yconic - Physics destroying my hopes and dreams
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Physics destroying my hopes and dreams

A photo of hanray hanray
*new here so sorry if this is in the wrong section*
My goal in grade 10 and beginning of grade 11 was to aim high for engineering programs in Ontario, which primarily meant I had my eyes set on Waterloo/McMaster. However that all changed when i got into physics -.- at first i didnt apply myself for the first unit and on my first test got a rude awakening, then I learned to get good marks I had to study which i did but even plus that I'm no where near the 80's and exams are just around the corner and it also doesn't help I have a teacher that assumes I know everything, so if i dont do good in physics this year should i just forget about engineering?/:
Particularly biomedical and software. I would get a tutor but its basically too late now but i will for science because I know if my math isn't good i can forget about engineering.
I also have chem this year if its important, but does physics really determine my whole future? My physics teacher told the class that if you dont do good in this course you'll have no future.......very encouraging eh?

Thanks in advance for honest and useful responses.

**Forgot to mention as well if its any use, I'm getting high 90's in my ICU3 course(comp sci) and also taking a mechanical engineering course TEJ3U 80's in that one as well and chem hopefully since i was good in it last year will be another strong boost this year
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of TheKey TheKey
I'm in the same situation as you. But it's not that bad. I'm getting a low 70's in Physics right now, and my teacher is extremely difficult when it comes to test. But, I have a few other marks that will make up for the low mark I get in Physics, and you're doing the same too.

But Waterloo and Mcmaster don't provide the only Engineering programs, there are plenty more out there. I personally know I won't be able to get into Waterloo or Mcmaster (maybe), but I try to keep my hopes up knowing there are other options available out there.

I mean, there's Ryerson, Carleton, Guelph, Ottawa that all have Biomedical Engineering programs, try getting into one of those universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
You're probably going to be doing some pretty physics-intensive courses in university, so unless you're absolutely comfortable with that, pick a field where you're stronger. I was getting somewhere in the 70s in 3U physics and I felt extremely discouraged as well, and although I improved my mark by the end, I was still disappointed. I'm taking grade 12 physics now and honestly I find it fine... it's nothing incredibly hard but I wouldn't be able to call it easy.

Are your teachers (referring to both of the above posters) actually that hard? How are you in comparison to the highest marks in the class and the class average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey
I'm above the class average. I was well above the class average in the beginning, but my mark slowly dropped.

I think my class average is around a 67%, but we do have many smart individuals in our class. No students in the 90% range, around 4 students within the 80%-89% range, with the highest mark in the class being an 87%. Around 8 students within the 70%-79% range (including me), around 8 students within the 60-69% range, and around 3 people within the 50%-59% range.

Is that similar to your class?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
My teacher opted to become incredibly generous during the last month of the semester, so we got a lot of free marks throughout. Everyone's marks should've been at least 5% lower though, I think. I finished with an 82, while the highest mark was somewhere around 90. The class average was around the high-70s I think. I didn't work nearly as hard as I did this year though, so right now I'm sitting around an 85, while the highest mark is 91 I believe. My current class distribution is approximately: 2 people in the 90s, 2-3 people 85-89, around 5-6 80-84, and a ton in the mid 70s. Lots of people came in this year with 90+s last year and many with 60s, but the difference in their marks now are very minimal. Unless you're absolutely sure that you're hopeless, just go on with it, grade 11 can't really hurt you. If you find it unbearable in grade 12, drop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of serious7 serious7

@TheKey wrote
I'm above the class average. I was well above the class average in the beginning, but my mark slowly dropped.

I think my class average is around a 67%, but we do have many smart individuals in our class. No students in the 90% range, around 4 students within the 80%-89% range, with the highest mark in the class being an 87%. Around 8 students within the 70%-79% range (including me), around 8 students within the 60-69% range, and around 3 people within the 50%-59% range.

