yconic - PHY151: (Foundations of physics I).
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

PHY151: (Foundations of physics I).

A photo of Radiation Radiation
This is the calculus-based first year physics course at UofT. I am going to be taking this in first year, but I've only taken grade 11 physics and not grade 12. UofT says I can still take it so long as I have the math prerequisites. What can I expect in terms of difficulty? How can I prepare over the summer to have a great head start in Septembre? What are the class averages like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of flyingpig flyingpig
Sounds like it should only be Classical Mechanics.

There is going to be quite the difficulty if you didn't really do grade 12 because I am pretty sure they didn't introduce torque and rotational motion in grade 12. Physics classes in college usually fluctuates 50% to 70%. An average of about 61% to 68% is a normal distribution. Anything over 70% suggests the course should be a breeze.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@flyingpig wrote
Sounds like it should only be Classical Mechanics.

There is going to be quite the difficulty if you didn't really do grade 12 because I am pretty sure they didn't introduce torque and rotational motion in grade 12. Physics classes in college usually fluctuates 50% to 70%. An average of about 61% to 68% is a normal distribution. Anything over 70% suggests the course should be a breeze.

I have a rough idea of what torque is from the vectors portion of my calculus and vectors class. So, what would you suggest I do over the summer to prepare for this course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
A few of my friends that I know took this course found it difficult, and they'd taken Grade 12 physics. For preparation, all I can see you doing is taking Grade 12 physics in summer school. Do you require the course for your POSt and/or future plans?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote
A few of my friends that I know took this course found it difficult, and they'd taken Grade 12 physics. For preparation, all I can see you doing is taking Grade 12 physics in summer school. Do you require the course for your POSt and/or future plans?

The only summer school that offers it for my district is on the other side of the city, and yes I require it. What aspect of the class did your friends find the most difficult and what could they have done differently to do better?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@Radiation wrote

@littleroom wrote

The only summer school that offers it for my district is on the other side of the city, and yes I require it. What aspect of the class did your friends find the most difficult and what could they have done differently to do better?

I don't know, sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0