yconic - [PLEASE HELP] What should I do?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

[PLEASE HELP] What should I do?

A photo of S41nTsBuRY S41nTsBuRY
I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to read my post and help me out with this situation as I'm really stressed out right now.

I applied to Ryerson for Business Management, Business Technology Management & Retail Management, as well as Trent for Business Administration (both Oshawa and Peterborough campus). My first choice would be Ryerson.

Here's my dilemma:

First semester is coming to a close, and I totally bombed it. Here's my first semester courses and what I think I'm going to be getting after the last 2 exams are completed (these projected marks are quite accurate):

Accounting - 55
Advanced Functions - 62
International Business - 77

Please don't point and laugh, I know I screwed up. I'm honestly prepared to work my ass off in second semester, but at this point, is it too late? Here are my second semester courses:

English
Business Leadership
Calculus & Vectors

I've already signed up for night school for Advanced Functions, and I hope to get at least an 82. As for Accounting, I've signed up for virtual school to retake it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I have a grade 12 credit from taking piano lessons (course code is AMX4M1, I got a 73 in that.....) that I could use as one of my courses in my top 6 to replace my accounting mark (yes, a 73 is absolute crap). If I continue with accounting, it means I'll have 5 courses during second semester (3 in day school, 1 in night school and 1 in virtual school), which means I'll be packed with work. Should I keep accounting and just work my ass off for the better mark?

Also, I'm afraid that by the time I've completed the repeated courses, it'll be too late and Ryerson will already have looked at my first semester marks (first attempt) and based their decision on those marks. Will Ryerson look at my second semester marks and repeated courses?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
What's the average cut-off for your program?
what are the pre-requisite courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Average cut off is like high 70s-low 80s. As for prerequisites, only ENG4U and MCV4U are required, the rest can be U/M courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
s41ntsbury, best bet is to call ryerson and ask them how they will view the retaken courses. Explain your situation to them.

Ryerson Undergraduate Admission
Phone: 416-979-5036
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

And your worst worst case scenario, even if you dont make it ( i am not saying you wont, theres a good chance I think), you can always stay back just 1 semester, retake a few courses and reapply next year. Nothing wrong with that, an extra 1 semester could make a difference on your entire future. I know some people who did it and it was the best choice they've made.

In any case I think you should be fine though, Im pretty sure Ryerson looks at repeated courses. Anyways call them Monday.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
I know for a fact Ryerson doesn't care about repeated courses, they'll take the higher of the two, so don't even worry about that. If you still want to confirm this, go ahead and call them and ask.

As for 5 courses, it's going to be fairly tough but definitely doable, If you think you won't be able to handle it then I'd advise you to stay back another semester in high school next year.

Don't be worried about them looking at your first semester marks. For example say you retake accounting second semester and you got an 85 at midterm. They'll take the 85 and won't even consider the first semester mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the responses guys!

Oh and one more thing, I'm like 99.9% certain there's no supplementary application for Ryerson or Trent, but being the paranoid person that I am, I'm gonna ask it here just to make sure. So basically, after choosing the courses on the OUAC online application website and paying the application fee, I'm done right? There's no other forms or essay I have to write for both Ryerson and Trent, right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0