Just to put it to perspective for you and the thread creator, I've gotten about ~95 in grade 11 physics and ~86 in grade 12 physics. In my grade 11 class, only 8 people got above 80 and I had the highest mark. In grade 12, only about ~20 people got above 80 (out of all the grade 12 students who took physics in my graduating year as we all had the same teacher). Guess what my mark was in my first term physics at Waterloo Engineering? 60 LOL. That can be partially attributed to the fact that I didn't try but in my second term physics I tried quite a bit more than I tried in high school and I only managed an 82 in second term physics.

My experience with people with marks of physics of around ~60-75 is that they don't get into Waterloo or Uft. They get shipped out to Ryerson or UOIT. That having been said, Physics is definitely not impossible and there are a lot more worse courses that you have to worry about than Physics in Engineering. Physics is definitely possible and you can master it if you work hard. I also did not try in high school and used to skip classes but that was only because I developed good last minute studying skills and understood the mentality that was required for physics. Work hard and gain that mentality now and you will find your self smooth sailing when you reach grade 11 and 12 and even University Physics. If you don't work hard and still end up in the path you are on right now, I'd say still try to get into Engineering. It isn't the end if you don't get into Waterloo/Uft. It all matters to how much you want to get there and I'm pretty sure you can if your worried this early. There's a lot of dumb kids that get accepted to Waterloo and they don't even care about whether they'll be graduating or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arka Arka
lol youll be fine man. its only grade 11. if you actually doing the work then i would def. recommend you take it in grade 12. its a little bit harder but its a whole lot more fun in grade 12! :) and again, about the eng. thing, if you like physics and math then go for it! Dont worry too much about how good you are at them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hanray hanray
Thanks guys maybe i do have a chance.....unless i suck at math too, then mcdonalds here i come :'(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey

@serious7 wrote

@TheKey wrote

Just to put it to perspective for you and the thread creator, I've gotten about ~95 in grade 11 physics and ~86 in grade 12 physics. In my grade 11 class, only 8 people got above 80 and I had the highest mark. In grade 12, only about ~20 people got above 80 (out of all the grade 12 students who took physics in my graduating year as we all had the same teacher). Guess what my mark was in my first term physics at Waterloo Engineering? 60 LOL. That can be partially attributed to the fact that I didn't try but in my second term physics I tried quite a bit more than I tried in high school and I only managed an 82 in second term physics.

My experience with people with marks of physics of around ~60-75 is that they don't get into Waterloo or Uft. They get shipped out to Ryerson or UOIT. That having been said, Physics is definitely not impossible and there are a lot more worse courses that you have to worry about than Physics in Engineering. Physics is definitely possible and you can master it if you work hard. I also did not try in high school and used to skip classes but that was only because I developed good last minute studying skills and understood the mentality that was required for physics. Work hard and gain that mentality now and you will find your self smooth sailing when you reach grade 11 and 12 and even University Physics. If you don't work hard and still end up in the path you are on right now, I'd say still try to get into Engineering. It isn't the end if you don't get into Waterloo/Uft. It all matters to how much you want to get there and I'm pretty sure you can if your worried this early. There's a lot of dumb kids that get accepted to Waterloo and they don't even care about whether they'll be graduating or not.

Thanks for the words of inspiration.

I didn't want to go to Waterloo or U of T anyways, also my marks aren't that high enough to get to those universities. I still keep my head up high and try to get through the grade 12 year knowing that I put my full effort. :)

My Physics teacher is hard. However, I think that will help in the long run. He's taught many students, and many of them have gone on to become Engineers, Doctors and other professions (that may or may not require physics).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tukr tukr
I wouldn't worry about it! I got a 75 and now I have a 95 in 4U physics - its possible!. It's definitely not the easiest course, but personally I found 4U chem way harder (maybe its just me haha), and it's not like I'm the smartest student - students that typically have averages that trump mine struggle, but just stick to your work and make sure you thoroughly understand everything.
If you really find that you don't want to do computer engineering you could always try comp sci - but honestly don't kill your goals of becoming an engineer until you have to, take functions & see how you find calc, you'll get lots of that too in university! You're still in grade 11, right? Just don't fret, remember they only really care about gr 11 marks for early admissions/scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0