yconic - Physical Sciences at Mcmaster
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Physical Sciences at Mcmaster

A photo of nakhuda93 nakhuda93
So I was just wondering if there was anyone who is in this program, or who got into this program who could tell me a little bit more about what kinds of things you learn in this program, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of particle particle
I have friends who were in this program and the level I program is basically general science and math.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/calendar/current/pg1492.html

^ That's the undergraduate calendar from last year and it shows what courses you need to take and ones you can pick from. So you can check that out to see what you'll actually be learning. (Note: 3 units is a one term course)

You'd pick optional courses such that you can apply to level II programs in your second year, which the school considers mandatory for any science student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Hey, i also applied for mac phys sci and eng, and this is what i gathered from the program:

Like any phys sci program... its not that popular hah. Mac has a pretty good program though as far as i've seen. They contantly brag about having the strongest electron microscope in the world and there is TONS of research being done at Mac. My school visited for a lecture a month or two ago and they just sent in grad student after grad student showing us their research projects. Mac won 1st, 2nd and 3rd some canada-wide materials physics research competition thing this year. (i'd take that with a grain of salt though lol... i don't remember the name of the competition lol)

If you're having apprehensions about eng vs phys sci, know this. It's easy to switch between them from 1st and 2nd year. The core courses are very similar and you'd just have to take summer school to catch up.

Mac's a good choice for either one.

Go to Mac's website and you can see the syllabuses of what you learn and the specifics in each stream.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well from what I understand, Physical science is going to lead to a more research based job and engineering would be a more designing things job. Seeing how a lot of my family is engineers, it seems more fitting for me. Also if I am correct you can switch into a science program from engineering, but not the other way around. What type of engineering do you want to go into? I'm quite surprised that the engineering program (and most of mac programs) are still taking applications. Lots of schools have closed their programs. Could this be because of a decline in applications or is it always like that :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nakhuda93 wrote
Well from what I understand, Physical science is going to lead to a more research based job and engineering would be a more designing things job. Seeing how a lot of my family is engineers, it seems more fitting for me. Also if I am correct you can switch into a science program from engineering, but not the other way around. What type of engineering do you want to go into? I'm quite surprised that the engineering program (and most of mac programs) are still taking applications. Lots of schools have closed their programs. Could this be because of a decline in applications or is it always like that :/

No, i spoke to an engineer at Mac that started with physical science and he transferred to engineering later.

You misunderstood what i said. I'm going to Mac next year. I've been accepted to both Phys Sci and Eng. I applied at the same time as everyone else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I know you are going next year but what I meant was what type of engineering do you want to take?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's why i'm going to Mcmaster ;)

I get a year to decide.

It's looking like Engineering Physics, Biochemical or Mechanical though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No way! I was thinking about eng physics too, I heard mech eng is really hard to get into without free choice which I didn't get :( but honestly I would be happy with anything really, except for chemical and computer lol, those just aren't my forte.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Eng Phys is known as the hardest of all of them. You do the hardest math in the university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote
Eng Phys is known as the hardest of all of them. You do the hardest math in the university.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU...well thats kind of expected from a physics program. I'm not too bad at math but I just don't like having it first thing in the morning. You living on residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yup yup, just sent in my application!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you happen to get to the May at Mac? I was just wondering how the course selection works for engineering, when my brother went a couple years back he just picked engineering and it made his scheduled for him :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I did go to May@Mac but sadly i didn't ask that question and i sorta regret it LOL. But from what i've heard, they're going to email everyone info about that in june, and course selection will be in July. It'll be done online, and in engineering we won't have very many electives.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Aw yea! my bro said to take bio and economics because they easy and bio is sort of fun. Can't wait for the 3 hour lectures...:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, people say economics is a joke!

I wish we had more diversity in choosing electives. The list of stuff we get to pick is depressing.

Women studies? Really? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of particle particle

@nakhuda93 wrote
Aw yea! my bro said to take bio and economics because they easy and bio is sort of fun. Can't wait for the 3 hour lectures...:bounce:

I just wanted to say bio isn't really considered a bird course here at mac. Though econ 1b03 definitely is considered one. It's better to take courses you're interested in. I like to think it's a waste of time and money if you pick something just to boost your GPA. Then again, it is your call.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@particle wrote

@nakhuda93 wrote

I just wanted to say bio isn't really considered a bird course here at mac. Though econ 1b03 definitely is considered one. It's better to take courses you're interested in. I like to think it's a waste of time and money if you pick something just to boost your GPA. Then again, it is your call.

It's business I don't like, I'm into bio and was considering doing some bio programs, but i decided to take a more physics based route.
Was this helpful? Yes 0