yconic - Pharmacy: U of T or U of A?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Pharmacy: U of T or U of A?

A photo of wendyxu wendyxu
Hey guys! So I'm hoping to go into pharmacy but I'm not sure which school offers the best program. I'm choosing between either the university of alberta or the university of toronto. Some advice would be great! :) Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
U of T has awesome facilities, and it is in Toronto.

U of A is considerably less expensive (tuition is 6k/year but rising to about 8/9k/year vs U of T's tuition of 15k/year), the facilities aren't as nice (though we will moving to a new building next year), and I think the program is laid out better than U of T's: U of A has systems-based modular courses, meaning you learn all about the cardiovascular system in one course and then all about the nervous system in another course and so on; U of T has typical courses - you take a course on the physiology of all systems, another course on the pathology of all systems, another on the pharmacology of all systems.

I think the systems-based modular courses are better because there's a greater relationship between the physiology, pathology, pharmacology, etc... of one system than there is between the physiology of one system and physiology of another system or the pathology of one system and that of another system. I find the best way to learn pharmacy is to learn how, say, the heart normally works, how it can go awry in disease states, and then how you can treat those disease states (i.e. how you can bring pathophysiology to normal physiology). It helps when you learn all these concepts at once rather than learn the physiology of the heart, brain, endocrine system, GIT, etc... all at once, then learn the pathology of those systems all at once but at a different time than the physiology. This system makes it easier to compare the physiology of, say, the heart with that of the brain, but that's not so important for pharmacists (it would be important for physiologists).

U of A, unlike U of T, doesn't require that you have written the PCAT, which is kind of nice (though you'd probably write it anyway to maximize your chances of getting into a pharmacy school - U of T and UBC both require it).

All in all, both are great schools, and both will make you an excellent pharmacist. You will, however, be in quite a bit less debt if you go to U of A though (unless you live in Toronto, that is). Nevertheless, I think your concern at this point should be getting into pharmacy school. Worry about deciding between the two schools when, and if, you are accepted to both.

Was this helpful? Yes 0