yconic - Physics Problem.......
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Physics Problem.......

A photo of baller25 baller25
Earth is approximately 1.5x10^11 m from the sun. If the Earth orbits the Sun with a period of 365 days, determine Earth's centripetal acceleration.

*The answer in the book is 6.0x10^-3 m/s/s

Hope you guys can help with this one :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of goldendragon12345 goldendragon12345
Sorry cant help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
For this problem you need to use the formula for centripetal acceleration that states

Ac = (4π^2r) / T^2

(if you want to derive this formula yourself, start with the basic Ac = v^2 / r and substitute distance over time for velocity. Distance is circumference (2πr) and time is period (T)).

For this question, you'll have to convert your period into seconds to get units of m/s^2 at the end. I like dimensional analysis to do this, but use whatever method you like. After that, just put in your given numbers, and voila!

I got 6.0x10^-3 m/s^2 (this takes into account sig figs).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
steele, how did you make the pi symbol?

baller25, i would help, but i'm no good at physics [size=1] and i don't want to make a fool of myself [/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Beejeong Beejeong
basically what "steele" said.
It's a pretty simple question.

Use the Ac = (4π^2r) / T^2

Convert 365 days (the period) to seconds; which I got from Google - 31 556 926 seconds

The radius (r) is the distance between the Sun and Earth - 1.5x10^11 m

Plug in the values.

Answer i got was 5.9465 x 10^-3 m/s^2

Significant digits is 2, so the final answer should be ...

Ac = 6.0 x 10^-3 m/s^2
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of baller25 baller25

@steele wrote
For this problem you need to use the formula for centripetal acceleration that states

Ac = (4π^2r) / T^2

(if you want to derive this formula yourself, start with the basic Ac = v^2 / r and substitute distance over time for velocity. Distance is circumference (2πr) and time is period (T)).

For this question, you'll have to convert your period into seconds to get units of m/s^2 at the end. I like dimensional analysis to do this, but use whatever method you like. After that, just put in your given numbers, and voila!

I got 6.0x10^-3 m/s^2 (this takes into account sig figs).

Thanks a lot
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@Nyx wrote
steele, how did you make the pi symbol?

baller25, i would help, but i'm no good at physics [size=1] and i don't want to make a fool of myself [/size]

I've been making posts from my iPhone recently, so I just added a Greek keyboard along with the qwerty keyboard! :P

w00t!!!! ΕΡΤΥΘΙΟΠΑΣΔΦΓΗΞΚΛΖΧΨΩΒΝΜ
Was this helpful? Yes 0