many positive experiences as you can.

GOOD LUCK :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
I think you have bigger problems. You should be able to convince your parents better than some stranger on the internet. If you cant make a solid argument to convince your parents what you think is best FOR YOU, then you aren't really showing that you know that queens is the best and is a perfect fit for you. If my kid came up to me and tried to convince me that they though uni x was the best for them but could come up with the reasonable reason on their own,i would second guess them as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Queen's Commerce will give you the opportunities that you won't find in Ottawa/Carleton. They have more conferences, recruiters and networking opportunities than those schools, and Queen's will make your job hunting process a lot easier. Show them the Queen's annual report and show them the Queen's School of Business rankings. Though rankings shouldn't be the only basis for choosing your school, it shows that the school is at least recognized for their work. Besides, rankings always work on my parents.

http://business.queensu.ca/ConversionDocs/commerce_annual_report.pdf
http://business.queensu.ca/news/school_highlights.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Gok_02FWc
Was this helpful? Yes 0