yconic - PhD Mcgill CS v.s. Waterloo ECE
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

PhD Mcgill CS v.s. Waterloo ECE

A photo of chriswby chriswby
Hello guys,

I have been admitted to both Waterloo (ECE-Phd) and Mcgill (CS-Phd). Therefore, I would be grateful if anybody can provide some comments on the CS PhD program in Mcgill and ECE program in Waterloo.

I know that the CS in Waterloo is renowned, but how about its ECE? On the other hand, Mcgill is ranked higher than Waterloo overall, but is it a good reputable school for CS as well?

The most important criterion for me is the academic reputation. If I want to be a professor in the future, which one should I choose?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
You aren't going to get any opinions on PhD programs here; most of the posters are in high school still.

But as far as academic reputation goes, I think McGill would definitely serve you better. (Unless you want to stay in Canada, then it probably doesn't make a big difference. Since, as you said, Waterloo is known for math/engineering/comp sci.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks a lot for your comments. I have chosen McGill~

@Zion wrote
You aren't going to get any opinions on PhD programs here; most of the posters are in high school still.

But as far as academic reputation goes, I think McGill would definitely serve you better. (Unless you want to stay in Canada, then it probably doesn't make a big difference. Since, as you said, Waterloo is known for math/engineering/comp sci.)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks a lot for your comments. I have chosen McGill~

@Zion wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@chriswby wrote
Hello guys,

I have been admitted to both Waterloo (ECE-Phd) and Mcgill (CS-Phd). Therefore, I would be grateful if anybody can provide some comments on the CS PhD program in Mcgill and ECE program in Waterloo.

I know that the CS in Waterloo is renowned, but how about its ECE? On the other hand, Mcgill is ranked higher than Waterloo overall, but is it a good reputable school for CS as well?

The most important criterion for me is the academic reputation. If I want to be a professor in the future, which one should I choose?

bs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thePurpleEngineer thePurpleEngineer

@plato wrote

@chriswby wrote
Hello guys,

bs

lol I like seeing these dumb questions once in a while.

@chriswby, if you are still reading this, understand this:
When you DO look for a school to do a PhD, you do not pick the school by the school's reputation, but rather by the professors that work there, their research topics, and the research facilities that the school provides. NEVER go by the school's reputation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaitForIt WaitForIt
This doesn't make any sense. Anyone who was qualified enough to get into these PhD programs would already be immersed in the field and their area of research expertise to know the answer, have advisors who would have answered this question many times over long before the application process, and surely know the answer to this question is not related to highschool kids' opinion of reputation, but a host of other specific criteria.

Hey frosh, stop wasting people's time. If you have a real question, at least be honest and stop acting like a 17 year old.
Was this helpful? Yes 0