yconic - [Please Help] UBC Revoked my offer :(
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

[Please Help] UBC Revoked my offer :(

A photo of hieusername hieusername
Awhile ago UBC sent me an e-mail saying that my marks were significantly different from the marks I self-reported. I put in 86% for chemistry which was my class mark at the time, prior to the distributions of report cards. They received my marks (not "official transcript") and noticed that it dropped to 73%. The reason behind the drop was because I missed quite a number of tests and quizzes because I was sick and had to finish my school's BC Hydro Project. Fortunately, I was able to do my tests and yes, bring my mark back up to 86%. So my final mark for chemistry is 86%

I am currently holding
86% Chemistry
88% English
90% Math
87% History 12
My average is rounded to 88%

UBC just sent an e-mail to me today regarding that they revoked my offer and would re-evauluate.
"In late July, UBC will receive official final grades from the Ministry of Education. At that time, we will re-evaluate your application once more to determine if you meet the competitive average for admission to the Applied Biology program. If your admission average, based on your final grades, exceeds the competitive average and there is space in the program, UBC will reinstate your offer of admission to the Applied Biology program."

I'm very stressed about this situation. They told me that I shouldn't take my marks and self-report it unless it was my ministry print out ie, report card. However, the mark would've been 73% which does not clearly reflect my academic standings due to my absence and illness.

Will I be able to meet the competitive average?
I e-mailed UBC and they said the competitive average for UBC Applied Biology (first year undergrad) is mid-high 80s.

Thank you so much in advance!

My parents will kill me if they know I didn't make it into UBC. :( ugh so stressful...

EDIT: The average they calculated with 73% chemistry was approximately, 84% average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of mutuba mutuba
Assuming you're from B.C., the marks you were supposed to self-report should have been from either your second term report card or your ministry transcript, nothing else. Even though you may feel like those marks aren't an accurate representation of your abilities or qualifications, you still have to do it. I really don't see how you can do anything about your situation other than wait for their final decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AhIsee AhIsee
Your going to have to wait, but, since you brought it back up, I don't see any hassles. I don't believe they already "gave" your spot away, their simply withholding it at the moment to see if you truly deserve it. :bounce:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ The e-mail from UBC sounds exactly like they 'gave' the spot away, and the OP must now wait to see if a new spot opens up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AhIsee AhIsee

@ktel wrote
^ The e-mail from UBC sounds exactly like they 'gave' the spot away, and the OP must now wait to see if a new spot opens up.

I know the mention of space in the email, however, if you think of it, why would they even re-evaluate him at all if there's no admission slots left? Might as well send him an email that says, "Better luck next year." Cause you would think they kept or revoked all the offers already, thus, they know the "position" in spots.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
They're not trying to play some sort of mind game with the OP. I'm not denying that there is probably a spot available, but they're not going to hold one for the OP until late July when they receive the final marks that will show whether the OP is indeed eligible for the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AhIsee AhIsee

@ktel wrote
They're not trying to play some sort of mind game with the OP. I'm not denying that there is probably a spot available, but they're not going to hold one for the OP until late July when they receive the final marks that will show whether the OP is indeed eligible for the program.

True, still an akward situation for the OP. Best of luck I figure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of markjay markjay
I think I'm a little bit confused. So, you mean that UBC revoked your offer due to your grade report inconsistency? When did they offer you an early admission? Cause I know that if you're from BC, the Minisstry of Education sent out our marks to UBC last month (May. If UBC offered you an early admission, it means that you have to drop your average to 67% before they're going to revoke the offer!! (and on this part I truly felt confused, because the already offered you and saw your second term marks).

Regarding your question, you can call them for sure and tell them that you got sick and you were hospitalized (if you were). They'll understand it and you can also show to them some proofs that you truly got sick! :)

My councilor told me that self-reporting your marks must be the same with the marks sent out by the ministry of education, so to avoid the worst scenario, I didn't self-report my mark and just waited for the ministry of education to sent out my marks to UBC. it was a good move and I received an offer couple days after!! :)

You must call them and just explain what really happen, they'll understand that for sure!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of acwlin acwlin
same thing happened to me but im not going there anyway since they dont have criminology
and i phoned the ppl at UBC and they're expecting the faculty of arts to be full in July. Should be the same for other faculties too. To be honest, i like SFU better than UBC for soo many reasons :

1) campus is nice!! (ppl said its not but i totally disagree)
2) GREAT courses, so many options!
3) professors are nicer and easier to find (they encourage students to go to them for help if needed)
4) CO-OP is not competitive!!!!! (many other great things about the co-op program but too many to list! =P)
5) its not that far away (same as UBC distance wise)

Thats all i can remember off the top of my head right now but you should consider SFU!!
But if u do get another offer from UBC.. congratulations!!!! =D DONT GIVE UPPPP!! ~~
Was this helpful? Yes 0