yconic - Philosophy Queen's versus U of T
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Philosophy Queen's versus U of T

A photo of Yeah Yeah
Hi,

I know this question may seem simple to answer, however I do not plan to stop at an undergraduate degree in Philosophy. I have a keen interest in the subject and the motivation to pursue it. I have been made an offer of admission to U of T St. George, as well as Queen's University. I know that Queen's has a lower ranking than that of U of T's in this field of study. That said, I would like to be able to complete my graduate studies at U of T. I believe Queen's would give me a better chance at obtaining this goal since in my opinion it would be easier to for me to maintain a higher GPA that is competitive. In my research I have come across rumors -- which are taken with a grain of salt -- that U of T requires Professors to give an average percent to the majority of the class, and that only a small minority ever obtain a great GPA. While this may be a rumor it makes sense to me, U of T is competitive and it has a large student body, and this is not saying that Queen's would be easy to get a high GPA.

I of course realize that Queen's is just as competitive of a school as U of T is, however I believe there would be greater resources available to me at Queen's to achieve this goal -- student support, easy access to professors, easier to study and less distraction. Both schools have their perks that is for sure, and I know fan boys of both will defend either to the end of time. I'm not asking the opinion of which one is better, or which one I should choose. I think the reason that this decision is difficult is simply because they are such good schools and while each has its different strengths, they are almost equal in comparison when tallied up. Anyways, the purpose of this post is simply to ask if there are any other factors I should be considering in my choice. Thank-you for spending time reading this and replying, it is appreciated. If there is anyone who has had a similar choice to make in humanities or the social sciences I would be more than thrilled to hear your reasoning behind your decision. Thanks again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you went to U of T, it would probably be easier for you to network with profs whom you would like to supervise you for your dissertation and graduate work later on. Remember, some of the profs who would teach you at U of T are also involved in graduate admissions committees, and could probably put in a good word for you if you impressed them during your undergrad. Also, U of T has a program that allows top philosophy students in their upper years to TA a first year philosophy class and do research with faculty members.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok
Isn't it a bit late to change your mind about which uni you're going to...? O_o; but anyways......

on topic,

honestly, philosophy being an arts strand, I honestly do not believe it would make a huge difference in terms of quality of education and such depending on the university you attend. Grad schools look at marks from universities using the same standard (as far as i am aware).

And with soooooooo many people changing their minds about their majors in uni; how can you be SO sure of what to do for the next 10; 20 years of our lives? University is a time for exploration.

So honest, pick the uni that best suits your interests in terms of campus, distance, cost, atmosphere, etc. Make a list, then give points to each one and let them battle each other out or something. =P

As for me, I obviously lean towards Queen's. The amazing atmosphere and the university town AND the higher GPAs AND the lower drop out rates...etc etc... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(better than) UT ANY DAY!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of monkey245 monkey245
It's probably too late now, but I'm also pursuing philosophy with the intent to go on to graduate school, and I picked U of T. In terms of having resources available to help you through it, I think it depends on the college you were accepted to. I picked Trinity partly with that kind of thing in mind... it's small and has some connections to the philosophy faculty, plus the academic donship program includes a grad or phD student in philosophy that can help with classes and homework. The decision was obviously complicated, but I thought it might help to know what I picked anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I have a good friend who chose Queens to do her Masters in Philosophy. According to her they were the strongest school in her field. I don't know what her field is though....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
Same here. I'm going to U of T. It has the top-ranked philosophy department in Canada, as well as 7th best worldwide (by QS). As I understand it, the competitiveness of graduate school application leads admissions to favour students from top departments, despite the subjectivity of the actual difference in quality of education and the metrics used to quantify department-rank (it's usually heavily weighted on publications, which has no necessary bearing on pedagogical quality). It's hard to say whether an average mark from U of T would outweigh an above-average mark from Queen's, though outside of Canada U of T's name definitely means a lot more than Queen's.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/arts-humanities/philosophy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@theboydetective wrote
7th best worldwide (by QS)

This gave me a good laugh. People will believe anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@theboydetective wrote

I said [as rated] by QS. Belief has nothing to do with it. I don't think that fact necessarily has any effect on educational outcomes; I do, however, think it has an effect on graduate school prospects. I think you're just eager to laugh at me to assert your legitimate intellectual superiority over my pretentiousness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@theboydetective wrote

@Zion wrote

@theboydetective wrote

I said [as rated] by QS. Belief has nothing to do with it. I don't think that fact necessarily has any effect on educational outcomes; I do, however, think it has an effect on graduate school prospects. I think you're just eager to laugh at me to assert your legitimate intellectual superiority over my pretentiousness.

And QS is the biggest joke in the world. If you honestly believe U of T has a better philosophy program than Stanford and Yale, then you're not going to make it to graduate school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's a good point. I didn't actually pay attention to any of the other rankings. Once again, though, you're trying to implicate my supposed beliefs. I am relaying information. If you were being objective, you'd be critical of the information, not my imposed belief in the information. I feel like you're being unreasonably contemptuous of me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@theboydetective wrote
That's a good point. I didn't actually pay attention to any of the other rankings. Once again, though, you're trying to implicate my supposed beliefs. I am relaying information. If you were being objective, you'd be critical of the information, not my imposed belief in the information. I feel like you're being unreasonably contemptuous of me.

I am being critical of the information, but I'm also being critical of you for believing it. U of T obviously does have a strong philosophy department, but to say it outranks Ivies is just preposterous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0