yconic - Physics4U Egg Drop Contest
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Physics4U Egg Drop Contest

A photo of Beejeong Beejeong
Design a container to protect an egg when dropped.
Materials cost no more than $5
Dimensions do not exceed 30cm x 30cm x 30cm
Mass limit is 150g

Any ideas for a design?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Bubble wrap is your friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Truuue
What kind of material could absorb the impact of hitting the ground?
I'm trying to think in more of a physics aspect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I suppose a parachute is out of the question? :P

Just make an egg shape in Styrofoam (2 pieces that fit together) and make sure it's snug. And maybe add some air resistance (wings) if you're dropping the egg from a really high point.
Eggs are actually pretty strong, just make sure it lands vertically and there's something to cushion the fall and it shouldn't break.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I would recommend a container, with something like styrofoam and something soft inside, and covered in asphalt sealant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I did that with straws...how high is the egg going to be dropped from?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Is weight going to be a factor? Often the weight is measured for the winners (likely will be a few who drop safely). If so, this idea is even better.

Put the egg in a toilet paper roll (minus the toilet paper) and attach "wings" at the top of the tube. Jam a little bit of soft material at the bottom just to be safe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Nyx wrote
I did that with straws...how high is the egg going to be dropped from?

Only about 3-4 meters.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freedomdude0 freedomdude0
i rmb doing something like this back in grade 9
my partner and i spent countless hours on it but in the end it failed
and another student spend maybe 10 mins on it and his worked perfectly D:
the trick is to make yours light; maximize surface area to create air resistance
make a parachute if possible or add wings thus causing it to FLOAT down not drop down
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
We did this in my class, except we fired the egg containers out of potato cannons instead of dropping them! It was hard, because our capsule had to be less than 3 inches in diameter or else it wouldn't fit in the cannon. :P

I think I used a parachute to orient the craft to fall in the correct position, and then used a combination of styrofoam cups and water balloons to make a crumple/impact zone. The egg was in a carboard container situated above the impact zone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Put the egg in a container full of jello? (I'm not sure if this will work). :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Penguineer Penguineer
I remember a group of people at my school last year and their design won. They ran one leg of a pair of tights through the box length wise placed the egg in the middle (within the tights) then ran the other leg through the box width wise and somehow got it around the egg again.

They way they had it set up they could throw it hard at the ground and it never broke.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annemcdonald annemcdonald
Get a loaf of bread. Remove half the bread. Dig a hole in the bread for the egg. Place remaining bread in the bag. Fill bag with air. Seal bag.

:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@annemcdonald wrote
Get a loaf of bread. Remove half the bread. Dig a hole in the bread for the egg. Place remaining bread in the bag. Fill bag with air. Seal bag.

:)

Oooh, that's good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Penguineer wrote
I remember a group of people at my school last year and their design won. They ran one leg of a pair of tights through the box length wise placed the egg in the middle (within the tights) then ran the other leg through the box width wise and somehow got it around the egg again.

They way they had it set up they could throw it hard at the ground and it never broke.

Ooh, I was also thinking of using pantyhose somehow. Did it look something like...

I just drew that in paint lol.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Stranger wrote
Put the egg in a container full of jello? (I'm not sure if this will work). :p

lmfao ahahahah

All you guys have some creative suggestions.
Good ideas too. Thanks to all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Stranger wrote

@Penguineer wrote

Ooh, I was also thinking of using pantyhose somehow. Did it look something like...

haha nice draawwing, legitt.

remember it can't exceed 150g.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Beejeong wrote

@Stranger wrote

@Penguineer wrote

haha nice draawwing, legitt.

remember it can't exceed 150g.

I think this one would be really light cause all it would need is an empty box and a pantyhose. :)
And why thank you. XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11
I did this in grade 11. It has to hold 2 eggs and mine was a cup insoled with memory foam where my first egg could sit. The other egg was outside the top of the cup covered in a dome of memory foam. I also had a parachute which was used to slow the falling speed of the vehicle, and also ensure the cup would land upright as it had foam on the bottom aswell. It was only 46g and it withstood a toss from 3 stories.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Aside from dropping the egg from a 3 meter height,
a 25 pound weight will also be dropped on to the egg from a 3 meter height.

That's a tough one to accomplish.
Dropping the egg seems easy, and I think I have a lot of ideas, but the 25lb weight dropping on my egg? That's literally impossible..
[size=8]
Any ideas?[/size]

Also remember the weight must not exceed 150g, and dimensions must be less than 30x30x30cm.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Does the egg have to be in the same container for the drop and smash (can't fix it up a little)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Urnehpets wrote
You sir need to learn a bit from those ODST fellows.

ODST fellows? :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
LOL I did this last year in Physics 11..
Hardest thing ever, only one group was successful.
Use lots of straws, paper, and tape to cushion your egg for the drop.
Be very creative with the design.. don't just do a cone or box like the majority of us did.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What form will this weight be in? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Penguineer Penguineer

@Stranger wrote

@Penguineer wrote

Haha, ya it looked really similar to that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0