yconic - Physics4U - Centripetal Force
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Physics4U - Centripetal Force

A photo of Beejeong Beejeong
What is the relationship between centripetal force and period?
What is the relationship between centripetal force and frequency?

What is the relationship between centripetal force and frequency squared?
What is the relationship between centripetal force and radius?

This might be hard, since you guys didn't do the lab..
It's the lab where you spin a mass... lol.

wow I'm lazy..

thanks for the helpp.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
You have to look at the equations for each one (centripetal force vs. circumference of the circle, etc.)
So the period is determined by the circumference and the velocity of the object. So assume r (the radius, which is proportional to the circumference) stays constant. So if velocity increases, period decreases. So let's say v doubles, so from mv^2/r, it turns into m(2v)^2/r which is 4x the original. You can kinda assume this is the same case when the velocity is halved, or tripled, etc. Since the velocity is inversely proportional to the period (P=circumference/velocity), we can assume that period is inversely square proportional to the centripetal force. (i.e., if the velocity is doubled, meaning the period is halved, the centripetal force is quadrupled)
Sorry I'm REALLY bad at explaining, but I'm hoping I got the point across. You can kinda do the same thing with all the other questions.
P.S. if you have to do it from a lab, you might have to use whatever data you collected to come to that conclusion, unless this is for a hypothesis lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Starstruck Starstruck
Wow, does everyone do this lab or something? I just finished mine this morning. :tongue:
Just as a side note to what iliketurtles said, it might be helpful to refer to the shapes of graphs relating the variables. First put F and f or F and T on the axes, and then do graphs comparing F and f^2, and F and T^2. This will help you clearly identify the proportionalities relating the variables. Visuals often help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0