yconic - Pet Peeves & Likes About Elementary School Teachers
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Pet Peeves & Likes About Elementary School Teachers

A photo of brady23 brady23
Some of my pet peeves:

- A Social Science major teaching grade 8 math...do you seriously want me to explain why (+4)-(-3)= 7?

- When they put random marks on your report card. Half the time we didn't even finish the math course and I would get a random A- for Data with some bs comment about graphing. We didn't do any graphing! My french teacher even told me she gave everyone a 76 in the Oral strand of French because she didn't have any marks for us!

If I was a parent and I found out they did that, I would never let them live it down.

- I had a grade 8 science teacher who based 100% of my mark on two projects: a building project & a science fair project. She never taught anything and wasted three months of learning on a science fair and a building project. Seriously? I want to go back to her and be like HA look at my science marks now (she gave me a 75).

My parents were going to talk to her, but she got pregnant and the interview never happened. And this one kid who she gave an 82 based on the two project marks had his parents come in, and she just said "Oh I made a mistake, it should be a 90" just to avoid confrontation about her horrible teaching.

- History and english teachers who purposely did not give anything higher than a 3+, and never gave level 4s.

- teachers who gave us tests, but never marked them (coughscienceteachercough)

- teachers who made us enter the building like we were in jail - no talking allowed.

- teachers who punished the whole class for something one person did.

The fact that I was forced to take Music, Art, Drama, History, and Geography when I knew I would never do them in my life if I had a choice.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
You're really going to complain about your grade 8 marks? Don't you have anything better to do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
You're really going to complain about your grade 8 marks? Don't you have anything better to do?

What? Did you see the rest of the list, that was only like two points out of eight ? I'm not complaining about my marks - I'm complaining about the way my teacher got those marks and the way they marked. I found it unfair, if you didn't, fine, but the topic of this thread is pet peeves about elementary school teachers. That was just one of my pet peeves about them and I'm allowed to elaborate on that because the topic is pet peeves about elementary school teachers.

You don't have to attack people and be rude about it, if you don't agree fine, but at least post something that's related to the topic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I think preoccupation over marks hinders learning, so I'm going to avoid releasing marks to students until report card time when possible (of course keeping communication with parents if a student is struggling). I really think marks at that age are irrelevant and don't help anything.

As for my pet peeve, my grade 6 teacher taught me BEDMAS wrong. I think elementary school teachers should be competent in everything (maybe a sort of exam to prove they know the curriculum). That was stupid that I didn't learn how to do something so simple correctly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ba Ba Blue wrote
I think preoccupation over marks hinders learning, so I'm going to avoid releasing marks to students until report card time when possible (of course keeping communication with parents if a student is struggling). I really think marks at that age are irrelevant and don't help anything.

As for my pet peeve, my grade 6 teacher taught me BEDMAS wrong. I think elementary school teachers should be competent in everything (maybe a sort of exam to prove they know the curriculum). That was stupid that I didn't learn how to do something so simple correctly.

Yeah, you're right they are irrelevant, but that's why it was so easy for elementary school teachers to fake marks (well some of mine, not all).

Yeah, that's exactly my point. Your grade 6 teacher was probably a social science major (no offense to any here) but they should still be competent in math if they are going to teach it. That's one flaw of the elementary school system, you have 1 teacher teaching you like 8 different subjects, when they may only have the prerequisite knowledge for one.

I mean, in my sister's class, the teacher asks one of the students for help with a math problem. That says something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I really don't think you need to have a math degree to teach math at an elementary school level. I agree with Ba Ba in that marks are completely irrelevant at that age. I think my elementary school experience is a bit different from others because I was often in gifted classes where no set curriculum was really followed. They were more focused on making sure we didn't get bored.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33

@ktel wrote
I really don't think you need to have a math degree to teach math at an elementary school level. I agree with Ba Ba in that marks are completely irrelevant at that age. I think my elementary school experience is a bit different from others because I was often in gifted classes where no set curriculum was really followed. They were more focused on making sure we didn't get bored.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

Yeah, I guess you are right. But, in high school, I noticed a huge jump in the quality of teaching in math compared to my elementary school teachers.

Theoretically, these teachers may have gotten 50s from grade 9 to grade 11 math, but still think they have the prerequisite knowledge to teach grade 8 math.

I guess because elementary school doesn't really matter, the requirements are not that strict and why you have one teacher who is geared towards one subject teaching 5 different subjects that she only has elementary knowledge in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0