yconic - Please Just Answer This!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Please Just Answer This!

A photo of Nitrous Nitrous
Now that all of my grades are wrapped up, could people give me insight If I will be accepted to the following schools. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT, and promise to never write another chance me again or anything annoying on this forum....I have been quite annoying I am aware ;)

Queen's Arts (Number 1)
Ryerson Business Management
Mcmaster Social Science (Economics)
Guelph Sociel Science (Economics)
Laurier (Economics)

Top Six

English 77
Data Management 88
Economics 81
World Issues 83
Religion 88
International Business 93
Advanced Functions: 58 (not in top six...clearly)
Average: 85%

Extra Curricular Activities

Assistant Coach of Elementary Schools Junior and Senior Baseball Teams (Boys and Girls)
Lead umpire at Private School Softball Tournaments
Member of Highschool's Baseball Team
Member of Highschool's Football Team
Member of Highschool's Athletic Council
Member of Highschool's Student Council
Part Time Job: Grocery Store (15 hours a week)
Leader of Elementary School’s Chess Club
Field Manager of Provincial Baseball Playoffs
Volunteer at local church ( Busboy for dinner events)

Chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm not entirely sure, but some of those programs that you've listed may require your Advanced Functions as a prerequisite. That would then include that grade into your average (which unfortunately lowers your high grades significantly). I'm almost positive Ryerson Business Management will require a math.

Anyways, Queen's is obviously also competitive, but you have a high enough average and your extra curricular is strong as well. You'll have to complete a Personal Statement of Experience, which is basically short answer essay questions. You should really just research the academic requirements for each of the programs on the university websites or call for more info. Generally they're very helpful and let you know what kind of average they are expecting.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nirvie nirvie
I'm not sure on the averages either - of the ones you listed I only applied to Queen's, which I think you should be alright for.

I just wanted to warn you that if you struggled with Advanced Fucntions in high school, you'll probably struggle with an Economics major. If you don't take calculus in high school (which some Econ programs require) you'll likely have to take an equivalent in first year, and it will definitely be used in upper year courses. At Waterloo specifically we have to take a 2nd year calculus/linear algebra class, a 2nd year stats and a 3rd year econometrics (more stats!).. even though you haven't applied to Waterloo, the programs will likely be structured very similarly across the schools you have applied to.
Just be prepared :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cowmanwow Cowmanwow
tbh i really think you should retake advanced functions and try to hit that 80's mark
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thay Thay
Should be fine for Ryerson because u only need one 4U math so u don’t have to worry about advanced functions

Mcmaster you are good

For Guelph if you are doing Ba In econmics u are good but if you are doing Management Economics and Fianace(Bcomm) your average is not that good because you need advanced functions and one other math so ur average would then be about 81

Laurier you should be fine according to the website you only need ENG4U as a prerequisite but einfo tells me you need atleast min 70% in advanced functions, so maybe you should contact the school

Not sure about queens but it is a competitive school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101

For Guelph if you are doing Ba In econmics u are good but if you are doing Management Economics and Fianace(Bcomm) your average is not that good because you need advanced functions and one other math so ur average would then be about 81

University of Guelph Cut off for Bcomm is 75 to 80 but since Nitrous is applying to BA he/she should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0