yconic - Philosophy school
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Philosophy school

A photo of AdamLaufer AdamLaufer
The program I know I want to take is philosophy, and I have Canadian law school in mind for after I graduate. The thing I'm having trouble deciding is which school I should go to for undergraduate studies in philosophy.

The two schools I've got in mind are Guelph and UofT. I've heard that for undergraduate, pre-law philosophy, it might be better to go to a more intimate school - somewhere where the services like food and residence and the teacher-student interaction would increase your overall well-being and thus your marks. That would have me leaning towards Guelph.

On the other hand, UofT is more prestigious, but I also hear that while the academics may be greater than at a place like Guelph, the overall student experience is weaker. I also don't fancy the idea of harder marking and larger classes, as well as the apparent "asian domination". Then again, all I know about the philosophy program specifically is that it is one of the most comprehensive, at least in Canada. Plus, since philosophy obviously isn't one of the most popular majors around, would overly large classes even be a problem?

I think in terms of non-academic factors, Guelph is more attractive to me, but Is UofT's philosophy program worth delving into instead, despite the school's possible downfalls? What would be the best option considering my interest in going to law school (possibly UofT law even). What would you guys do in my situation? Thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I would go to Guelph. You want to do well and get strong reference letters, which is more possible in a more intimate setting. Save U of T for law school or grad school, where the prestige really matters. That's also where U of T is the strongest, and why it gets its prestige.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdamLaufer AdamLaufer
That really makes sense, I think that's what I'm going to do. I suppose the only other question I have is is there any other Ontario universities that could be a good fit considering my program interest and situation. Applying costs cover up to three applications, so I might as well have a third school in mind :) Information regarding schools' strengths regarding undergraduate philosophy is pretty scarce.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I just had a friend go to Queens to do her Master's in philosophy. She seemed to think they had one of the best programs for what she wanted to study. I don't know any details other than that, but Queens would provide a similar environment to Guelph.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you want to go to a decent reputable school for philosophy and get higher marks Guelph is pretty good but you can also try Western, Mcmaster, Carleton and York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@AdamLaufer wrote
I also don't fancy the idea of harder marking and larger classes, as well as the apparent "asian domination".

Do you really think Asian parents would let their precious little kids go into a non-lucrative field like philosophy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of SiVisPacemParaBellum SiVisPacemParaBellum
^Your parents let you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0